Unused Logos and Uniforms

Apparently, back when Duke and Georgetown first rolled out their BFBS alternates in the late '90s, UNC was supposed to follow suit with a dark-blue alternate. It never saw the court.

ZDVgNnM.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROTOTYPE-1-1-VINCE-CARTER-navy-alt-North-Carolina-authentic-Nike-jersey-44-unc-/111865521146?hash=item1a0bb463fa:g:3zMAAOSwa-dWia-b

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'm pretty sure the Penguins logo seen here was the prototype logo for 1967.

12800351424_b5d0d7d184_b.jpg

4220-image-450-550-fit.jpg?MxODywol

I first saw that logo waaaay back in the 1990s when I was watching a documentary about the 1967 expansion. They showed rare footage of the six expansion teams playing each other and then doing interviews for the press. It was in this video the Seals were still wearing their WHL uniforms. They then showed a graphic showing all the logos for the new teams. This logo flashed on the screen for the Penguins.

I always remembered that and spent years on the Internet trying to find it (thinking it was all my imagination). Until I stumbled across this ad from 1967.

I always remembered the triangle looking like a normal triangle in that the point was facing upwards and the Penguin was leaning back with his stick in the air.

Then they modified the logo before the season to this

269.png

Changing the triangles position and having the Penguins with his stick on the ice. As well as a roundel being added to the logo.

The Catch of the Day!

Apparently, back when Duke and Georgetown first rolled out their BFBS alternates in the late '90s, UNC was supposed to follow suit with a dark-blue alternate. It never saw the court.

ZDVgNnM.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROTOTYPE-1-1-VINCE-CARTER-navy-alt-North-Carolina-authentic-Nike-jersey-44-unc-/111865521146?hash=item1a0bb463fa:g:3zMAAOSwa-dWia-b

Good idea to never let these see the light of day by UNC - those aren't good.

• Like 2

I am positive that the "stargazing penguin" is not an unused prototype, but rather just a goof on the part of the ad agency. Notice that the Blues logo is crooked as well.

It honestly looks like someone thought the triangle was supposed to point upwards. It seems silly to us now that we're used to it, but if you're given that logo and have never seen it before, I suppose you could assume it's supposed to be positioned like that.

I first saw that logo waaaay back in the 1990s when I was watching a documentary about the 1967 expansion. They showed rare footage of the six expansion teams playing each other and then doing interviews for the press. It was in this video the Seals were still wearing their WHL uniforms. They then showed a graphic showing all the logos for the new teams. This logo flashed on the screen for the Penguins.

I always remembered that and spent years on the Internet trying to find it (thinking it was all my imagination). Until I stumbled across this ad from 1967.

I always remembered the triangle looking like a normal triangle in that the point was facing upwards and the Penguin was leaning back with his stick in the air.

269.png

Changing the triangles position and having the Penguins with his stick on the ice. As well as a roundel being added to the logo.

I actually know exactly what the deal is with that tilted Penguins logo. It was explained to me at one point and then I saw a purchased jersey from that era that fully corroborated the story.

Way back, before jerseys were common products, department stores like Sears or Hornes were given contracts to make jerseys, rather than just sell them. They'd be given patterns and the jerseys would be made in that stores' distribution system, sometimes the crests would be made elsewhere and added (which is why you can still find the old 8" Penguins crest loose if you look around). In those early days in areas where hockey wasn't well known, it was a very common mistake to put the penguin sideways, as though the penguin were running because it never occurred to them what skating looks like. If you see a Pittsburgh jersey from the late 60s, it's not uncommon to find a crooked logo on it.

United clearly had little experience watching hockey and thought the same thing.

I'll have to try find a photo, it was so cool seeing that story come to life

• Like 1

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

269.png

I actually know exactly what the deal is with that tilted Penguins logo. It was explained to me at one point and then I saw a purchased jersey from that era that fully corroborated the story.

Way back, before jerseys were common products, department stores like Sears or Hornes were given contracts to make jerseys, rather than just sell them. They'd be given patterns and the jerseys would be made in that stores' distribution system, sometimes the crests would be made elsewhere and added (which is why you can still find the old 8" Penguins crest loose if you look around). In those early days in areas where hockey wasn't well known, it was a very common mistake to put the penguin sideways, as though the penguin were running because it never occurred to them what skating looks like. If you see a Pittsburgh jersey from the late 60s, it's not uncommon to find a crooked logo on it.

United clearly had little experience watching hockey and thought the same thing.

I'll have to try find a photo, it was so cool seeing that story come to life

That's pretty neat. I know this is a one-year logo, but now I'll never be able to unsee the bottom tip of the triangle not touching the circle.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

It was also in a video though. That documentary I mentioned had the logo of each team flash on the screen and for Pittsburgh it had that triangle up version.

But yeah an error whether its from the ad agency or from the documentary video editor does make sense.

Still Johnny Canuck has his stick up too.

10h38u9.jpg

The Catch of the Day!

ZDVgNnM.jpg

Call me crazy, but that's not a terrible jersey.

spacer.png

ZDVgNnM.jpg

It's not terrible, but it wouldn't work for UNC.

ZDVgNnM.jpg

It's not terrible, but it wouldn't work for UNC.

It's better than the BFBS that's for sure.

Maybe not appropriate for this thread since it was "used", but here's an odd variation of the Flyers logo from the mid '70s.

shero01.jpg4907-480Fr.jpgshero650.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When the Penguins first unveiled their new logo, it was separate from when they unveiled the new jerseys. There were some instances of the new logo on old jerseys. Somewhere I have a Penguins Kids Club hat from that year where Iceburgh (the Pens' mascot) is wearing this jersey.

It's a bit weird to see, knowing that this look never happened.

pmmed93.jpg

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Just a quick off-topic note here. Did you know before the Pittsburgh Penguins there was the Portland Penguins!!??

33c3x8h.jpg

The team was originally called the Portland Eagles but changed their name to Penguins in 1949. It was so unpopular that after one season they reverted back to Eagles in 1950.

They played in the PCHL which was later reorganized into the WHL.

• Like 3

The Catch of the Day!

I am positive that the "stargazing penguin" is not an unused prototype, but rather just a goof on the part of the ad agency. Notice that the Blues logo is crooked as well.

Same with the Red Wings logo.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃