Portland and other MLB expansion name possibilities

Oso

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BellaSpurs said:

I thought you meant 60, 70% of Charlotte sports fans? Since the Hornets and panthers both wear shades of blue

"Carolina Blue" refers specifically to the shade of blue used by the University of North Carolina.

Naming a team the "Carolina Blue Sox" would immediately alienate every sports fan in North Carolina who isn't a fan of UNC. Anyone who's a hardcore fan of Duke, NC State, or Wake Forest would not support a team with "Carolina Blue" in their name. North Carolina sports fans are generally college sports first, professional sports second.

Quick ballpark estimate, I'd guess college sports fandom in North Carolina is a solid: 25% UNC, 20% Duke, 10% NC State, 10% combined Wake Forest/ECU/App State, combined 5-10% for other in-state schools (mostly Charlotte, Davidson, NC A&T, Western Carolina), and the remaining 25-30% out-of-state schools.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

3 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

"Carolina Blue" refers specifically to the shade of blue used by the University of North Carolina.

Thought it was Dennis Blue.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would hope Charlotte would just stick with the Knights name.  It's the oldest continuous sports brand in the Charlotte area, and you'd think such a team would have to play up whatever baseball tradition already exists in the era.  It's not like starting from scratch has been kind to most of the other sunbelt teams.  

The only other name I could get behind is Carolina Horsemen.  You may have to cut Ric Flair a share of the team to pull it off, but the original Charlotte minor league teams were owned by Jim Crockett Promotions, so it's not like a wrestling-themed name would be out of place.  

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

I would hope Charlotte would just stick with the Knights name.  It's the oldest continuous sports brand in the Charlotte area, and you'd think such a team would have to play up whatever baseball tradition already exists in the era.  It's not like starting from scratch has been kind to most of the other sunbelt teams.  

The only other name I could get behind is Carolina Horsemen.  You may have to cut Ric Flair a share of the team to pull it off, but the original Charlotte minor league teams were owned by Jim Crockett Promotions, so it's not like a wrestling-themed name would be out of place.  

I think baseball fans in the Carolinas will be supportive of their new MLB team whether it's called the Knights or something else. I don't think that's significant. 

@daveindc You're probably right, in all honesty.  I guess I just have a hard time believing there's really that much of a demand for baseball in Charlotte.  Let alone enough of one to necessitate a MLB franchise.  It's actually pretty insane to me that we're even talking about expansion at all. Quite a few teams wouldn't even exist in the first place if not for television driving revenue more than ticket sales.

7 hours ago, NicDB said:

@daveindc You're probably right, in all honesty.  I guess I just have a hard time believing there's really that much of a demand for baseball in Charlotte.  Let alone enough of one to necessitate a MLB franchise.  It's actually pretty insane to me that we're even talking about expansion at all. Quite a few teams wouldn't even exist in the first place if not for television driving revenue more than ticket sales.

We’re a little over 15 years removed from an attempt to contract two teams. Expansion really isn’t a good idea.

17 hours ago, daveindc said:

What a joke. They talk about an MLB team "cannibalizing" the Hornets' attendance and yet fail to mention how the Hurricanes can't draw either. Not to mention, Raleigh doesn't have the baseball attendance record that Charlotte does, since I believe only one team can hold the record for highest attendance for a season (for 5 years running). They talk about their growth, but fail to mention how Charlotte is projected to grow very similarly and is already a ton bigger. Raleigh could not host an MLB team, just like they can't host an NHL team. 

On 2/28/2019 at 2:18 AM, NicDB said:

There's no need for expansion right now, for sure. The Rays, Marlins, and plenty of other teams need to get their attendance numbers up, but I think the conversation is worth having in preparation for whenever expansion occurs.

the user formerly known as cdclt

MLB might have more success expanding to Mexico or the Dominican Republic instead of a mid-major US city that has trouble drawing fans for other sports. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

18 hours ago, Gothamite said:

MLB already has issues with the Canadian dollar; I seriously doubt they want to add two new currencies into the mix. 

That's a good economic point to address. My comment was only from the standpoint of being able to draw a crowd and pack a stadium. I feel like Mexico City would have a better chance at that than Raleigh. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived