NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

1 hour ago, MadmanLA said:

I dunno @the admiral, maybe it's time for Virginia McCaskey and her brood to sell the team...hell, you saw what changes at the top did for the Cubs and Blackhawks.  As an Illinois native, the Bears were, more or less, my second NFL team (behind another team full of malaise and incompetent ownership, the San Diego Chargers), but I always found it somehow bothersome that a team with the history and tradition that they have, and as one of the founding NFL franchises, they're ran like a small-market operation, if there's any such thing as "small-market" in the NFL.

Because the Bears, like the Raiders is basically the McCaskey family's only asset.  From 2010

When Virginia passes away, is when it may get difficult since the children will each get a share of the 80% they own and they'll likely fall below the minimum individual ownership share, like the Tennessee Titans.  AON founder Pat Ryan and McDonald's chairman emeritus Andrew McKenna have a combined 20%.

2013 Chicago Tribune

Court records showed a complex ownership structure designed by George Halas Sr. so the team would remain in the family and limit its taxes. Virginia McCaskey owned 30 percent through her own stake and holding companies; her children each owned 3.8 percent; and Stephen and Christine Halas, the two children of "Mugs" Halas, each owned 3.8 percent.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Because the Bears, like the Raiders is basically the McCaskey family's only asset.  From 2010

When Virginia passes away, is when it may get difficult since the children will each get a share of the 80% they own and they'll likely fall below the minimum individual ownership share, like the Tennessee Titans.  AON founder Pat Ryan and McDonald's chairman emeritus Andrew McKenna have a combined 20%.

I always a bit curious about the Titans' ownership situation once Bud Adams passed away...I knew had his family/estate has held on to the team, but it was never really publicized (at least nationally) who would be the "principal" owner going forward.  That Tennessean story somewhat reminds me of the Vikings' ownership situation in the '90s, where they had an ownership group comprised of at least ten people, and I believe they each owned no more than ten percent of the team.

With the Bears, I don't have any doubt that the Halas/McCaskey family will retain some stake in the team's ownership when that day Mrs. McCaskey passes on, but as we seen with other old-line family-owned NFL teams like the Steelers and Giants, they started selling-off pieces of the team, and I'm sure Ryan and McKenna will have right of refusal to up their stakes in the Bears.

21 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Until just before TNF started, it WAS a rule that every NFL team got at least one primetime game on SNF or MNF. Then in the next TV contract, they considered a 4pm game for east coast teams as 'primetime'.

That wasn't a rule.  That or St. Louis counted as "East Coast."

I'd be fine with binning TNF with the caveat that each team still gets one actual primetime game.  It's good for the out of market fans.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I do like the idea of off-Sunday games as a run-up to the playoffs, so do the Thanksgiving tripleheader, then do one Thursday night game, one early Saturday game, and one late Saturday game through Week 16 (in other words, a mix of what they did before 2006 and what they did from 2006 till whenever they expanded Thursday). Mandating one primetime game per team won't work unless ESPN and the league are willing to devalue Monday Night Football to the level of Mike Patrick Sunday Night Football. I guess you could offer Thursdays and Saturdays to everyone and if they opt out, so be it, but maybe there just won't be inventory to squander on the Titans and Jaguars.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Remember when TNT had NFL games? That was strange.

This is cool because it was from the Buccaneer's breakout season in 1997:

Here's some cool game footage:

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

While I don't personally mind TNF, I'd get rid of it if I could.  My biggest annoyance with it is the forced divisional matchups as if we care what Jaguars vs Titans looks like.  At least with MNF they seem to at least promote fresher matchups.  Those games seem to be more entertaining esp if it's cross conference - teams from any league will take unique chances against inter conference teams because they're not battling one another within the same playoff table.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

One possible consequence of eliminating Thursday night games is the demise of the NFL Network and all that revenue.

The biggest reason the network was finally to be on Time Warner and Bright House cable systems in 2012 after eight years was due to 13 games were going to be aired there thus markets like NYC, LA, San Diedo, Buffalo, Tampa, Orlando, Charlotte, KC, and Indy actually got the channel.

No more live games may be the loophole for cable operators to drop the channel or submit much lower carriage fees when it is time to renegotiate.

18 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Haven't they been streaming the TNF games on Twitter now?  Seems like an odd thing to do, since I kinda assume those games are the only reason why anyone would watch NFL Network.

Twitter only streams the ten games which are broadcast by CBS and NBC.

There's still eight games exclusive to NFL Network. That's 70 million homes at ~$1.30/month.

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Remember when TNT had NFL games? That was strange.

This is cool because it was from the Buccaneer's breakout season in 1997:

Here's some cool game footage:

Uncle Vern on TNT??

With Pat Haden??? ... and Mark May????

What a weird slice of NFL and sports broadcasting I missed out on as a kid.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Jay Cutler to IR so have can have surgery on his torn labrum.  He's the 16th player put on Injured Reserve for the Bears this year, and it's possible his last play in a Bears uniform was a pick.

Chargers lead the league in IR'd talent with 17 players, FYI.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived