Mascot Redesigns

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

University of Maine's mascot, Bananas, has gone through a handful of changes over the years. They have a handy little website about it, seen here, and it appears that they even have a little display somewhere on campus, as seen in this photo:

Spirit-Room-1024x667.jpg

All of the NFL teams also had Huddles mascots that were league designed. Some actually stuck around a bit before the teams went to controlling their mascots again. 

Image result for nfl huddles mascots

Then a few years ago the NFL tried to do this again with the Rush Zone mascots. Apparently the original Brutus Buckeye had hidden trees in each NFL city.

Lz1dxj4.png

puGhzqB.jpg

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Casey the Lion of the Omaha Royals/Golden Spikes/Storm Chasers:

Original:

-6938905443448341893.jpg

Golden Spikes era:

This photo is from the day they unveiled the Golden Spikes name, apparently they didn't have a hat ready yet.

5ab7192205fe3.image.jpg

He finally got the right hat but that jersey was never worn by the Spikes. It's a Royals leftover with the Spikes mark thrown on.

Omaha-Royals-Omaha-Storm-Chasers-Golden-

Omaha Royals 2.0:

Here's where things go downhill. Horrible color distribution and a red hat Omaha never wore.

99857-10143013Fr.jpg

PICT0235.jpg

For some reason they increased the red toward the end of the Rosenblatt era, despite the team not wearing red.

080507-O-9999D-002.JPG

Storm Chasers:

Werner_-_Lion_FULL_V2T.jpg

Recently Casey shed his road uniform in favor of the home uniform after the road uniform was retired by the team.

I0000.AQWFlI.pUI.jpg

(I just noticed I'm in the last picture, wearing the powder blue hat.)

2 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Not sure if it counts as a full on redesign, but Sparky the Dragon changed colors along with the Islanders when they went from navy to royal blue.

Image result for sparky the dragon

Image result for sparky the dragon

Sparky went through a more radical redesign when he went from the mascot for the New York Dragons Arena Football team to the Islanders' mascot. 

JJY06GB.jpg

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Are you from Milwaukee? Honest question because you tend to have all the answers when it comes to the Brewers.

Yep.  Born in Manhattan, grew up splitting my time between Hell's Kitchen and Milwaukee.  I've been back in NYC for two decades now, but damn if sports allegiances aren't hard to shake.  ;) 

Bucky Badger, mascot of one of my alma maters, has had a bunch of re-designs. 

He started in 1949 as a very tall, handmade papier-mâché head.

20253681553_f8037fd5f9_b.jpgbadger2.png

In 1955, they upgraded the head. to better resemble the logo.

1965-Color-Bucky_body_1200w-1075x1000.jp 

32db5a8bee335cdf0f898797ca6ab9dd--wisconth?id=OIP.wytNK2jghKVPBcozFgqsRgHaJk

They should have stopped there.  It's much more accurate than the glassy-eyed version they introduced in the 1980s:

uwar00831x-648x775.jpg

And then they made it even worse in the 1990s.

59cd3f70501b5.image.jpg?resize=1200,797

That thing is hideous.  Misshapen and wrong.  Sunken, soulless eyes.  Strangle blobs on his face.  And brown?

Hell, even the cheap bobbleheads they sell at the bookstore do a better job of translating the logo into three dimensions.

49049710001-2.jpg

1 hour ago, eRay said:

University of Maine's mascot, Bananas, has gone through a handful of changes over the years. They have a handy little website about it, seen here, and it appears that they even have a little display somewhere on campus, as seen in this photo:

Spirit-Room-1024x667.jpg

That's awesome.  All schools should do that.

2 hours ago, eRay said:

Spirit-Room-1024x667.jpg

Aren't Maine the Black Bears?  Why was the mascot blue for awhile?

While I was at UW-Milwaukee, our mascot went from this (Victor E. Panther):
pic2mailcopyofIMG_058174.jpg

To this (Pounce Panther):
begeluwmklotsche_fullsize_story1.jpg?201

I'm still upset they didn't choose my suggestion for a name, "Roarin' Dan;" after Roarin' Dan Seevy.  A famous timber pirate from Milwaukee who sailed the Great Lakes.

As a bonus.  This also came up when I was looking for pics.  Apparently it's from 1977:
cheerleaders1977.jpg

Archived