College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Limon_Jello said:

Does anyone think Kirby Smart will bring back the black helmet stripe from the years he played?

image.jpeg

Please no. Those were the ugly years. If anything, just a black alternate jersey, some occasional red road pants, and an update to the new template (the Flywire is showing its age). 

8 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Please no. Those were the ugly years. If anything, just a black alternate jersey, some occasional red road pants, and an update to the new template (the Flywire is showing its age). 

I'm in agreement there. Hoping he keeps things the same, maybe using a newer Nike model sans flywire. I loved the black jerseys, and  red pants but I doubt we'll ever see them again. 

On February 13, 2016 at 5:49 AM, j'villejags said:

A lot of people are seeing the same thing.

56bee42c5f963_ScreenShot2016-02-13at1.35

Does that make it a fair critique? I don't know. While the notion is sophomoric in nature, my post wasn't intended to be.

Regardless of how good or bad I think the logo is, I wouldn't wear that shirt. If I owned the shirt and didn't see the double entendre, it would be pointed out to me by someone if I wore it around long enough. I wouldn't want to wear it again and I certainly wouldn't want to go buy any more apparel with that logo on there. It'd be awkward and embarrassing. 

For that reason, I don't think the logo will ever reach its full potential from a merchandising and revenue-generating perspective. I won't be surprised when this logo is phased out or altered in some way. I thought that was worth discussing. 

FWIW, here's a petition against their new logos, including UK fans' commentary. https://www.change.org/p/big-blue-nation-kentucky-university-of-kentucky-urge-the-university-of-kentucky-to-discard-it-s-new-graphic-identity-logo/c

dont take that post as me directing anything towards you, it was just the situation. just about every logo release comes with "it looks like" comparisons and its rediculous, frankly. especially when a logo is this poorly crafted we dont need the ink blot test critiques

also, FWIW, the petition changes are a waste of time. i can only recall once where that worked. the school has made a commitment to the work and they should stick with it if they believe in it. what i would say to the fanbase is if you dont like it, dont buy it. dont allow it to represent you. an online petition just looks bad - dont buy the apparel with that logo and theyll not use it

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 hour ago, bkknight95 said:

Their uniforms were a little bit of a cluster:censored: with Nike, but now, I'm really scared. 

I had the exact same thought. I thought they looked good as a predominate blue and gold team with a hint of red. With all they helmet options they have just looked like a mess. I doubt Adidas will help the situation any

19 hours ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

They're probably just going to be extremely bland with lots of bad helmets, if we're being realistic here.

On the other hand, maybe they will actually get a legitimate identity now. Let's see how this plays out.

They could use a update to the logo, am I right? Looks dated the font/script, use a new one and modernize the flags, and it be good. And get a secondary logo that's like a hurricane or such. I doubt Nike ownes any of there current logo set, like they did with miss st right?

5 hours ago, lilben777 said:

They could use a update to the logo, am I right? Looks dated the font/script, use a new one and modernize the flags, and it be good. And get a secondary logo that's like a hurricane or such. I doubt Nike ownes any of there current logo set, like they did with miss st right?

I really want them to use the flag more, I feel like it has potential. I don't like the idea of using a physical hurricane, that's been done before, and let's be real, Oklahoma doesn't have any actual hurricanes. I'm assuming they're called the golden hurricane because of dust storms. I'm not sure if I can describe this well, but I think appropriating the flag so that it's what a maritime flag would theoretically look like it were like a land navy would be cool. Like a boat traveling across the open plains, fending off dust storms that come their way. The logo would be the flag of that boat. Kind of a weird idea, but I'm sure people who are actually paid to make this stuff could pull it off better than me.

15 hours ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

I really want them to use the flag more, I feel like it has potential. I don't like the idea of using a physical hurricane, that's been done before, and let's be real, Oklahoma doesn't have any actual hurricanes. I'm assuming they're called the golden hurricane because of dust storms. I'm not sure if I can describe this well, but I think appropriating the flag so that it's what a maritime flag would theoretically look like it were like a land navy would be cool. Like a boat traveling across the open plains, fending off dust storms that come their way. The logo would be the flag of that boat. Kind of a weird idea, but I'm sure people who are actually paid to make this stuff could pull it off better than me.

They're not really called Golden Hurricane because of the dust storms.  Back in the day they wore gold and black...and someone said their speed was like a "Golden Tornado", but I guess Georgia Tech was using that team name for a bit, so Tulsa switched to "Golden Hurricane."  Note that Tulsa's team name is singular, not plural like Miami uses.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 hours ago, WSU151 said:

They're not really called Golden Hurricane because of the dust storms.  Back in the day they wore gold and black...and someone said their speed was like a "Golden Tornado", but I guess Georgia Tech was using that team name for a bit, so Tulsa switched to "Golden Hurricane."  Note that Tulsa's team name is singular, not plural like Miami uses.

Huh, interesting. I always assumed it was because of stuff like the dust bowl and all the dust devils that came onto the plains. Thanks for the info!

7 hours ago, WSU151 said:

That's a shame GT was using it because tornadoes go hand in hand with Oklahoma. It would have been a much better nickname than Hurricane. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived