Jump to content

Two or More Major Sports Teams in Same City with Same Name


Chipper25
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

What I am looking for are cities that had more than one major sport franchises in the same city with the same name preferably at the same time.

 

For example, at one time, St Louis had both the MLB Cardinals and the NFL Cardinals.

 

How many others can you think of?

 

Moderators feel free to cancel this thread if already done somewhere else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, ltp74 said:

Pittsburgh Pirates (MLB/NHL) 1925 to 1930, the hockey Pirates moved to Philadelphia after the 1930 season.

Pittsburgh Pirates (MLB/NFL) 1933 to 1939, the football Pirates changed their name to Steelers in 1940.

 

Damn!  I'm mad at myself for forgetting this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kinda makes me wonder why the NBA team couldn't keep the "Royals" nickname when it moved to Kansas City...you could have had the "Kansas City Baseball Royals" and the "Kansas City Basketball Royals."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MBurmy said:

Kinda makes me wonder why the NBA team couldn't keep the "Royals" nickname when it moved to Kansas City...you could have had the "Kansas City Baseball Royals" and the "Kansas City Basketball Royals."

 

I wonder if the 1970s nascent merchandising industry came into play there.  Once you start selling tshirts and license plate covers and everything else with your name on it, sharing that name seems less like a good idea.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even though the era of same name teams in the same city is long gone, I wish more cities had same color teams like Pittsburgh. I guess merchandising might discourage that a bit too. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I assumed we were talking about teams with the same name at the same time.  After rereading the original post, I see he only said "preferably at the same time."

 

If you include recycled names, the list gets much longer.

 

Dallas Texans (NFL/AFL)

Philadelphia Quakers (AFL I/NHL)

Baltimore Colts (AAFC/NFL) -- The original Colts moved from from the AAFC to the NFL, then folded.  The current franchise is separate).

Baltimore Orioles (NL/AL/AL) -- The original AL Orioles are now . . . the New York Yankees.

Milwaukee Brewers (AL/AL/NL) -- The original AL Brewers are now . . . the Baltimore Orioles.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Toronto Maple Leafs: MiLB 1902-1967, NHL 1927-present
I was surprised to learn that not only did they co-exist for 40 years, but the baseball team had the name 25 years before the hockey team did!

Memphis Grizzlies: WFL 1974-1975 (informally), NBA 2001-present
The WFL team was officially named the Southmen, but locals disliked that name so much that everyone just called them the Grizzlies, from the team's bear logo, instead.

New Orleans Pelicans: MiLB 1901-1959 + 1977, NBA 2013-present
The '77 team had a pretty cute logo, too:
NewOrleansPelicansLogo.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/10/2017 at 10:44 AM, ltp74 said:

Pittsburgh Pirates (MLB/NHL) 1925 to 1930, the hockey Pirates moved to Philadelphia after the 1930 season.

Pittsburgh Pirates (MLB/NFL) 1933 to 1939, the football Pirates changed their name to Steelers in 1940.

 

Also Pittsburgh Pirates of the old National Basketball League played from 1937 to 1939.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Memphis Grizzlies: WFL 1974-1975 (informally), NBA 2001-present
The WFL team was officially named the Southmen, but locals disliked that name so much that everyone just called them the Grizzlies, from the team's bear logo, instead.

"Grizzlies" was used in a lot of printed materials and merchandise as a secondary nickname, as well:

southmen-grizzlies.jpg.e3e84b5f65a6a5e14ba376a7cfc33d18.jpgwfl75-southmen-wimmer.JPG.d5c6d81dc76c72a042342ae4b9aaaa01.JPG

2 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

New Orleans Pelicans: MiLB 1901-1959 + 1977, NBA 2013-present
The '77 team had a pretty cute logo, too:
NewOrleansPelicansLogo.PNG

That's not the 1977 logo; that was one of several from the original incarnation. 

The 1977 logo and unis looked like this:

59d6a9a5bb451_PelicansLogo.jpg.0c2fead4e1b017decc4e90298e82e355.jpg59d6a9b923c29_1977PelicansProgramCover.jpg.9f10d16b152941a078a6f0b81aeb9687.jpg-eaafc56f852dc7f7.thumb.jpg.bbb6732868f6160703ed6e3236c217de.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

That's not the 1977 logo; that was one of several from the original incarnation. 

The 1977 logo and unis looked like this:

59d6a9a5bb451_PelicansLogo.jpg.0c2fead4e1b017decc4e90298e82e355.jpg59d6a9b923c29_1977PelicansProgramCover.jpg.9f10d16b152941a078a6f0b81aeb9687.jpg-eaafc56f852dc7f7.thumb.jpg.bbb6732868f6160703ed6e3236c217de.jpg

Ahh, okay then. If I had to guess the logo I posted (from Wikipedia's article on the team) is probably from 1940-1942 then, since that's the only other time they affiliated with the Cardinals.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, B-Rich said:

"Grizzlies" was used in a lot of printed materials and merchandise as a secondary nickname, as well:

southmen-grizzlies.jpg.e3e84b5f65a6a5e14ba376a7cfc33d18.jpgwfl75-southmen-wimmer.JPG.d5c6d81dc76c72a042342ae4b9aaaa01.JPG

I believe I remember reading that Grizzlies was the name they were going to officially go with when they tried to enter the NFL as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I believe I remember reading that Grizzlies was the name they were going to officially go with when they tried to enter the NFL as well. 

Yep. The actual case was "Mid-South Grizzlies v. NFL".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.