76ers new logo(s) and uniforms

ScubaSteve

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a basketbal guy, like at all.

Can somebody explain why they would go with a jersey with "Phila" instead of the full name?

Philadelphia is long, alternate city names/nicknames/abbreviations on jerseys are trendy (Motor City/Rip City/ATL/PHX), and they did it on their old jerseys in the 60s.

Can somebody explain why they would go with a jersey with "Phila" instead of the full name?

Philadelphia is long, alternate city names/nicknames/abbreviations on jerseys are trendy (Motor City/Rip City/ATL/PHX), and they did it on their old jerseys in the 60s.

So it's more welcome in the NBA than say the NHL?

I know people hate "Sens" and "Bolts" in the NHL, so I was surprised to see the support of the Phila jersey.

I know people hate "Sens" and "Bolts" in the NHL, so I was surprised to see the support of the Phila jersey.

I actually wouldn't classify this the same way I would the city nickname trend a la Motor City, Rip City or Sens and Bolts. This is about the Sixers attempting to blend eras of its history. If I'm following this all correctly, these jerseys will merge the Wilt Chamberlain era of the Sixers (He wore a PHILA jersey in his 100-point game) by using PHILA on the front with the Dr. J-era Sixers by incorporating stars on the sides.

In other words, using the awkward abbreviation for Philadelphia isn't to capitalize on trends as much as it is a throwback.

That's an important distinction. "PHILA" wasn't created by a marketing agency looking to sell merchandise. That's why they largely get a pass.

Neither were ATL, PHX or Motor City. They may have been put on jerseys to sell merch, but they were created neither by marketing execs nor for that purpose.

And PHILA is being put on these jerseys to sell merch as well. If they could sell more with "Sixers" or "Philadelphia," they'd put those.

That's an important distinction. "PHILA" wasn't created by a marketing agency looking to sell merchandise. That's why they largely get a pass.

Right, which is the very reason that I believe Phoenix, Atlanta, and New Orleans are never justified in sinking low to use "PHX", "ATL", or "NOLA". I don't care if it's cool with the kids and teens, it looks desperate for attention and gimmicky when a city name - that can fit on a jersey just fine - gets abbreviated for no good reason.

At least there's a good, functional reason behind the use of "PHILA", which intentions aren't gimmicky like the others.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Neither were ATL, PHX or Motor City. They may have been put on jerseys to sell merch, but they were created neither by marketing execs nor for that purpose.

And PHILA is being put on these jerseys to sell merch as well. If they could sell more with "Sixers" or "Philadelphia," they'd put those.

Yes, they were. They were absolutely designed by a marketing team to create a buzz around the team and its products. You can't say the same about the original "PHILA", which is why I personally don't see them as being anywhere near the same.

These and Milwaukee will almost negate the inevitable failures that the Clippers, Hawks and Raptors will release.

Your joking right?? Right?? Clippers and Raptors jersey fails is legendary before they are even revealed

giphy.gif

Not sure exactly what you're trying to say, but yes, by the looks, sounds and all senses, the Clippers, Raptors and Hawks will release some generic, lack luster garbage.

sig.png

Yes, they were. They were absolutely designed by a marketing team to create a buzz around the team and its products. You can't say the same about the original "PHILA", which is why I personally don't see them as being anywhere near the same.

Detroit has been called Motor City for the better part of a century. Atlanta has been called ATL at least since the 90s (just ask Outkast), and likely much longer. Not sure about the origins of PHX but it has been an abbreviation for Phoenix for as long as I can remember.

So, no, these colloquial names were absolutely, provably not designed by the marketing teams of the associated NBA franchises. They existed long before they were used by these teams for merch, and in at least one case (ATL), they were very common nicknames for the city in at least some local communities.

Now, the decision to put them on NBA team merchandise was absolutely motivated by profit and the desire to "create a buzz". But the names themselves were no more conceived by NBA marketers than PHILA was. I'm not sure why you think that, just because the Sixers have used this nickname on past uniforms, it means their decision to use it for the new uniforms is any less motivated by profit or creating a buzz than any of the others examples we've discussed.

The Raptors might be decent. The Hawks...they could be, but by the looks of things I expect something not-so-good. But I'll wait till the unveil. And we know that the Clippers will unveil an abomination cause we've all seen the leaks. I bet they won't be tweeting any fan responses like the Bucks did because nobody likes the new uniforms.

Detroit has been called Motor City for the better part of a century. Atlanta has been called ATL at least since the 90s (just ask Outkast), and likely much longer. Not sure about the origins of PHX but it has been an abbreviation for Phoenix for as long as I can remember.

So, no, these colloquial names were absolutely, provably not designed by the marketing teams of the associated NBA franchises. They existed long before they were used by these teams for merch, and in at least one case (ATL), they were very common nicknames for the city in at least some local communities.

Now, the decision to put them on NBA team merchandise was absolutely motivated by profit and the desire to "create a buzz". But the names themselves were no more conceived by NBA marketers than PHILA was. I'm not sure why you think that, just because the Sixers have used this nickname on past uniforms, it means their decision to use it for the new uniforms is any less motivated by profit or creating a buzz than any of the others examples we've discussed.

Sure, those nicknames weren't created for the explicit use of marketing a basketball team, but their application on the front of a basketball jersey was absolutely contrived by a marketing team to appeal to consumers. That's the point Gothamite was making, at least as it relates to PHILA.

That abbreviation was applied at a time when jersey sales were irrelevant. It was merely a functional way to shorten the city's name, which is why it's historic application seems to be acceptable to so many.

Sure, those nicknames weren't created for the explicit use of marketing a basketball team, but their application on the front of a basketball jersey was absolutely contrived by a marketing team to appeal to consumers. That's the point Gothamite was making, at least as it relates to PHILA.

That abbreviation was applied at a time when jersey sales were irrelevant. It was merely a functional way to shorten the city's name, which is why it's historic application seems to be acceptable to so many.

But how does the fact that they first did it 40 years ago make it any less contrived now? Are you saying the use of PHILA in 2015 was not contrived by a marketing team to appeal to consumers?

We're all in agreement that the USE ON MODERN JERSEYS (but not the initial creation) of ATL/PHX/Motor City was contrived by NBA marketers. I'm just not sure why you're ascribing purer motives to the Sixers simply because it's not the first time it's been used in this team's history.

The fact is that ALL PROFESSIONAL SPORTS UNIFORM DESIGN today is just as contrived. These are businesses worth hundreds of millions of dollars. They're not rebranding because they're CCSLC aficionados who love jersey design. They're maximizing their profits, and the design decisions they make in the process are geared toward that goal.

I didn't think the argument was about whether the use of PHILA was a marketing gimmick or not. The question was about why its use seems more acceptable than the PHX/NOLA/ATL abbreviations.

The point Gothamite was making — of which I agree — is that use of PHILA on a jersey was not, in its earliest use, applied with marketing in mind.

Nobody's trying to make an argument that marketing and jersey sales aren't part of its use today. But at least it has a prior history with the team, unlike the application of PHX/NOLA/ATL, which makes it more palatable to some.

The Raptors unveil is going to be decent now??

I don't think something like this will be a disaster. Spectacular? No. But passable if the smaller details have been executed right...

Toronto-Raptors-New-Uniform-Mockup-2-590

The Raptors unveil is going to be decent now??

I don't think something like this will be a disaster. Spectacular? No. But passable if the smaller details have been executed right...

Toronto-Raptors-New-Uniform-Mockup-2-590

It's not a disaster but when you consider what they had before and what could have been done (there's a concept in the Raptors thread that absolutely nails the redesign), you can see that what they made was a half@$$ed attempt

Here's the concept: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/101558-toronto-raptors-rebrand/page-26#entry2433797

Archived