International Football 2018-2019

TrueYankee26

12 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Puts into perspective how much the Cold War ravaged Eastern Germany fußball for generations.

True. Union would be the first former GDR club in the Bundesliga since Energie Cottbus in 2009.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/20/2019 at 11:13 AM, MJWalker45 said:

The fact that this now qualifies as good news shows how far United have fallen. 

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

The fact that this now qualifies as good news shows how far United have fallen. 

It's the new truth of Premier League. One of the now Top 6 will be worrying about this every year. Last year United were 2nd.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

21 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

True. Union would be the first former GDR club in the Bundesliga since Energie Cottbus in 2009.

RB Leipzig?

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

2 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

He is talking about teams that played in the East German (GDR) football league, Energie Cottbus and Union Berlin was a part of until it disbanded in 1991.

RB Leipzig was founded in 2009, 18 years after the GDR folded and East German clubs joined West Germany.

If anybody would know, it would be somebody named @Berlin Wall

Yeah, I meant teams that participated in the GDR leagues prior to 1991. It's also interesting that most of the top teams from the GDR never partizipated in the Bundesliga. The only one was Dynamo Dresden, and that only for one year in the 90s.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

And Barca get upended in the Copa Del Rey Final... 

No way I see Valverde sticking around now... he’s been able to win the league in back to back years but neither of the Madrid sides have really put much of an effort to stop him. I think Barca will go for Poch if he’s available or maybe even Ten Hag from Ajax. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

21 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Celtic have won the treble treble!! 3 straight years they win all domestic Scottish titles.

I should be impressed I guess, but I'm not. They are the big bully on the block and the only consistent threat they had was the old Rangers. And that was a decade ago. They have managed to avoid losing games they aren't supposed to though, so to be able to do it for three straight years is excellent work. It just feels like they start with a 12 point lead in the league every year though. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

19 hours ago, DScruggy729 said:

And Barca get upended in the Copa Del Rey Final... 

No way I see Valverde sticking around now... he’s been able to win the league in back to back years but neither of the Madrid sides have really put much of an effort to stop him. I think Barca will go for Poch if he’s available or maybe even Ten Hag from Ajax. 

Poch won't coach Barca, he's an Espanyol guy

1 hour ago, TheGrimReaper said:

Poch won't coach Barca, he's an Espanyol guy

Who he used to play or coach for shouldn't preclude him from a job. Mark Hughes is a United legend but still coached at City and Blackburn Rovers.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Who he used to play or coach for shouldn't preclude him from a job. Mark Hughes is a United legend but still coached at City and Blackburn Rovers.

Note the timestamp - March 30, 2017 - so things may have changed since, but Pochettino is on record as saying:

But for me before being a manager, before being a player, being loyal is more important. I am an Espanyol fan. I love Espanyol. It’s like Tottenham for me now. It will be impossible, one day, to move to Arsenal. It will be impossible.”

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Note the timestamp - March 30, 2017 - so things may have changed since, but Pochettino is on record as saying:

People say they can't do something, then turn around and do said thing. If Levy refuses to bring in big signings I can see him leaving.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I have huge respect for Poch. As someone who likes Messi infinitely more than they like Barca, to see them become desperate, sack Valverde with the assumption they can lure Poch, then get stuffed by him and end up having to scramble for a new manager. 

I think this season is the first of a transition to the Premier League as the best league in the world. To me, they had always been the most competitive, but La Liga was the best. Real regressed hard this year, and Barca still can’t win much of anything of worth recently. Combine that with the fact that City and Liverpool are probably two of the three or four best teams in Europe, and it seems to lend itself to England once again housing the best league in the world. 

spacer.png

The Premier League is the richest league in the world by a country mile. It's about time that they managed to make that money pay off. And I'm not saying that to be a snarky, hipster PL-hater, either, because I very enjoy watching the PL; it just was jarring about 3-4 years back how poor the league was for the money that was being invested into it. They needed the Pep's and Klopp's of the world to come there to finally start turning that money into results and, more importantly, pleasant football on the eyes to watch.

spacer.png

Aston Villa are back in the Premier League! They beat Derby County 2-1 today at Wembley to secure their promotion alongside Norwich City and Sheffield United.

On 5/19/2019 at 3:55 PM, Berlin Wall said:

After Leeds screwed it up again, I hope that Union makes it against Stuttgart in the Bundesliga relegation games.

And Union Berlin is promoted to the Bundesliga as they defeat Stuttgart on arrogate, so you will get a Berlin Derby next year.

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

Archived