North American Pro Soccer 2016

Gothamite

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

US Open Cup started last night you guys!!

Here's all the scores: http://thecup.us/2016/04/07/2016-lamar-hunt-us-open-cup-schedule-results/

Next week has some really intriguing matches:

San Antonio Derby (SAFC vs. Corinthians FC)

Charlotte Derby (Eagles vs. Independence)

City Derby (Louisville vs. Detroit)

Plus there are some fun underdog games with amateur teams playing USL teams!

Personally looking forward to Indy Eleven NPSL heading to FC Cincinnati although I won't be able to attend.

We'll find out about the 3rd round matches today which will be very cool for me. Will Indy play Louisville/Detroit or Cincinnati? Will we get the OKC Derby we all want to see? 

33 minutes ago, pcgd said:

US Open Cup started last night you guys!!

Here's all the scores: http://thecup.us/2016/04/07/2016-lamar-hunt-us-open-cup-schedule-results/

Next week has some really intriguing matches:

San Antonio Derby (SAFC vs. Corinthians FC)

I might have to watch this one. I've got a women's team coming in from the UK, it'll b e a bit different than a USL match.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

US Open Cup 3rd Round Draw:

OKC Derby could happen!

Winner of Detroit/Louisville heads to Indy

Minnesota may seek revenge against Saint Louis.

That's about it for real intrigue outside of some upsets moving on. 2nd Round almost looks better than the 3rd. Locally of course your opinion could differ.

On 5/9/2016 at 7:23 PM, crashcarson15 said:

I mean, there’s only, like 12 now. It ain’t about too many — it’s about not getting the right ones.

Also, keep in mind the second tier's (not just NASL) role as an incubator of several franchises that have since made the jump to MLS, with at least one more (Minnesota) on the way. Granted, not very many remaining NASL markets look like MLS material, but they may be expanding in part just to offset that attrition.

CCSLC signature.png

Looking for a MLS team. Current candidates

Toronto F.C.: closest to Buffalo, Toronto is typically my secondary city for sports(save baseball). Have former OM player 

D.C. United: likely moving to MD soon, Orioles/Ravens(ravens second in NFL), like their new home jersey

Portland Timbers: they have a fun goal celebration, watched them a fair amount on the TV, have amandine henry on their women's side. Cons are West coast and just won a championship

Open to other ideas, particularly ones with strong Ligue 1/French national team ties, and no PSG ties. 

Also note names Impact de Montréal, because i hate the sports of that city.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

2 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Looking for a MLS team. Current candidates

Toronto F.C.: closest to Buffalo, Toronto is typically my secondary city for sports(save baseball). Have former OM player 

D.C. United: likely moving to MD soon, Orioles/Ravens(ravens second in NFL), like their new home jersey

Portland Timbers: they have a fun goal celebration, watched them a fair amount on the TV, have amandine henry on their women's side. Cons are West coast and just won a championship

Open to other ideas, particularly ones with strong Ligue 1/French national team ties, and no PSG ties. 

Also note names Impact de Montréal, because i hate the sports of that city.

TFC if you want an us-against-the-world attitude, or DC United if you want an original MLS power who deserve a new stadium.

I remember the days of yore when si.com would power rank pro soccer clubs, & DCU would even end up on there sometimes among the Euro giants.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

9 hours ago, 2001mark said:

DC United if you want an original MLS power who deserve a new stadium

DC United has a new stadium in development. Should be open for the 2018 season.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

12 hours ago, 2001mark said:

TFC if you want an us-against-the-world attitude, or DC United if you want an original MLS power who deserve a new stadium.

I remember the days of yore when si.com would power rank pro soccer clubs, & DCU would even end up on there sometimes among the Euro giants.

TFC cause....well...TFC. haha. I agree with 2001mark's comment about "us versus the world" but (and I know it's only been 2 games thus far) it seems like TFC is breaking through. The stadium has been packed so far this season and now more than ever I get stopped by people in public saying something to me about TFC (probably becasue I am wearing something with a TFC logo on it almost all the time). For the first time it feels now like they actually are a big club in MLS. Granted, if the season flops my tune may change by August (spoken like a true TFC fan, right? haha).

Honestly, I'm a huge TFC fan (and seeing how close you are to Toronto, it makes sense) but if I take my bias out @DiePerske I'd say there's 3 clubs I tend to see people get behind and it's for 2 different reasons.

A consistant winner and a original MLS club: LA Galaxy

One of the famously well supported clubs: Timbers or Sounders

That's just my 2 cents

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

There's always Columbus. Less cosmopolitan and more 'not East Coast' or 'Big City' the way the DC-NE span would be or Chicago or Toronto. Though, proximity should reign if you plan on actually attending games.

But, Columbus is one of the original teams. Been to two MLS Cups, winning one, two Supporters Shields, first team to get their own stadium (which is very bare bones and utilitarian) and they tend to live up to their original motto of "America's Hardest Working Team". Their redesign has been decent. Though that hideous white/blue monstrosity has to be buried or burned (or the ashes buried, even).

Archived