College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See, it's funny. I think I like it more now that I can see it in a full mockup and in some of OSU's more common combos (like Black-Orange-Black) instead of with that white chrome helmet or all-orange.

OKState%202016.jpg?dl=0

I still don't think it was an overall improvement from the previous set, considering how much I loved that original barbed-wire striping and had hoped it would become a lasting element for the program, but at the very least it'll shake up the usual combos now that everything has a bit of both white and grey in it.

3 hours ago, j'villejags said:

Here's another shot of the uniforms with one of their more traditional helmets. 

wDzBGUi.png

how a little bit of taste and element repetition (the helmet stripe treated same as number) can improve a uniform. from this shot, it appears the stripe and number are the same width, as well as the key strokes. thats proper attention to detail if so. still, the number font is overkil - they just try to do too many things. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

4 hours ago, razorback447 said:

Cowboys down the pant leg. 

That's it? A commonly used motiff in uniform design now is a mess? How is that anything close to a mess? The Cowboys is just in place of a pants stripe, that's it. No big deal. I don't mind saying it's a bad uniform, you can think whatever you want. I just don't get how "mess" comes to mind with the pretty damn clean uniform.

3 hours ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

That's it? A commonly used motiff in uniform design now is a mess? How is that anything close to a mess? The Cowboys is just in place of a pants stripe, that's it. No big deal. I don't mind saying it's a bad uniform, you can think whatever you want. I just don't get how "mess" comes to mind with the pretty damn clean uniform.

i would lean closer to "mess" than "clean", which sounds weird to say because all of Nike's 2015 designs were so clean (minus TCU). starting with the textures/finishes, the chrome helmets with the chrome mask are there and will be used and add in the reflective material - you have a uniform that is a copy of a copy of the 2010 Pro Combat series. these things don't make the uniform feel fresh at all, it feels cheap and tacky. add in the old logo which is a poorly drawn cartoon expanded as large as possible on the helmet, and you're advertising bad art as loud as possible. the old logo really clashes with the modern trendy elements here too.

the number font has many cuts and angles in it that almost feels like the digits are exploding because there are shapes going in every direction. it's at least 1 idea too many in this font. as much as i like the Paisley print on the collar, i don't like it on the cuffs. it makes ssense to put it around the neck but the cuffs are overkill. 

the reflective Cowboys wordmark is bad enough by itself but of all the things to put on the leg, the team's nickname was the worse choice. we already know this is a "Cowboys" team from the logos, the pattern . . it's not always clear that it's OSU, and i would like to see the school represented a little more. a hip logo would have done just fine.

like i said yesterday, the colors are always nice, the paisley print is very well done, and the Marshall badge is a cool touch. the white helmet's stripe is much better than the others and feels the size/width was done to match the numbers. but this is overall average at best. they say "built for the future" when it's obviously built for right now. designer Massimo Vignelli once described "junk" as something "trendy, phony, insensitive in details, no elegance, not strong, no lasting value" - i think that's a fairly close description of this uniform. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Chrome needs to tie a quick and painful death.

I'm not totally against these, but I just think its a downgrade from the last set.  I think the 4 colors don't work as well with the new set.  The bandanna pattern/texture/whatever is nice, it works, but it just makes me think that its Florida State's thing... the pattern collar.

The helmets continue to be a complete disaster.  They don't know what they are going for.  They continue to have a stripe on the helmet that doesn't match anything else in the uniform.  Pants wordmarks are the worst.  No other way to describe it.  I hate it.  Even so, its Oregon's or Arkansas's thing. 

I think they could have improved on the existing uniforms by just getting rid of the stripe taper and giving them a custom font... and of course fixing the car crash helmets.

On 3/3/2016 at 0:22 PM, StateBass said:

OKState%202016.jpg?dl=0

The helmet stripe is really lame...black/chrome/black looks kinda ridiculous on a matte black helmet.  Should have just gone with the single chrome stripe.  Or make some part of the stripes orange.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

11 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i would lean closer to "mess" than "clean", which sounds weird to say because all of Nike's 2015 designs were so clean (minus TCU). starting with the textures/finishes, the chrome helmets with the chrome mask are there and will be used and add in the reflective material - you have a uniform that is a copy of a copy of the 2010 Pro Combat series. these things don't make the uniform feel fresh at all, it feels cheap and tacky. add in the old logo which is a poorly drawn cartoon expanded as large as possible on the helmet, and you're advertising bad art as loud as possible. the old logo really clashes with the modern trendy elements here too.

the number font has many cuts and angles in it that almost feels like the digits are exploding because there are shapes going in every direction. it's at least 1 idea too many in this font. as much as i like the Paisley print on the collar, i don't like it on the cuffs. it makes ssense to put it around the neck but the cuffs are overkill. 

the reflective Cowboys wordmark is bad enough by itself but of all the things to put on the leg, the team's nickname was the worse choice. we already know this is a "Cowboys" team from the logos, the pattern . . it's not always clear that it's OSU, and i would like to see the school represented a little more. a hip logo would have done just fine.

like i said yesterday, the colors are always nice, the paisley print is very well done, and the Marshall badge is a cool touch. the white helmet's stripe is much better than the others and feels the size/width was done to match the numbers. but this is overall average at best. they say "built for the future" when it's obviously built for right now. designer Massimo Vignelli once described "junk" as something "trendy, phony, insensitive in details, no elegance, not strong, no lasting value" - i think that's a fairly close description of this uniform. 

Hmm, well that's a lot more elegant than I could've ever described this uniform. I agree that the chrome is awful and needs to go away, but I feel like the rest of the uniform is fine. Yeah, there are too many helmet options, but I don't think that's enough to really call this a mess. It's relatively plain looking overall. I think calling this a mess when southern miss's old uniforms existed just seems like an exaggeration. These aren't the greatest uniforms ever I agree, but they are far from awful. I guess it's just a manner of the word "mess". Just doesn't fit a uniform that has that little going on imo.

I think what bugs me more about Ok State is their inability to retain some continuity in their helmet designs. For just about each Big 12 team you can instantly envision the one helmet they're currently known for but the Cowboys have adopted and embraced a mess of failed ideas. 

Midway.png

I happen to really like the number font. 

Oklahoma State has had the Chrome Cowboy helmets for at least 2-3 years now. Why are we acting like they just released them? They'd be much better at a normal size and chrome-free. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Archived