2016 NHL Playoffs, Rite of Spring: "You thought God was an architect"

ninersdd

And you people wonder why the same teams get featured in the Winter Classic & outdoor series of games.  The ratings will reflect on the remaining teams in an unpleasant way.

Not that I really care or am trying to start a piss contest, I honestly DO NOT care about ratings in the NHL, but Bettman is probably very disappointed with who's left.  And that's fine, because he's a piece of crap.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Sooooo basically every American city that matters to the league. Gotcha, chief.

I care so much about the league's TV ratings and bottom line. I work for the NHL. I'm Gary Bettman's personal assistant. How much money they make really matters to me. 

The league survived Carolina-Edmonton. They'll be fine with Dallas-Washington. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Regardless of who wins tomorrow night, I'm not taking any team for granted despite the Sharks looking pretty darn good against the Kings last round. The Ducks have always been a challenge, knocking out the presidents trophy winners back in 2009 while Nashville still has some decent pop for being the fourth team in the Central. I still think the Preds are the weaker team and if the Blues somehow beat the Stars, I really like San Jose's chances of making a good Finals run.

I'm really trying to keep my cynical nature at bay here, but damn, I can feel it creeping back into my bones. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Oh and let's cue the tired narrative of "rest or rust" regarding the week layover we have between series.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

1 hour ago, Alex Houston said:

Regardless of who wins tomorrow night, I'm not taking any team for granted despite the Sharks looking pretty darn good against the Kings last round. The Ducks have always been a challenge, knocking out the presidents trophy winners back in 2009 while Nashville still has some decent pop for being the fourth team in the Central. I still think the Preds are the weaker team and if the Blues somehow beat the Stars, I really like San Jose's chances of making a good Finals run.

I'm really trying to keep my cynical nature at bay here, but damn, I can feel it creeping back into my bones. 

I think that the Blues can do it. Dallas may have an excellent offense, but as Minnesota showed, their defense and goaltending is awful. Now Minnesota lost the series because they're offense (and really emotions) didn't show up until later in the game almost every single time, (Almost not at all in game 1 though.) But Dallas only scored 4 more goals than Minnesota the whole series. For any offense that good in Dallas, and that mediocre in Minnesota, they should have outscored us by 10 or more goals. St. Louis is a very consistent team, and the fact that they WERE able to beat Chicago and make it out of the first round will give them a ton of confidence heading into the second round. The Blues goaltending and defense is playing really well, and should be able to shut down Dallas's offense. And the Blues offense is consistent enough to score quite a few goals against Lehtonen and Niemi. I think that Dallas should be worried heading into this series. Now crazy things can happen in the playoffs, so I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas made it out though. 

EDIT: Ok, I'm lying. I would be surprised. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On April 26, 2016 at 4:38 AM, CS85 said:

MOD EDIT

But yeah, totally great series. 

MOD EDIT

But yes it was a good series and it's sad that one of those teams had to be eliminated. The current playoff structure is a joke.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

On April 26, 2016 at 2:33 PM, worcat said:

MOD EDIT

But yes it was a good series and it's sad that one of those teams had to be eliminated. The current playoff structure is a joke.

So you'd rather play the Sharks in the 1st round?  Because that is who the first round opponent would have been under the old system with the new alignment.  Under the old alignment, the Blues would be playing Nashville, and wait, why is this structure a joke again?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

4 minutes ago, rams80 said:

So you'd rather play the Sharks in the 1st round?  Because that is who the first round opponent would have been under the old system with the new alignment.  Under the old alignment, the Blues would be playing Nashville, and wait, why is this structure a joke again?

1 should play 8, 2 vs. 7 etc. Ever since Bettman changed the system to increase division rivals to play in the first round, the playoffs have been worse every year. Yeah it was great to see the Blues and Hawks go 7 games but in reality, that should have and could have been a 2nd round series. 

The East was terrible, Let's have two 90 point teams play in the first round with Detroit and Tampa Bay while two 100 point teams in Florida and NYI fight it out. It's doing the game a disservice to allow a weaker team to advance and a better team to go home. 

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

The Hawks will solve their defensive problems in the offseason. StanBo will work some magic and we'll finally be free of Bickell. It'll be sad to see Shaw go, but he has to be trade bait and I'd rather keep Panik and Panarin than Shaw. I'm not expecting something blockbuster like Subban suddenly showing up wearing the Indian head (a man can dream, though) but the Hawks' defense will be better next year.

As for me, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the fireworks. :censored: it, I've got no dog left in the fight, so I'm just looking forward to some good hockey. Congrats to the Blues. I hate your guts and I hope the Stars sweep you.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

37 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

The Hawks will solve their defensive problems in the offseason.

Not that it's THAT glaringly obvious, is it?   ...Chicago's dissatisfactory defense, that is.

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

What a schedule for Bolts/Isles. Two days off between each of the first four games.

Arena schedules yield some crazy effects, huh? Guess they really did need to get that series started sooner than anyone would have ever expected. There were also some events congestion in D.C., and obviously the NHL was never going to want to have both Eastern series' aligned to play on the same day, if they could help it. So that's the way it goes here.

A common theme in Washington and New York is the arenas having Justin Bieber concerts, so, obviously, if Canada couldn't get in the playoffs this year, then they were going to try their best to screw with American team schedules with that guy, eh? Heh.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, worcat said:

1 should play 8, 2 vs. 7 etc. Ever since Bettman changed the system to increase division rivals to play in the first round, the playoffs have been worse every year. Yeah it was great to see the Blues and Hawks go 7 games but in reality, that should have and could have been a 2nd round series. 

The East was terrible, Let's have two 90 point teams play in the first round with Detroit and Tampa Bay while two 100 point teams in Florida and NYI fight it out. It's doing the game a disservice to allow a weaker team to advance and a better team to go home. 

Except the Blues aren't the #2 seed under the new alignment if we were to do Conference seeding.  Division champs are 1 and 2 (and with the unbalanced schedule I can't dispute that assignment.) 

For what its worth, I've never really bought into the "matchups shouldn't happen this early" logic for professional sports.  You have to play at some point, does it really matter when?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I thought back to this scene when I read about the @soloucity thing.

Kind of seems like pandering to me

6 minutes ago, rams80 said:

You have to play at some point, does it really matter when?

I agree with you 100% on that, eventually you have to play but why play a stronger team instead of a weaker team if you don't have to? I know it's all about ratings, I get that.

Look at the NBA - they use a good playoff seeding system like I was talking about but no one is watching the first round games because they are going to be blow outs. 

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

40 minutes ago, worcat said:

I agree with you 100% on that, eventually you have to play but why play a stronger team instead of a weaker team if you don't have to? I know it's all about ratings, I get that.

Look at the NBA - they use a good playoff seeding system like I was talking about but no one is watching the first round games because they are going to be blow outs. 

Which is a shame, because 4 of those series are actually going at least 6 games.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived