NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Oh, also, the city lost like $9 million on the Coyotes this year. Guess people didn't pay for parking.

Yeah, when I went this year, it's still extremely easy to avoid the "Pay for Hockey Parking" area.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/glendale/2014/06/03/coyotes-owner-sued-deal/9942991/

A Scottsdale public-relations firm has sued the owner of the Phoenix Coyotes, arguing that the team stiffed them on nearly a quarter of a million dollars.

The Coyotes owner, IceArizona, had hired the firm, Rose+Moser+Allyn Public & Online Relations, to help the team defeat a referendum attempt in 2013 that could have pushed the Coyotes out of Glendale.

But the public-relations firm claims IceArizona reneged on the deal, which included the sponsoring of the Scottsdale Polo Championships for five years, according to the lawsuit.

The agreement required IceArizona to pay the polo tournament, which is owned by the public-relations firm, about $250,000 if the referendum attempt was defeated, according to the filing with the Maricopa County Superior Court.

IceArizona purchased the Coyotes last summer in a controversial $225 million deal with Glendale. The ownership group hired the public-relations firm to help fight a petition to put the deal up for a public vote.

The firm expected a $25,000 base fee and, if successful, sponsorship for the polo tournament and two front-row hockey tickets for eight games per season over the next five years, according to the filing.

Rose received the base fee and a 2013 sponsorship, but Coyotes general counsel Craig Tindall wrote in an April e-mail that the team would not sponsor the event this year, saying that it did not appear the event would benefit the team.

. . .

Villasenor, who was charged with paying Rose, said checks for the base fee bounced because IceArizona President and CEO Anthony LeBlanc did not wire him money on time.

I wonder what the p.r. firm did to help fight the referendum. Maybe hired some of those dinguses we saw speak in July. Anyway, lol at breaching a contract for a polo tournament.

Oh, also, the city lost like $9 million on the Coyotes this year. Guess people didn't pay for parking.

BUT AS A FORMER FIREFIGHTER I KNOW THOSE 19 FIREFIGHTERS THAT DIED IN A WILDFIRE LITERALLY YESTERDAY HAVE THE SAME COURAGE AS US TO KEEP THE COYOTES IN GLENDALE AND THEY'D WANT US TO VOTE YES or whatever

• Like 1

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Seems pretty cut and dried. You can't sign a contract with someone saying you're going to give them money and then not give them money when it appears it would no longer be in your interest to give them money. LeBlanc is pond scum.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, they're like the anti-Islanders.

Bettman probably had to intervene in negotiations when saying "but we have a really big adult rec league!" over and over didn't impress Comcast executives.

• Like 1

Just saw that article on the Sharks. Yes, it might sound extreme, but in the big picture it really isn't. The way the team is releasing players and broadcasters and signing players, it can really seem like they are making decisions of team looking to skip town. Sadly unlike Baseball I'm too invested in the Sharks to seek refuge from another team and would still root for the Sharks (or whatever other nickname they use) regardless of where they end up - Quebec, Seattle, etc. Obviously speculation, but maybe closer than fans might anticipate.

Sharks aren't going anywhere; the Bay Area is way too valuable and too demographically picture-perfect (young, affluent, tech-savvy). I wouldn't be surprised if they wound up in the Warriors' new arena, though. The Shark Tank won't age gracefully.

• Like 1

Honestly, the thing I took out of that article is that Drew Remenda isn't coming back to be the Sharks color analyst. This can either be a great thing (we don't see or here from him for a while) or a bad thing (NBCSN hires him on full time, although outside the Sharks' clutches, maybe he won't be so bad? maaaaaaybe?)

But yeah, like admiral said, they won't leave the Bay Area. I mean, it sucks that they negotiated themselves a horrific TV deal as we enter the age where TV deals are the be all/end all of sports finances, but they'll be fine. As of now, local TV money doesn't seem to be the pontoon in the NHL as it is in the other leagues, and if it becomes an issue, it'll probably be reworked. For now, much ado about nothing, I think.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Why on earth would it be reworked? The paying company doesn't rework a deal just because the receiving company wants more money. The sharks would have to get their lawyers to find even the slightest breach to get out of the deal (the sixers did this and switched radio affiliates mid season a few years ago) or offer comcast equity in exchange for a better deal.

They ain't moving, but they ain't getting mo money either unless one of those or another creative move happens.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They only place I can see the Sharks moving is to San Francisco when the new arena for the Warriors opens, other than that the Bay is like the fourth largest TV market and important to keep for the NHL.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Sharks aren't going anywhere; the Bay Area is way too valuable and too demographically picture-perfect (young, affluent, tech-savvy). I wouldn't be surprised if they wound up in the Warriors' new arena, though. The Shark Tank won't age gracefully.

That's pretty much what I thought when the Warriors announced their intentions to build a new arena, way back in 2012. We might even see a rebrand (no way that they keep the San Jose name if they permanently move to SF, unlike their temporary stay in the Cow Palace), which would be welcome in my book.

Funny thing is San Francisco Sharks was going to be the name of the WHA team before funding fell through and the club was moved to Quebec and became the Nordiques.

Very true

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

it sucks that they negotiated themselves a horrific TV deal as we enter the age where TV deals are the be all/end all of sports finances, but they'll be fine.

Sounds like the guy who signed the deal was none other than businessman extraordinaire and superstar of this very thread, Greg Jamison. No, you're supposed to lock up players to long-term contracts with low annual value!

That's pretty much what I thought when the Warriors announced their intentions to build a new arena, way back in 2012. We might even see a rebrand (no way that they keep the San Jose name if they permanently move to SF, unlike their temporary stay in the Cow Palace), which would be welcome in my book.

I'm attached to the Sharks' name and general logo/colour scheme. San Francisco Sharks works.