NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

If they trotted Hulsizer and Jamison ("I have plenty of investors." "Oh, you do? Who are they?" "No.") before the City Council, but declined to do the same for Pastor, either his financials were astoundingly laughable, or there's been a change in the endgame at the NHL offices.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I wonder how much of their pretend owners were due to being in the playoffs the last three years, especially last year with going to the conference finals. It would've looked horrible for the league to have their own team be that close to the cup without a prospective owner. So Jamison was propped up as being the guy that was going to save the team. (and a bunch of doofuses on twitter bought it)

This year there's no playoff run to cover up with phony "everything's fine, we found a guy" stories.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Did anyone else hear that the NHL met with the Quebec ownership group in NYC over 2 weeks ago? Would seem that if this last minute PHX group doesn't work out and Seattle's not an option they might finally be setting up to pull the trigger and send the team north.

http://m.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2013/05/13/nhl-not-interested-in-pastors-277.html?r=full

Assuming the numbers discussed here are in actual dollars and not Greg Jamison Leprechaun Gold, boy, does this ever indicate an eastward journey.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

http://m.bizjournals...277.html?r=full

Assuming the numbers discussed here are in actual dollars and not Greg Jamison Leprechaun Gold, boy, does this ever indicate an eastward journey.

I think the bid is extremely fishy, and Pastor may or may not actually be a living person. What kind of buffoon comes in and offers 62% higher than the last failed bid, particularly when said bid was only that high due to colossal government subsidies which are no longer on the table? Had he had actual money, Greg Jamison probably would have lost money over the course of the lease that would see him get paid $300 million to purchase a $170 property. Who looks at that and sees a hot commodity that is zooming off the market?

Considering the NHL didn't listen to his bid, the reasons I could see are:

1) The aforementioned "Pastor is not a real person and therefore can't offer money for a team" theory;

2) Pastor exists, but he hadn't been paying attention to the last year, and his bid was contingent on getting hundreds of millions of dollars from the city;

3) The NHL is anxious to get into Seattle, and is planning on keeping the team in Glendale until the NBA gives Seattle a team;

4) The NHL has given up on Glendale and plans on selling the team to the highest bidder, no matter where he moves them;

5) The NHL already has an agreement worked out to move the team to Quebec City as soon as the playoffs end.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Does everyone think that the potential buyers (whom are Canadian) will keep the team in the desert? I call BS on them saying that they will.

That bid reportedly has an out clause after five years.

The Coyotes could have used that clause in the mid 90's

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

Does everyone think that the potential buyers (whom are Canadian) will keep the team in the desert? I call BS on them saying that they will.

2001 would have been the earliest

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

If I remember correctly Jerry Colangelo, who moved the team to Phoenix in the first place, wanted out shortly after the move and Bettman had to scramble to find enough stooges to buy the team from him, lest the Great Arizona Hockey Experiment end after only a few years.

If I remember correctly Jerry Colangelo, who moved the team to Phoenix in the first place, wanted out shortly after the move and Bettman had to scramble to find enough stooges to buy the team from him, lest the Great Arizona Hockey Experiment end after only a few years.

Yep. I'm reading the Bettman Book now, and it talks about this. Colangelo wanted out in 1998. His partners bought out his shares, then two years later was desperately looking to sell the team himself. At that point, there was talk of selling or moving the team, but Bettman was able to find a patsy to buy the team.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yep. I'm reading the Bettman Book now, and it talks about this. Colangelo wanted out in 1998. His partners bought out his shares, then two years later was desperately looking to sell the team himself. At that point, there was talk of selling or moving the team, but Bettman was able to find a patsy to buy the team.

So basically this whole debacle has been going from the moment the team landed in Phoenix. So much for the idea that they were "doing better" when they were downtown.

So basically this whole debacle has been going from the moment the team landed in Phoenix. So much for the idea that they were "doing better" when they were downtown.

Well, they might have been doing bettter when they were downtown, but yes, they even lost money the first two years when they were basically selling-out the arena every night.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The team also made the playoffs for five of their first six years, so they lost money with packed buildings as well as additional home games. The market has just never worked.

In 1999, Coaneglo went on record to say,

"They want their own building. If someone's going to give them a free building and they get to keep all the revenues, who can blame them? But their problem isn't the building, it's the economics of hockey."

That was before there was revenue sharing, salary cap, or luxury tax. There was nothing which the other major North American pro sports had.

I wonder how much of their pretend owners were due to being in the playoffs the last three years, especially last year with going to the conference finals. It would've looked horrible for the league to have their own team be that close to the cup without a prospective owner. So Jamison was propped up as being the guy that was going to save the team. (and a bunch of doofuses on twitter bought it)

This year there's no playoff run to cover up with phony "everything's fine, we found a guy" stories.

Oh, something tells me they will find a way, a new story perhaps now it will be "It's okay it's just a flesh wound"

Unless they want to muck up the realignment system it only seems fitting that they would try (and try) to keep then in Phoenix. But you never know.

The team also made the playoffs for five of their first six years, so they lost money with packed buildings as well as additional home games. The market has just never worked.

It amazes me that even with that kind of fan support they were still bleeding money. Was their arena lease screwing them over back then too?

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017