2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, coltravesty said:

all the lightning need is a full black setup to wear when playing teams like the Leafs. NHL should think of those clash uniforms that they use in soccer/

Well, they do have a black alternate jersey. What they should do is take the breezers, helmets, and equipment from that set, and pair it with the blue jerseys and socks from the home set. This would immediately distinguish them from the maple leafs without actually having to rebrand. Surprisingly there is not another team in the league that wears royal blue jerseys with black pants. So they'd have that going for them right off the bat. Then there's the issue of the generic logos, but that's an issue that isn't as easily solved, and it seems like they aren't going to change any time soon considering the team's current success and management's apparent desire to make them look classic like the Red Wings.

There seemed to be an initial backlash to Florida's new look around these parts, but I think they are amazing. Totally agree with the above posters commenting on how good the jerseys look with the navy pants and equipment. Excellent color balance.

16 hours ago, M4One said:

So I just read that Bauer is buying Easton.  It's possible that the Easton label might be fazed out and that may explain as to why the Easton logo is being covered up.

I believe I read that Bauer and Easton are owned by the same parent company. The parent company made the decision that Easton would stop making hockey equipment. I'm guessing Easton's hockey division will merge with Bauer and Bauer will take over endorsement deals Easton had with players. 

16 minutes ago, illini1 said:

I believe I read that Bauer and Easton are owned by the same parent company. The parent company made the decision that Easton would stop making hockey equipment. I'm guessing Easton's hockey division will merge with Bauer and Bauer will take over endorsement deals Easton had with players. 

Gear nerd here. Hockey equipment manufacturers have to pay the NHL fees to have their logos shown (as to prevent free advertising). Bauer chose to pay Easton fees only on the hockey sticks this year (therefore Easton logo cannot be shown on old helmets (i.e. E400), pants, or gloves). 

My guess is that all Easton gear and skates are going away and that sticks may stick around for a year or so with their technologies being incorporated into future Bauer sticks.

Some 'Easton' players switched gear to Bauer like Doughty (although still using an Easton stick) and others like Killorn have a Bauer logo on their Easton helmet and taped over Easton logos on their gloves (while switching sticks to Warrior).

alex-killorn-of-the-tampa-bay-lightning-

5 hours ago, Ark said:

The Florida Panthers should switch all of the blue to red, except the logo. The blue is too dark and takes away from the uniform, and it doesn't even match on the road uniform.

derek-mackenzie-florida-panthers-captain

gcrXhjY.jpg

The Panthers are so close to having a timeless uniform set, but they aren't quite there yet. The jerseys themselves are fantastic. 

the jerseys suck, getting rid of blue would only make theme look like a flames wannabe team, thus making them even worse.

Yea red pants and helmets would be too much red for the Panthers. That's one of the problems with the Hurricanes look. I think only the Red Wings pull that off well.

Also agree with the poster who said the Lightning should at least go to black pants and helmets. You can still have a classic looking uniform all while being unique at the same time instead of being the Tampa Bay Maple Wings, which is even worse now after the Leafs recent change.

18 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

the jerseys suck, getting rid of blue would only make theme look like a flames wannabe team, thus making them even worse.

While 100% true, they already are a wannabe Montreal team. They are just "Montreal dark".

untitled-6.jpg

22 hours ago, coltravesty said:

all the lightning need is a full black setup to wear when playing teams like the Leafs. NHL should think of those clash uniforms that they use in soccer/

They already have this and they wear it every home game against the Leafs.

I do hope that the Adidas changeover next season could bring some slightly modified duds.  At the very least, thin black stripes to outline the current jerseys and black helmets and pants for home and road (which they already have to go with the black alt)

22 hours ago, elliott said:

Well, they do have a black alternate jersey. What they should do is take the breezers, helmets, and equipment from that set, and pair it with the blue jerseys and socks from the home set. This would immediately distinguish them from the maple leafs without actually having to rebrand. Surprisingly there is not another team in the league that wears royal blue jerseys with black pants. So they'd have that going for them right off the bat. Then there's the issue of the generic logos, but that's an issue that isn't as easily solved, and it seems like they aren't going to change any time soon considering the team's current success and management's apparent desire to make them look classic like the Red Wings.

Thank you!  Hopefully this minor edit can happen in the Adidas changeover.

On 10/26/2016 at 9:27 AM, Sodboy13 said:

The stitching closeup on the lettering looks really legit, though. It's possible the slight bubbling of the rear numbers comes from 20 years of storage and the glue betwesn the layers wearing out a bit. I don't know. If I wasn't in phone, I'd take this jersey and photoshop it into the "I WANT TO BELIEVE" poster. The only way I'd weigh in conclusively on this is if some jersey expert got it firsthand, or if one of you with $270 to burn bought it and sent it to me, in which case, much oblige.

I'm right there with you, I wish I could see it in person to make my final judgement. I've seen blank ones before at Blues games but always figured they were fakes and didn't bother to approach the person. I've never looked for the jersey in the arena (the prototype maybe? in a glass case with the other jerseys over the years). I've thought about reaching out to the team or equipment manager on social media just to see what they say. Even if it's not real, atleast they could confirm if the numbers/font are the real concept that they had planned? I find it hard to believe that after 20 years, our only source of information is from some random person on ebay of all places. Of all the designers and hockey fans on this site, no one but THAT GUY selling them has knowledge of this? Sucks...

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

I'd go with red numbers on the whites while keeping navy NOBs. I think that would get the whites a little more in line with the color scheme. Other than that, they're fine enough, nothing to hate.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't understand the appeal of just adding black pants/gloves to the Lightning as some say or mock up. It looks awful. There would have to be more done with the jerseys to balance it out.  

Personally, something like one of Morgo's last hand drawn concepts or Steven Grant's here, for them is where I'd go. 

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_7773.PNG

Not to self-promote, but I always thought the Bolts could have it both ways by switching from Leafs blue to navy and keeping the old shoulders. No other team uses a navy and white scheme, so it would be uniquely theirs even if the template was common.

meMMHTF.png

10 minutes ago, Point1 said:

Not to self-promote, but I always thought the Bolts could have it both ways by switching from Leafs blue to navy and keeping the old shoulders. No other team uses a navy and white scheme, so it would be uniquely theirs even if the template was common.

meMMHTF.png

As a fan, I'm not a fan. I don't mind the design and the quality is top notch, but a seemingly arbitrary change from the ever present blue to navy doesn't make sense. 

13 minutes ago, Point1 said:

meMMHTF.png

Clean, simple and beautiful. I love the main logo, really separates them from looking like team gatorade. The white jersey seems like it's lacking something, maybe a thin VERY thin blue line between the silver and white? (like a 2 pixel line). It would add enough difference to make a huge impact on the away jersey but also keep both uniforms appearing to be equal and well balanced. I could imagine the logo now with the sewn silver thread shimmering, pure beauty

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Archived