NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Well Seattle is officially off the table. How long before the NHL has the presser announcing Quebec City?

It may not be until close to July (when the playoffs end).

Bettman wasn't too happy that word was getting out about True North's purchasing of the Thrashers was close to being finalized while the Stanley Cup Final was about to begin. He didn't like another league news story interfering with the playoffs going on......

Unless there would be legal or union issues, I'm not sure why the NHL wouldn't favor that scenario - they would collect a large expansion fee without having to worry about managing a 31 team league or controlling one of the teams. I would imagine that the union would fight contraction, unless it was guaranteed that there would be immediate expansion, but if that's the case, I would imagine the door would be open for all kinds of legal challenges from perspective owners and maybe Glendale its stupid self.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Honestly, the best option right now is to just fold the team. Play with 29 teams next year and grant either Seattle or Quebec City an expansion franchise for 2014-15. I know the NHL would never stand for this, but there's no other solution to this fiasco.

With the new realignment coming in next season, the league isn't that stupid to chop down a team, figure out a logistical formula to schedule 29 teams, then come back the following year with a new team and then figure out a logistical formula to schedule 30 teams again. This also takes into account the legal battles which could, and probably will, ensue.

They're not that stupid. Are they?*

*this can be addressed as a rhetorical question

Honestly, the best option right now is to just fold the team. Play with 29 teams next year and grant either Seattle or Quebec City an expansion franchise for 2014-15. I know the NHL would never stand for this, but there's no other solution to this fiasco.

then they'd have to re-realign because the West would have 3 less teams than the east. Or just put off the realignment all together.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

then they'd have to re-realign because the West would have 3 less teams than the east. Or just put off the realignment all together.

It would only be for one year.

That's stupid. Just because of how terrible the Coyote's attendance is, doesn't mean that they aren't a good team.

Evidently you haven't heard about how the Coyotes have never turned a profit since moving to the desert.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The fact that they're a good team makes their attendance problems even worse.

We can all be sympathetic to fans who have to suffer season after season of mediocrity and at some point stop coming out to the arena, but that's just not the case with the Coyotes. They're a very good team, and can't get anyone in Arizona to notice.

I think calling them a "very good team" is taking it a little too far. I mean, they missed the playoffs this year, and you pretty much have to try to miss the playoffs when over half the league makes it in. Each of the last two years they had the 6th best record in the West, ended up making the the conference finals as the 3 seed last year. Still, the point about bad attendance stands.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It was a smoke-and-mirrors operation built on zone defense, uncalled obstruction, and overtime losses, which all went to crap without great goaltending behind the zone defense and Ray Whitney there to compile points. Very good was stretching it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So when are they moving out of the desert? :)

2162-63 Season

Sounds about right.

I disagree with that theory. I think 3001-3002 season under Betttron.

The "Star Wars" future could happen, Tattoine could have been blown up, Naboo and Hoth could be under siege by imperial fighters, Cloud City could be the only livable city left in the galaxy, the Death Star could be the most powerful battle station in all mankind...

...and yet, throughout all this, there will still be a Phoenix Coyotes franchise.

3001-02 SCF - Phoenix Coyotes of Glenndale vs Death Star Bruins. Sucks the Bs had to move after that fiasco in 2763.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."