buzzcut

College Basketball 2016: Houston, we have a full court press

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Ipapterotes said:

Houston, we have a buzzer beater!

 

It was the higher-seed escaping an upset. For me, those kinda buzzer-beaters are "meh".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cujo said:

 

I'm with ya.  Hell, Oregon plays later tonight. They're this year's weakest 1-seed and the Pac-12 has already gone down as a total bust this postseason.

 

As for the biggest 15-over-2 upset ever? Lehigh over Duke in 2012. It's Duke. It's Coach K. It's a top 3 recruiting class ever year. Pretty sure the entire nation got to enjoy that one!

 

I'd tend to agree Re: Oregon, but they're playing Holy Cross... who is the worst team in the tournament except maybe Fairleigh Dickinson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

SWAC, MEAC, Ivy, MAAC andPatriot upsets in the past were bigger.  This edition of C-USA has done well in two years. The selection committee doesn't seem to know how to seed them.

 

I agree.

 

FWIW, I think Lehigh > Duke, FGCU > Georgetown, or Coppin State > South Carolina is probably the biggest tournament upset of all time.

 

Santa Clara > Arizona is the only 15-over-2 upset where the victor was a sub-20 win team. Santa Clara was 19-12 that year, but I think Steve Nash neutralizes a lot of the "completely unknown Cinderella" factor you're looking for in a "biggest upset ever" conversation. It's all after the fact, of course, but it still takes Santa Clara out of the question for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

 

I'd tend to agree Re: Oregon, but they're playing Holy Cross... who is the worst team in the tournament except maybe Fairleigh Dickinson.

 

Record wise; yes. Worst 16 seed? Probably not.

 

Although, I'm not quite sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SDSU vs Maryland... who will win?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sc49erfan15 said:

 

I agree.

 

FWIW, I think Lehigh > Duke, FGCU > Georgetown, or Coppin State > South Carolina is probably the biggest tournament upset of all time.

 

Santa Clara > Arizona is the only 15-over-2 upset where the victor was a sub-20 win team. Santa Clara was 19-12 that year, but I think Steve Nash neutralizes a lot of the "completely unknown Cinderella" factor you're looking for in a "biggest upset ever" conversation. It's all after the fact, of course, but it still takes Santa Clara out of the question for me.

Arizona losing early was already done when in 1991 they were a 3 and lost to #14 East Tennessee St. with Keith "Mister" Jennings it broke their seal for Santa Clara/Nash to beat them the next season.

 

Lehigh>Duke and Bucknell>Kansas are up there too.

 

Princeton over defending champion UCLA was huge, even with Ed O'Bannon leaving. Specifically, Gus Johnson was on the call in '96 and was basically "hatched" for America.

 

 

 

Edited by dfwabel
Gus's first national moment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, Barry Alvarez is glad he hired Greg Gard whose team has played 12 minutes and have 6 points.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

22-16 halftime score. In basketball. What a time to be alive!

 

Trying not to be that guy, but this is why I'm out on college basketball. Smarter people than me have written about how AAU schools have destroyed NCAA basketball. I don't know the exact reason, but I find the quality of play to be exceptionally low.

 

22-16 is unacceptable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

 

Trying not to be that guy, but this is why I'm out on college basketball. Smarter people than me have written about how AAU schools have destroyed NCAA basketball. I don't know the exact reason, but I find the quality of play to be exceptionally low.

 

22-16 is unacceptable.

It IS unacceptable and scoring is a reason why the shot clock is down to :30 seconds this year and why they have issues selling tickets for these early games have hurt got years.

 

Lower ticket sales is why they are testing beer/win sales for the (Women's) College World Series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wisconsin winning this tournament game is absolute travesty 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1999-03-12-missouri-state.html

 

Take a look at this 1999 box score...not sure why the announcers kept saying the 16 was a record.

TNT set with Matt Winer, who is a NBA host and the Turner video crew, was correct in jokingly apologizing for that game.  

 

And TCU wants to hire Jamie Dixon because he is an alum with a major name?  Stay away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1999-03-12-missouri-state.html

 

Take a look at this 1999 box score...not sure why the announcers kept saying the 16 was a record.

 

 

Not sure what the tournament record is, but I was there to see Winthrop cough up 11 in the 2nd half vs. Washington State. There aren't too many games that are tied at halftime (29-29) but end in a 31-point (71-40) margin...

 

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2008-03-20-washington-state.html

 

I think the announcers were talking about 16 being the lowest so far this tournament. I also had it on in the background and wasn't paying close attention, so I'm not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

 

 

Not sure what the tournament record is, but I was there to see Winthrop cough up 11 in the 2nd half vs. Washington State. There aren't too many games that are tied at halftime (29-29) but end in a 31-point (71-40) margin...

 

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2008-03-20-washington-state.html

 

I think the announcers were talking about 16 being the lowest so far this tournament. I also had it on in the background and wasn't paying close attention, so I'm not sure.

I thought so for a while but they kept using "record."  But that must be what they meant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

 

 

Not sure what the tournament record is, but I was there to see Winthrop cough up 11 in the 2nd half vs. Washington State. There aren't too many games that are tied at halftime (29-29) but end in a 31-point (71-40) margin...

 

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2008-03-20-washington-state.html

 

I think the announcers were talking about 16 being the lowest so far this tournament. I also had it on in the background and wasn't paying close attention, so I'm not sure.

I remember a couple of days later that year, also in Sacramento, UCLA was beating Indiana 20-13 at half. I wonder what the record is combined for lowest in a half.

 

EDIT: Oops the Winthrop-Washington State game was in 2008, not 2007 like the UCLA game. Washington State did play in Sacramento that year also and I think even practiced at my high school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SF Austin bearing WVU by 11 with about four minutes to go. Holy upsets, Batman!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These were the seeds 1-68 before grouping and pods were in effect. But  the #4 overall seed got #68.

 

 

CddomRHWEAI1uba_zps4u7qlxd3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

CBS's Gary Parish*, who like the NCAA hoops version of Jay Glazer, wrote this on MTSU's win over Sparty.

 

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/25522594/middle-tennessee-over-michigan-st-is-march-madness-latest-huge-upset

 

*-Parish is a great follow on Twitter and his CBS podcast is college basketball's best.

 

1. I don't know if it's just on my end, but the lowercase "i"s on that page don't look they have dots (tittles, yes, I know). They look like medium lowercase "l"s. It bothers me.

 

2. What doesn't bother me is those MTSU uniforms. "Middle / 01 / Tennessee" = gorgeous.

 

3. Not a bad take on the upset, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.