2018 MLS Kits

labc93

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

It seems late for LAFC to debut their first kits. If I recall, the last few expansion sides debuted at least one kit leading up to Christmas. I know for sure Atlanta did, and I want to say Orlando and NYC, as well.

Yes - NYCFC unveiled both of its inaugural kits the November before their first season. LAFC has missed a holiday gift-giving season for presumably no reason.  

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They've used that slogan on shirts since 2014, but it looks like they're keeping the exact same version as on the 2016-17 shirt.

LA+Galaxy+2014+Home+Jersey+(1).jpgla-galaxy-2016-adidas-home-kit-b.jpg

Whats your take on all the “stuff” on MLS jerseys, specifically the extras like the graphics on the jock tag and back neck? Clutter, or added value?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

7 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

It seems late for LAFC to debut their first kits. If I recall, the last few expansion sides debuted at least one kit leading up to Christmas. I know for sure Atlanta did, and I want to say Orlando and NYC, as well.

MNUFC didn't unveil anything until February 17. They wore black practice gear for preseason. 

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Whats your take on all the “stuff” on MLS jerseys, specifically the extras like the graphics on the jock tag and back neck? Clutter, or added value?

Definitely added value.

I'm not a huge fan of hanger effects, on the inside of the collar, but even those I'm okay with.  I understand that clubs want to put these little details on their shirts, and would so much rather have jock tags than extra stripes or trim or piping.

This is pretty damn close to my Platonic ideal of an Adidas NYCFC kit:

usa_today_9985088.0.jpg

The little city flag just gives it that extra little touch.  Doesn't distract from the relatively simple and clean design, but adds a bit of local color.

So long as we're talking one small detail on the front, and maybe one small detail on the back, I think that can add a lot.  Anything more than that might descend into clutter.

27 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

MNUFC didn't unveil anything until February 17. They wore black practice gear for preseason. 

Yeah, but MNUFC's whole kit design process was rushed.   They had just seven months to get everything ready.  LAFC unveiled its badge and color scheme just over two years ago.  There's really no reason for them to still be sitting on their inaugural kits.

Wouldn't it be kind of funny if LAFC just didn't have an unveiling? They just walk onto the pitch and we see the look for the first time?  I donno why but that idea amuses me. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

14 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The Adidas stripes on the sleeves looks dumb. Remember when the Galaxy were a premier MLS franchise? It seems like so long ago.

My favorite Galaxy set was the early Beckham one:

beckham.jpg

I know it was just a template, but it looked really cool. And the switch to blue/gold looked so much better than the prior yellow/green set.

I always thought it was unfortunate that Beckham's great sea-changing arrival was worn such a dated template. The whole thing is very mid-00s. They subtly ditched the banana slug graphic by the next year, though:

Beckham_LA_Galaxy_cropped.jpg

That new sash look is a new-color version of the sash they wore in yellow and green just prior to Beckham's arrival. I'd be curious to see if the green makes more of a presence in the next couple years, with LAFC's black/gold look kinda encroaching on the navy/yellow look.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

5 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I think it's a way to try to get extra sales on the authentics since these little touches aren't offered on the replicas. With last year's Columbus Crew authentics having the state flag on it, I almost would have considered getting them because of the extra touches, but I can wait until the year is over and get them at a discount. 

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Definitely added value.

I'm not a huge fan of hanger effects, on the inside of the collar, but even those I'm okay with.  I understand that clubs want to put these little details on their shirts, and would so much rather have jock tags than extra stripes or trim or piping.

This is pretty damn close to my Platonic ideal of an Adidas NYCFC kit:

usa_today_9985088.0.jpg

The little city flag just gives it that extra little touch.  Doesn't distract from the relatively simple and clean design, but adds a bit of local color.

So long as we're talking one small detail on the front, and maybe one small detail on the back, I think that can add a lot.  Anything more than that might descend into clutter.

I agree. I do wish that the title stars were included on the replicas as well. I think MLS is the only ones that do not allow this. Then again it's the only league that owns all the team identities that I'm aware of. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

53 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

So weird the white kit is the one that is gone, considering they were clearancing out the gray/blue sash jerseys but not the white at the last few home games.

Is it possible both get tossed, like when Columbus rebranded? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Here’s an update to my Union mockup, with a shade of gold that better matches their social media graphics:

FgBq9Gu.jpg

Again, this is just to show how their generic home kit design could end up looking like with the lighter gold and on this season’s Adidas template. I don’t know any details about the specific design elements of their new primary kit, so in that respect this mockup is just a guess on my part. Also, now that we’ve seen a leak of the Galaxy shirt, I’ll start working on a full kit mockup for them later today.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

22 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Is it possible both get tossed, like when Columbus rebranded? 

I've no insider information but this is what I assumed would happen, given the slapdash nature of the initial set. The white kit was the particularly dated and templatey of the two so I guess if we're only dumping one, that's the better one to dump.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived