NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

That said, if passed, those who live in Glendale will just go to a neighboring suburb to shop for groceries and many other items; teams will still take a bus and stay in Scottsdale over the Glendale Renaissance.

Looking at a map, Glendale is basically a giant backward L. An _|. It looks really easy to leave city limits to buy things.

Closer to home, I can see how people will choose not to pay sales taxes they feel are too high. Far northern Cook County is Detroitishly covered with vacant commercial real estate while far southern Lake County is dotted with new strip malls and lifestyle centers and such. And Lake County taxes aren't much better!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Don't stop there - it was just getting good.

These expenses outweigh Glendale's Coyotes-related revenue by such a degree that Moody's has downgraded the city's bond rating twice in the last 18 months, citing the city's ongoing hockey payments. In part due to the Coyotes, the city's reserve fund has fallen to $11.7 million from $72.5 million six years ago. Facing a projected $35 million budget gap?in a city whose general revenue funds in the most recent fiscal year amounted to $142.6 million?Glendale is proposing to raise its property and sales tax rates, while slashing library hours and hiking fees for city services.

They're already on the verge of ruining themselves. Now Glendale wants to up their payments? Madness.

A bond rating downgrade makes every other function of the city more expensive. Glendale is essentially saying it will never be able to pay for any capital project ever again because it wants a hockey team.

Could this possibly happen in another sport? Is hockey so invisible to the rest of the country that we get to pretend that a city isn't doing this itself, abetted by terrible people running a sports league?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That said, if passed, those who live in Glendale will just go to a neighboring suburb to shop for groceries and many other items; teams will still take a bus and stay in Scottsdale over the Glendale Renaissance.

Looking at a map, Glendale is basically a giant backward L. An _|. It looks really easy to leave city limits to buy things.

Closer to home, I can see how people will choose not to pay sales taxes they feel are too high. Far northern Cook County is Detroitishly covered with vacant commercial real estate while far southern Lake County is dotted with new strip malls and lifestyle centers and such. And Lake County taxes aren't much better!

The bigger issue is that while Birmingham and Montgomery, AL have the highest state/local sales tax combined, the Phoenix area (Maricopia County) has towns/cities with populations over 100K within the top ten. They know may not care for an additional .002 cents/dollar as they are top five in taxes right now. If you need gas in Glendle, then you will get gas. It is the impact on property taxes which will be more important for new home sales/re-sales.

I think it's a safe assumption at this point that there will be a Phoenix Coyotes NHL franchise for 2012-13, whether or not games are played for the season. The timing of the Jamison announcement makes this last year's Hulsizer dog-and-pony show all over again. The specifics of the sale will get presented to the Glendale city council and be approved, the Goldwater Institute will step in and kindly remind all parties involved of Arizona's Gift clause (again), and the offer will fall apart without the promise of public subsidy, with league and city officials lamenting that they would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling fiscal conservatives. Then, the league will announce that it's too late in the offseason to begin the process of finding an owner anew in time for 2012-13, so league ownership will regrettably continue for the forseeable future, and hey Glendale could you float another 25 million our way we're totally good for it kthxbai.

The difference between this year and last is that this offseason does not appear to have the confluence of potential buyer (TNSE) and potential seller (Atlanta Spirit) both approaching their :censored: -or-get-off-the-pot moments. Quebecor isn't going to have that shiny new hockey palace up until 2015, so in the interim, this game can keep getting played until that crucial moment once again arises. And maybe by then, there's another team instead of the Coyotes that can be shuffled northward, perhaps after Bill Daly quietly purchase large blocks of tickets to several games at Nassau Coliseum and leaves them at Will Call under "Péladeau".

The only thing that derails this is if the votes on the Glendale city council go from 4-3 to 3-4. One councilperson's change of heart gets the team and the league off the government teat and likely out of town, but I don't know the likelihood of that happening.

I already look forward to next year's thread, and the creative titles it shall have.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

With te amount of money glendale has paid, plus the amount they are going to pay, they must be pretty close to being able to buy the team themselves...

Begs the question, why don't they. They'd have to spend 92 million under this plan, plus the 25 they've already spent. They're already well on their way to full ownership of the team at 170 mil. Which is why this plan is so asinine. Jamison isn't buying the team, Glendale is and then gifting it to him.

Anyone know if I can write a check to the Goldwater Institute?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Jamison is clearly a wizard when it comes to marketing. He raised the Dallas Mavericks in the 80s from nothing into a team with a well-run management system. Seemed to do much of the same with the Pacers for a 6-year stint after that.

He was with the Mavericks from 1980-1987. 1980 was their first NBA season.

He was with the Pacers from 1987-1993.

Jamison seems to do very well with the money from other people, but does not have the cash himself to operate a major franchise. He knows people with more money than him, but that is the issue; those with more money want a faster investment on their money. This deal allows him to use the cioty money like he had Don Carter money (Mavs) and Simon money (Pacers) for him to do his job nearly 20 years ago.

Jamison has money, but he has not made sports franchise money even at the NHL level. He has country club $$, not the ability to start a first class country club $$!

The bigger issue is that while Birmingham and Montgomery, AL have the highest state/local sales tax combined, the Phoenix area (Maricopia County) has towns/cities with populations over 100K within the top ten. They know may not care for an additional .002 cents/dollar as they are top five in taxes right now. If you need gas in Glendle, then you will get gas. It is the impact on property taxes which will be more important for new home sales/re-sales.

For smaller purchases, you might be right. But what about the car dealer quoted in the article, who rightly fears that the extra $300+ dollars this will add to the price of a car will send his customers one Town over?

Tourists may not realize that sales taxes are higher in Glendale, but the locals sure will. I know plenty of people who will drive a couple extra miles for their regular errands, willing to hop a city line to regularly buy groceries, clothes or to fill up their tank.

For smaller purchases, you might be right. But what about the car dealer quoted in the article, who rightly fears that the extra $300+ dollars this will add to the price of a car will send his customers one Town over?

Tourists may not realize that sales taxes are higher in Glendale, but the locals sure will. I know plenty of people who will drive a couple extra miles for their regular errands, willing to hop a city line to regularly buy groceries, clothes or to fill up their tank.

Honestly, it happens on a daily basis, whether people realize it or not. I work in Tempe, live in Glendale, and drive through Phoenix every day, and my commute is only 20 miles. Glendale is essentially a part of Phoenix, there's not a clear division. Like most of the outer-limit suburbs that are connected to the city (Scottsdale, Gilbert, Chandler), it's a little more expensive to live there. It's not something that would make a huge difference to the majority of the people living here, IMO? we're not making large purchases like cars/houses every day.

You know, I don't think it was Greg Jamison who joined the Indiana Pacers in 1987 and made them a stable, successful franchise. I think it was someone else.

No worries about the Blues being the sacrifice, sale was complete as of today.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=395468

The NHL board of governors has approved the sale of the St. Louis Blues to a group headed by St. Louis beer distributor Tom Stillman, the league announced Wednesday.

The sale price was not disclosed, but is believed to be about US$130 million.

baltimoreravens.png

Good. Glad that's finally settled and the Blues will be on solid ground. First order of business for Stillman should be to see what kind of prices the market can bear; I've suspected that they've been leaving money on the table for years.

At that price, though, like with Tampa, you're buying real estate with a free hockey team thrown in.

Glad to hear the Blues are safe. Strange that $130 million seems like a bargain for all that he got. But now that MLB enetered the $2 billion mark...

He was already a minority owner, this sale isn't for full ownership as he already possessed a percentage of it. It therefore makes him majority owner.

untitled-6.jpg

Well, if Stillman already had 15% of the team, some quick math would say that the Blues/Scottrade/Opera House/Rivermen package is then valued at a hair under $153 million. That's still a much better deal than the Coyotes and just the Coyotes for $170 million, which makes you wonder just how incompetent Hulsizer was to have bungled both deals.