Coyotes announce AHL affiliate's move to Tucson + team naming contest.

18 minutes ago, kroywen said:

Why would they go with the name of another NHL team, and the former name of the relocated franchise that preceded their NHL parent?

*thats_the_joke.png*

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

16 minutes ago, kroywen said:

Why would they go with the name of another NHL team, and the former name of the relocated franchise that preceded their NHL parent?

The Milwaukee Brewers had an affiliation with a New York-Penn League team called the Newark Co-Pilots (that's not Newark, NJ, but Newark, NY, up between Syracuse and Rochester) until the late 1970s.

Not strictly analogous, of course, because there was no other Major League Baseball team called "Pilots", and because the affiliation was continuous from the Brewers' days as the Seattle Pilots.  But, I just thought I'd throw it in.  (Couldn't help myself.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Tucson Warthogs 

the group my granddad flew in during WW2 is now station there (at Davis–Monthan Air Force Base) and the group now flies A-10 Thunderbolt 2 (aka the Warthog).  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

12 hours ago, Luke_Groundrunner said:
14 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Tucson Roadrunners.

That ^^ was my first choice.

It is a befitting name for the region, though I was thinking that they might be more successful than their parent club :P

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I personally like Tucson Lobos best. It's a good nod to the parent organization without being a carbon copy. It lets the franchise build their own identity. They could do dark grey, turquoise, sand and white for colors.

Roadrunners is likely the strongest contender, and I also really like Javelinas and Tarantulas (what can I say, I've always had a soft spot for alliterative branding).

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived