2015 NFL Season-Now with Playoff Talk

buzzcut

I'm sure I'm just missing the point, I dunno, but I don't see what Marvin Jones Lewis could've done short of leaving Burfict on the sidelines. Mind you, Burfict had just made what sure looked like the game-sealing INT the previous possession. He's one of the best interior linebackers in the league. You really have to trust your best players to finish the game there. If you don't trust Burfict, then he should've been pulled from the game much sooner because, again, that dude was completely out of control from the Bernard-fumble onward, if not even sooner than that.

It was basically a game of risk with Vontaze by the end. He was going to make a horrifying mistake if the game lasted too much longer. The INT looked to evade that fate. It didn't. Jeremy Hill enabled that to happen, albeit indirectly. I'm just not sure where this is Marvin Lewis's fault in this particular case. If Lewis is at fault, then it's on a more macro scale, again, for either having him in the game for the 4th quarter overall, or, crap, even having him on the roster in the first place. Burfict has always been one of those cases of gambling on supreme talent over questionable character. Sometimes it works out well, sometimes it doesn't. So it goes.

And I say this, as someone who has a natural proclivity to blame head coaches for quite a bit. I'm just not seeing it with Lewis here.

As a singular, stand-alone game, it wouldn't get Lewis fired.

But looking at the totality of his resume with the Bengals, coupled with the way this game was lost, it will definitely be a very hot seat. He's been there 13 years and hasn't won a playoff game (0-7 overall, 0-4 at home, 1-and-done the last five seasons). At some point, just making the playoffs won't be good enough.

I agree with this, in general. 0-7 in the playoffs is extremely rough, even if you can argue extenuating circumstances in a few cases (which I won't, because who cares?). I was really referring more to the criticism of him for his handling of the players and discipline tonight that has no doubt been making the rounds (Boomer Esiasion leading the charge). He was repeatedly telling Burfict to calm the hell down on the sideline, and, again, perhaps that should mean that Burfict should've been taken out much sooner. If that's the argument to be made, I'm not sure I agree with it personally, but I do understand it much better. If the argument is only being made on the basis of what happened on the final drive, well, it just seems like classic hindsight and I won't agree with any of it personally.

Out of all those playoff losses, the Bengals absolutely had this game won, and it was going to be an incredible win, at that. 15-0 down in the 4th, 16 unanswered, finally vanquish a hated rival on the big stage. Without Andy Dalton in, either, no less! If the Bucs had lost a playoff game in this fashion to a hated rival (think Eagles circa 2002, I guess), I might well have sworn off football forever afterwards. I cannot fathom losing this game in *that* way. At least make 'em earn it, right? Jeezus.

spacer.png

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure I'm just missing the point, I dunno, but I don't see what Marvin Jones Lewis could've done short of leaving Burfict on the sidelines. Mind you, Burfict had just made what sure looked like the game-sealing INT the previous possession. He's one of the best interior linebackers in the league. You really have to trust your best players to finish the game there. If you don't trust Burfict, then he should've been pulled from the game much sooner because, again, that dude was completely out of control from the Bernard-fumble onward, if not even sooner than that.

It was basically a game of risk with Vontaze by the end. He was going to make a horrifying mistake if the game lasted too much longer. The INT looked to evade that fate. It didn't. Jeremy Hill enabled that to happen, albeit indirectly. I'm just not sure where this is Marvin Lewis's fault in this particular case. If Lewis is at fault, then it's on a more macro scale, again, for either having him in the game for the 4th quarter overall, or, crap, even having him on the roster in the first place. Burfict has always been one of those cases of gambling on supreme talent over questionable character. Sometimes it works out well, sometimes it doesn't. So it goes.

And I say this, as someone who has a natural proclivity to blame head coaches for quite a bit. I'm just not seeing it with Lewis here.

But looking at the totality of his resume with the Bengals, coupled with the way this game was lost, it will definitely be a very hot seat. He's been there 13 years and hasn't won a playoff game (0-7 overall, 0-4 at home, 1-and-done the last five seasons). At some point, just making the playoffs won't be good enough.

Who is available and who is better?

Aside: I realize folks there have numerous issues with Deion Sanders, but his addressing of Burfict was commendable and thoughts regarding Pacman Jones were appropriate.

It is a little shocking for Pacman as his last two interviews with Dan LeBatard were very personal and revealing.

Have to agree, Marvin Lewis should be fired. He should have been fired years ago, actually. I can't think of a single other coach, besides maybe Jeff Fisher, whose teams are as consistently undisciplined, out-of-control, selfish and reckless in the biggest moments as Marv's. At some point, as an owner, wouldn't you get embarrassed trotting out the NFL version of The Mean Machine from The Longest Yard for over a decade with zero playoff success to show for it? Lewis is 0-7 in the playoffs, he's shown nothing to suggest that he deserves a chance to go for #8.

I know most people will pin the loss on Jeremy Hill's fumble, but this game is really about how Vontaze Burfict is a piece of crap. He knew exactly what he was doing on that play. What was truly scary was his blank expression after the game, like it just didn't register with him how he cost his team the season and knocked out Antonio Brown. There's something deeply wrong with that guy, he's never going to grow up.

BTW, why was Joey Porter out on the field instigating? Speaking of needing to grow up, you're not a player anymore, Joey, you're a coach. Act like one.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

#TheresAlwaysNextYear

April Fool's!

I read someone's better idea for the Bengals could've been 3 kneels & a FG attempt on 4th down. Though the Steelers would've used all 3 time outs & had a bunch of clock left.

But if the Field Goal is made than the Steelers need to go down the field with no timeouts and score a touchdown

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I agree with this, in general. 0-7 in the playoffs is extremely rough, even if you can argue extenuating circumstances in a few cases (which I won't, because who cares?). I was really referring more to the criticism of him for his handling of the players and discipline tonight that has no doubt been making the rounds (Boomer Esiasion leading the charge). He was repeatedly telling Burfict to calm the hell down on the sideline, and, again, perhaps that should mean that Burfict should've been taken out much sooner. If that's the argument to be made, I'm not sure I agree with it personally, but I do understand it much better. If the argument is only being made on the basis of what happened on the final drive, well, it just seems like classic hindsight and I won't agree with any of it personally.

Out of all those playoff losses, the Bengals absolutely had this game won, and it was going to be an incredible win, at that. 15-0 down in the 4th, 16 unanswered, finally vanquish a hated rival on the big stage. Without Andy Dalton in, either, no less! If the Bucs had lost a playoff game in this fashion to a hated rival (think Eagles circa 2002, I guess), I might well have sworn off football forever afterwards. I cannot fathom losing this game in *that* way. At least make 'em earn it, right? Jeezus.

To me, Burfict's head was out of this game the moment he decided to run all the way down the field, into the tunnel, and all the way to the locker room door. (And, for that matter, Pacman Jones and the two other Bengals players that ran with Burfict all seemed to believe the game was pretty much over.) I can at least somewhat defend Burfict going for the big hit on Brown because the Steelers were driving and it was an opportunity to possibly dislodge the ball from his hands. But he wasn't completely in the game if he was having to be constantly talked to about staying focused.

Maybe the Bengals would have been better off had those four stayed in the locker room.....

When I first saw Burfict play, it was on a rainy Saturday night in Athens. He was all over the field. His play was keeping Arizona State in the game. I was wondering how this good a defensive talent had slipped to ASU until I learned of his knuckleheaded ways. I've kept tabs on him since, hoping he'd grow out of his short-fused temperament.

But at some point, Lewis has to be held accountable for the results and how he's getting there. He's 0-for-7 in the playoffs....pretty sure no other NFL coach has started 0-7 in playoff games with the same team. To me, I don't see how he survives this. Player discipline ultimately falls on the head coach....that's something that can be fixed. Player execution is one thing....the other team is getting paid to mess up your game plan and disrupt your plays. What the other team can't control is your team's discipline.

Some athletes have said it in the past....you can't have "too much stupid" in your locker room.

I heard this same line when Mark Richt got fired. I can make guesses, but that's why you have GM's and search firms and the like....that's their job to find the best coach for the job. Depends on what direction they're wanting to go in.

Marvin Lewis has as many coaching wins in the playoffs as I do.

To me, Burfict's head was out of this game the moment he decided to run all the way down the field, into the tunnel, and all the way to the locker room door. (And, for that matter, Pacman Jones and the two other Bengals players that ran with Burfict all seemed to believe the game was pretty much over.) I can at least somewhat defend Burfict going for the big hit on Brown because the Steelers were driving and it was an opportunity to possibly dislodge the ball from his hands. But he wasn't completely in the game if he was having to be constantly talked to about staying focused.

Maybe the Bengals would have been better off had those four stayed in the locker room.....

When I first saw Burfict play, it was on a rainy Saturday night in Athens. He was all over the field. His play was keeping Arizona State in the game. I was wondering how this good a defensive talent had slipped to ASU until I learned of his knuckleheaded ways. I've kept tabs on him since, hoping he'd grow out of his short-fused temperament.

But at some point, Lewis has to be held accountable for the results and how he's getting there. He's 0-for-7 in the playoffs....pretty sure no other NFL coach has started 0-7 in playoff games with the same team. To me, I don't see how he survives this. Player discipline ultimately falls on the head coach....that's something that can be fixed. Player execution is one thing....the other team is getting paid to mess up your game plan and disrupt your plays. What the other team can't control is your team's discipline.

Some athletes have said it in the past....you can't have "too much stupid" in your locker room.

I heard this same line when Mark Richt got fired. I can make guesses, but that's why you have GM's and search firms and the like....that's their job to find the best coach for the job. Depends on what direction they're wanting to go in.

Marvin Lewis has as many coaching wins in the playoffs as I do.

Mike Brown gave Marvin the GM duties!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000367536/article/mike-brown-ceding-bengals-control-to-marvin-lewis

A Rapist, Cheater, HGH user, and a Game Manager walk into the AFC Divisional Round... There has to be a joke here...

GO CHIEFS!

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

How much you think the NFL privately now wishes the Jets won last week and we didn't get the potential PR nightmare that was Steelers/Bengals?

Based on the NFL's vast history of PR nightmares, I don't think they're too concerned.
Agree. Believe me, the NFL is loving this. Not only are they going to collect fines from some players, and coaches, but they KNOW Bengal and Steeler fans can't WAIT for next seasons schedule to come out to see when they play again. The NFL also knows that if these two NFC wildcard games are "boring" people will still be talking about this game come next week. There is no such thing as bad publicity, just publicity. There is no love lost between these two and the NFL LOVES rival teams.

Aside....For the 50th Super Bowl....I would LOVE to see a Green Bay v Kansas City match up.

How much you think the NFL privately now wishes the Jets won last week and we didn't get the potential PR nightmare that was Steelers/Bengals?

Based on the NFL's vast history of PR nightmares, I don't think they're too concerned.
Agree. Believe me, the NFL is loving this. Not only are they going to collect fines from some players, and coaches, but they KNOW Bengal and Steeler fans can't WAIT for next seasons schedule to come out to see when they play again. The NFL also knows that if these two NFC wildcard games are "boring" people will still be talking about this game come next week. There is no such thing as bad publicity, just publicity. There is no love lost between these two and the NFL LOVES rival teams.

Aside....For the 50th Super Bowl....I would LOVE to see a Green Bay v Kansas City match up.

The fines go to charity, not the league, and they're relatively peanuts anyway. Steelers fans don't care about next year, because they won. That's just how it works. Bengals fans don't care, because it's not a "revenge" situation - they killed themselves, it's not like the Steelers did anything overly dirty and they need revenge.

This game will be forgotten about (outside of in Cincinnati) by this time next week.

THere absolutely is bad publicity - had the Steelers guy gotten a concussion or even worse, then the league would just be adding to the one problem that can (and in my opinion eventually will) take them down.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Steelers fans don't care about next year, because they won. That's just how it works.

We care, believe me we care.

Bengals fans don't care

They care, believe me they care...well, the ones that haven't committed suicide {BTW has anyone heard from McCarthy}.

it's not a "revenge" situation - they killed themselves, it's not like the Steelers did anything overly dirty and they need revenge.

.......Every AFC North game is a revenge game of some sort. These teams H A T E each other.

To me, it seemed the referees and announcers were on Pittsburgh's side for calls the entire game. Too many missed call against them and the announcers basically said the hit on Big Ben was worse than the hit on Bernard. They must be blind to think that. Not to mention how Joey Porter who is a coach for Pittsburgh was on the field jawing at Bengals players and nothing was done about it. That actually made me more mad than the Burfict hit. It seems like certain teams get things handed to them on a silver platter. Pittsburgh being one of those teams. Terrible bias the entire duration of the game.

Archived