MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

Lukas says that one Camo jersey is going to disappear:

http://www.uni-watch.com/2015/10/28/could-the-ratchet-be-turning-the-other-way/

Honestly, I am not sure who all has them. (Reds, Pirates, Padres; others?)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of them seem half-assed and horribly misplaced except the Padres. But who knows? Maybe the Padres will lose the camo as part of their half-assed rebrand to colors fans already hate for the Chargers, who themselves might be moving.

Also of note, I guess writing Uniwatch doesn't pay well since Lukas appears to be using a late-70s Maytag oven. At least it's not pea green, I guess.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Is that list saying Ft Lauderdale is a suburb of Miami? I'm not sure of the legal/political facts but as a South Florida resident there's no way Ft Lauderdale is a suburb of Miami. It's at least 45 minutes away.

Someone made the claim that a metroplex/metropolitan area is made up of one city and it's suburbs. The list I posted were lists of metro areas that showed that idea to be false, including Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Is that list saying Ft Lauderdale is a suburb of Miami? I'm not sure of the legal/political facts but as a South Florida resident there's no way Ft Lauderdale is a suburb of Miami. It's at least 45 minutes away.

Someone made the claim that a metroplex/metropolitan area is made up of one city and it's suburbs. The list I posted were lists of metro areas that showed that idea to be false, including Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

Fort Lauderdale is more a satellite city of Miami. It's a major city in its own right (has its own international airport, preferable to MIA) but not the primary one of the metropolitan area. I'd think of Newark the same way to New York, or Gary and Kenosha to Chicago.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You're over-simplifying the argument a bit.

appears to be using a late-70s Maytag oven. At least it's not pea green, I guess.

That's "avocado". ;)

Not summing the entire suburb argument to one point, but merely explaining that I posted that list in response to Cesarno's statement. The poster I was responding to seemed to think I was posting it for the exact opposite reason of why I did.

And I think you're thinking of metallic mint green.

Fort Lauderdale is more a satellite city of Miami. It's a major city in its own right (has its own international airport, preferable to MIA) but not the primary one of the metropolitan area. I'd think of Newark the same way to New York, or Gary and Kenosha to Chicago.

Well, isn't that what Anaheim is? A satellite city? It's got its own airport which is also preferable to flying into LAX.

Newark used to be the only airport in the area, and travelers to Newark held tickets that said they were going to "New York". However, the incorrectness of this practice was vehemently fought by Fiorello La Guardia who forced his plane to land in a small airstrip in Queens where an airport would be built named after him. It was considered the closest thing at the time, but it wasn't New York. I don't think anyone in their right mind would prefer the Devils name themselves after New York. I think Newark is a bit more separated from the City, leading to there being a difference between the acceptability of the Giants and Jets vs. the Devils. Quite frankly, I'm still rather incensed at the Red Bulls still using the name "New York". They should just go with "New Jersey" or "Newark".

Newark, Fort Lauderdale, all the cities listed on that list have local sports teams named after themselves or at least not after what one may consider the primary city. Should Anaheim consider themselves any different?

spacer.png

spacer.png

No, and they've got the Ducks. Good for them.

But neither should residents of a suburb be surprised if the teams discover it's more lucrative to name themselves after the central city.

I also don't know how much changing the name from Anaheim to Los Angeles of Anaheim actually factored into the Angels making more money. It might have something to do with the run of success.

If the city name isn't on any of the merch, I don't think it factors in there. When it comes to local TV deals, I really don't think being LAofANA over ANA mattered to Fox Sports West as much as losing the Dodgers did and again the run of success. (Because it's all the same market, right? They're being broadcast to the same section of people no matter what the scorebug says. And again, they're broadcast locally as "Angels Baseball")

It's obvious what side I fall on, but I don't think the location has played as much of a factor in the Angels making money.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Well, isn't that what Anaheim is? A satellite city? It's got its own airport which is also preferable to flying into LAX.

Death is preferable to flying into LAX.

I think the growth pattern of Anaheim is more suburban in nature than that of Newark or Jersey City, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm gonna guess Reds or Mets because those two seem to have the most random camo unis to begin with. The Pirates have an affinity for alternate jerseys so I doubt they'd remove one and the Padres originated this thing so I doubt they'd lose it. With that said, if the Padres are going with the 2016 color changes then maybe the camo no longer fits into their uniform equation so who knows really.

Archived