2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

The Flyers anniversary jersey has a number of similarities to the old Tampa Bay Lightning template...

IMG_7668.JPG

56512252_slide.jpg

Change the orange stripes to blue and paint the shoulders black.

If this template is a good one, the Lightning are the perfect candidates to use it.

It would finally set them apart from the Leafs, who now have the same waist stripe as them.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, B-mer said:

Nice thought. I like it. Someone mock it up!  It would be a great update, similar but better to the same idea with the Avs alt design

Yeah. That too was my idea from a while back. :) This template though has a more fitting waist stripe.

I'd say either go with navy and silver or light blue and black. A big reason as to why they look like Toronto is because they only use blue... like Toronto. They need a second color, and I'd be all for them going with a modern template (custom font, stripes, etc.) to their uniforms because that could really separate themselves (plus, not every team needs to look like the Original Six).

4 hours ago, B-mer said:

I don't understand the appeal of just adding black pants/gloves to the Lightning as some say or mock up. It looks awful. There would have to be more done with the jerseys to balance it out.  

Personally, something like one of Morgo's last hand drawn concepts or Steven Grant's here, for them is where I'd go. 

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_7773.PNG

that's not steven grant's concept that's my concept, i just used his fonts.

That template is without a doubt great for Tampa.

Here's the thing about the logos. If we use the current logo on that template, it will be a single color logo on duotone colored stripes and tritoned colored numbers. At the very least, the current logo would need a thin outline around it, for consistency sake. The other thing is that the roads would contain a lot of black. So placing a black version of the current logo with blue outline might be a better fit. The monotone blue version might not look right on there.

31 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

That template is without a doubt great for Tampa.

Here's the thing about the logos. If we use the current logo on that template, it will be a single color logo on duotone colored stripes and tritoned colored numbers. At the very least, the current logo would need a thin outline around it, for consistency sake. The other thing is that the roads would contain a lot of black. So placing a black version of the current logo with blue outline might be a better fit. The monotone blue version might not look right on there.

Agree on the current logo, which is why I didn't put it there. In all honesty the numbers could probably use a change up as well. 

6 hours ago, TheLAKnight said:

So apparently this is for sale at the NHL Store in NY. The guy who runs TheRoyalHalf was visiting there earlier today. Anyone else seen it?

Cv9BKhqWcAAzNPb.jpg

I like shirts with defunct teams, but the 50th anniversary nonsense really detracts from it. The California Golden Seals didn't last a decade, the shirt would look better with a larger logo. If the San Jose Sharks want to do a Seals throwback someday, more power to them, but it seems weird to celebrate something which isn't true.   

1 hour ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

I like shirts with defunct teams, but the 50th anniversary nonsense really detracts from it. The California Golden Seals didn't last a decade, the shirt would look better with a larger logo. If the San Jose Sharks want to do a Seals throwback someday, more power to them, but it seems weird to celebrate something which isn't true.   

It kinda sorta is true, though. 

The Gunds were minority owners of the Seals at the end of their run. They were majority owners after the team moved to Cleveland. The Barons merged with the North Stars; the Gunds were then majority owners of the North Stars after the merger. When the Sharks came around, the Gunds sold the North Stars and got an expansion franchise in San Jose with rights to bring some of the North Stars players to San Jose... they basically unmerged the franchises. Just not officially.

It is true but it's also very convoluted, which is why it's easier to just refer to the Sharks as a 1991 expansion team.  Thinking of the Sharks as a second-six team just doesn't feel right.  Especially considering the fact they wear teal and have always used a very modern looking logo set.

Archived