Tucson Roadrunners, Coyotes'new AHL team, unveil name and logo

Still MIGHTY

Name was kind of a no-brainer. We all figured that. Logo is a clean update of the old Roadrunners logo. Colors are the Coyotes colors of brick red and black with copper being the other main color instead of sand. I think the main logo itself is pretty great. Using the AZ patch on the front doesn't make all that much sense, because they are specifically Tucson rather than the Coyotes' Arizona. The only thing that is a bit off is that the head does look like it was just placed on the body, and you can see why that is with the alternate. And speaking of the head, those eyes could've used a little work, but its workable.

Alt is kinda weak, and that "Roadrunners" font is... bleh.

But overall nice. I'd expect the jerseys to just be Coyotes clones, but we'll see.

Primary:

rr2.jpg

Alt:

rr1.jpg

The Tucson Roadrunners’ primary logo features design elements that convey a new brand personality for the AHL team while maintaining a connection with the highly regarded Arizona Coyotes logo. The Roadrunners logo features a fierce bird that is ready for game action, wearing a hockey uniform, skates and carrying a hockey stick. The hockey sweater on the roadrunner includes the flag of Arizona (in Coyotes colors) which is also used by the Coyotes as a shoulder patch on the team’s jerseys. The roadrunner’s head, tail, gloves and striping on his jersey, pants and socks are all copper in reference to Arizona’s nickname “Copper State,” which celebrates the fabulous mineral wealth in Tucson and Arizona. While today the Tucson Mountains are largely protected within the confines of the Saguaro National Park and the Tucson Mountain Park, they once were mined extensively for copper, gold, silver, lead and other metallic elements. The Coyotes colors of Brick Red, Desert Sand and black embody the logo, along with copper, and reflect the symmetry between the Coyotes and the Roadrunners teams. The Coyotes’ Creative Services department designed the logo.

The press release also included some fun roadrunner facts!

About the Roadrunner:

The roadrunner is a long-legged bird from the Southwestern United States and Mexico. The roadrunner walks around rapidly, running down its prey. It feeds mainly on small animals including insects, spiders (including black widows), tarantulas, scorpions, mice, small birds and especially lizards and snakes. Venomous serpents, including rattlesnakes, are readily consumed. The roadrunner kills prey by holding the victim in its bill and slamming it repeatedly against the ground. Although capable of limited flight, it spends most of its time on the ground, and can run at speeds of up to 20 mph. Some Pueblo Indian Tribes believed the roadrunner provided protection against evil spirits.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Here's a better look.

ClQjhrwWgAATMS4.jpg

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

The original IHL Phoenix Roadrunners logo for comparison: (The basic same logo was used for the WHA Phoenix Roadrunners and the AHL Toronto Roadrunners)

gxgzzr41qyr9fn6jwwk9998k2.gif

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

This looks like a 3rd grader retraced the original logo. The old logo had retro charm, this is terrible.

They should have recoloured the Phoenix Roadrunners' ECHL logo. At least that looks professional.

Tuscon.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

38 minutes ago, nash61 said:

This looks like a 3rd grader retraced the original logo. The old logo had retro charm, this is terrible.

They should have recoloured the Phoenix Roadrunners' ECHL logo. At least that looks professional.

Tuscon.png

Yeah, they should've went with this. What they did is just A LITTLE too cartoony. Not much, just a little. 

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

53 minutes ago, nash61 said:

Tuscon.png

Yeah, that would've been a lot better.

2 hours ago, nash61 said:

Tuscon.png

Just talked to a buddy of mine. He's a secretary for a member of the 'Yotes organization. All he said is that "using the old logo wasn't an option." He didn't mention anything more about it.

I took it to mean the holder of the rights didn't want to work with them, but don't know for sure. 

Either way, I was hoping for something a little more modern. I've never liked the ECHL Roadrunners logo. I used to see them pretty much every day and it looks nothing like one, to me. The new one, while cartoony, looks more like a roadrunner. I'll wait for the jerseys to make a final judgement, especially since I just got season tickets.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

They didn't even bother to try coming up with something new; they just retraced and recolored the old logo.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  They didn't need to.

The issue is that they didn't trace and recolor it very well.  

2 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

The execution is horrible. They didn't even bother to try coming up with something new; they just retraced and recolored the old logo.

40 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The issue is that they didn't trace and recolor it very well.  

Yep... The new roadrunner is worse than the old one...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I didn't say there was, I just preferred to see something new. I mean I don't have too much of a problem with them recreating an old logo, but yeah, the execution wasn't there.

9 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

rr1.jpg

UTSA knows how to make a roadrunner logo. The one above is not a logo, it is a bad cartoon

utsa_secondary.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

2 hours ago, Ark said:

What a great logo that is.

I know there are people here who don't like the Skating Penguin, but if you like the Skating Penguin you cannot dislike that. 

There are subtle differences, and I think it boils down to the thickness of the lines - this is way too thin, pencil thin, when the skating penguin has thicker lines.  Because it's not a bad logo, but it's just a shade too cartoony. Just a shade. There isn't much of a difference between a cartoon and a cartoonish logo, but this is just a bit too far towards the former. I don't dislike it, but I think they could've made it so much better with hardly any changes.

I wonder if that will be fixed when there's a stitched version. Some of that might start to look a bit thicker.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Now that I've had a couple of days to mull it over: I have no real issues with using Roadrunners. Was it my first choice? No, but it works.

What bugs me is using their in-house design guys to produce a sub-par logo that honors another city's hockey heritage. The execution makes it look like they were just too cheap to spend the money to contract someone to create something modern.

Archived