NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

The Coyotes are worth $45 million. Great jorb, Gary. Great jorb.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It was two years ago today that Gary Bettman threatened to relocate a team that hadn't been officially relocated yet. Congratulations again, Jets fans (I don't get to be a fellow traveler anymore with realignment).

Unfortunately, that means they've probably successfully run out the clock on this year's relocation window. For reasons unbeknownst to anyone, the NHL clearly feels it's better off perpetuating this ward-of-the-state business than making money by putting a team in an almost entirely francophone city.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't even think its about the language.

I think it's one-half bias towards Sun Belt cities as the future population centers (and away from the "dead end" northern past), and one-half stubborn inability to admit a mistake.

Face it, when the Coyotes move all the headlines will be about what a failure the market is. I really don't think his ego can take it, and he's willing to dump plenty of other people's money down the train to avoid the bloody obvious.

• Like 8

Two years in and I don't think anyone still dwells on Atlanta (besides Thrashers fans -- sorry for your loss). Atlanta is certainly suspect as a sports market at times, and Glendale still has football and a still-shiny spring complex. Greater Phoenix will still have the other 3 majors just like Atlanta, so I think they'll survive it.

In fact, getting the NHL out and letting a real arena manager run the Job might help the actual city survive it. Hard to comprehend that that was ever a real concern.

• Like 2

The Burke Family Foundation has donated $450,000 to the Scottsdale-based Coyotes Amateur Hockey Association to sponsor local teams, aid families with travel and equipment costs and help keep top hockey prospects in state.

Richard Burke was part of the group that bought the Winnipeg Jets and moved the franchise to Phoenix in 1996. Burke — who serves on the board of UnitedHealth Group and was previously that company’s CEO — sold the team to developer and digital billboard executive Steve Ellman in 2000.

The charitable donation will sponsor Junior Coyotes youth teams with players between 16 and 18 years of age. They travel to out-of-state tournaments and play at the Ice Den in Scottsdale.

“Our support of this program aims to ensure that talented hockey players in Arizona won’t feel the need to leave our state in search of more competitive hockey,” said Taylor Burke, president of the Burke Family Foundation.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2013/06/05/former-coyotes-owner-gives-450000-to.html

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Heard on The Hotstove during the second intermission on CBC that the city of Glendale has allowed for a $5 million shortfall with Jobing Arena. However the group who is wanting to buy the Coyotes has asked for $16 million for a shortfall... According to Glenn Healy, this is looking like ACTUAL end of the Coyotes in Phoenix. The vote for this is on June 23rd?? but the NHL wants it sooner.

(My numbers may be off as I was attempting to do 2 things at once, but I did clearly hear Glenn say that this is the end of the Coyotes in Phoenix)

That the NHL wants it sooner could be a sign how close this is to ending. If Glendale won't vote to change that $5 million to $16 million then the NHL will need as much time as possible to move them to Quebec or Seattle or wherever.

That the NHL wants it sooner could be a sign how close this is to ending. If Glendale won't vote to change that $5 million to $16 million then the NHL will need as much time as possible to move them to Quebec or Seattle or wherever.

We can only hope

Yes we can.... End this misery already

baltimoreravens.png

We can only hope

Yes we can.... End this misery already

Also consider that the Glendale council (no longer chaired by idiots....we think) may not be happy about the NHL telling the how to conduct their own business by demanding the vote be moved up. There's already a lot of ground to try and make up if the NHL thinks they can convince them to more then triple the amount of money they're willing to shell out for this deal. Telling them "GIVE US MORE MONEY AND DO IT SOONER" may be enough to get them to tell the NHL to :censored: off on principal.

I very rarely stick up for Quebec, because French Canada seems like an entirely different dimension from the rest of the Canadian land of which I am very fond of, but the NHL really needs to return the provincial capital. Seattle isn't a bad choice, it's a good northern city that has a good sports base, but they don't have a suitable arena at the present and that area already (probably) has a good percentage of Canucks fans.

Bring Quebec City back to the fold. We will all be happier for it.

spacer.png

I don't mind French Canada on the whole. Just the "we want independence except for all the things we'd have to do as an independent country" crowd, which is getting smaller.

Seattle shouldn't even be in the running now that they have no NBA team on the horizon, and hence no drive to build a NBA/NHL calibre arena.