Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

If it’s labeled as an alt, then it belongs on Wikipedia.  Even if they haven’t yet worn it. 

I'm more just curious and wondering if everyone knows what the deal is.   I looked through to see what pants they were wearing because somebody did an earlier version a while back when they were first released and the pants are also blue, and was surprised to find the blue nowhere in sight.

11 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I don't believe they have worn or intend on wearing the black alternates on Sundays. Right now it seems to be Friday and Saturdays only for those. I don't know how the Marlins have listed the blue jersey in official documentation but it's always been clear to me that it is currently being relegated to spring training and batting practice only. It might become a game jersey in the future, but it does not appear to be now. So I would not put that in the same category as the infamous orange cap, which the wore for a total of 4 games between 2012 and 2018. I don't know how much recent precedent there is for teams to wear their BP jerseys in the regular rotation for game's during the season. I suspect we might see something like that eventually, but most certainly not this season.

In short, I don't think the team is reneging on the blue jersey. There just might be some kind of quirk in how it's being listed or somebody made a mistake.

The shop lists it as an alternate, while BP and ST are usually designated as such and not as "alternate".

Huh.   Just got home and apparently the click of the submit button never took.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been watching the Marlins-Cubs series all week, where somehow the worst team in the majors is putting up a bigger fight than the Cardinals did, and they've worn grey in all four games. I wanted to see the black uniforms in action so I could complain about them. The greys are nothing to write home about. I'd even say they're bad.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

48 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I've been watching the Marlins-Cubs series all week, where somehow the worst team in the majors is putting up a bigger fight than the Cardinals did, and they've worn grey in all four games. I wanted to see the black uniforms in action so I could complain about them. The greys are nothing to write home about. I'd even say they're bad.

I happen to think that the road grays are the best of the four jerseys. Or rather the least offensive in terms of design flaws. They won't wear the black alternates until Friday and Saturday, per the schedule they've established.

At any rate, it's a painful reminder of how awesome their 1993-2002 road grays were. Terribly underrated jersey.

5 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Yea we discussed this at the start of the season and it was said the blue jerseys were ST only, despite fans wanting it.  I'm hoping for a version of it for player's weekend.

I’ve really tried to be supportive of this set. I don’t mind the home whites or road grays, but the black alt is a disaster. I’m hoping the player’s weekend is black with blue text just to give us a chance to see if the black alt is salvageable. 

23 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

So, doing the Wikipedia updates for the uniforms.   Looking back it seems that the Marlins are wearing white at home, gray on the road, and black Saturday, Sunday, and sometimes Friday (unless they just had a number of Fridays off and that's why I only saw Sat/Sun at first).   Where's the blue?   I know there's a blue BP, but the blue was bandied about and is still labeled as an alt.   They reneg on that, or plan on wearing it once or twice like the Yankees did that year everyone got pressed into doing it with their BPs?   What's with the Marlins and quickly disappearing uniforms?

Are you the one to who I can request to remove those ridiculous blue pants that never even existed currently on wikipedia for the Marlins? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just realized you do know about that problem, sorry, but thanks again if you do fix it.

As far as I know the Marlins have always said the blue jersey is BP/ST, where is it said that it's an alternate? I only remember it being called an alternate in media write ups on the date of the reveal but that could be as simple as a reporter making a mistake and everyone else running with it. That jersey is worn daily by the Marlins for BP and it was worn for every spring training game but one. With that said, I think the design of the jersey clearly says BP too, since it has the chest logo and not a wordmark. It looks way more like other BP jerseys than any alternate jerseys.

57 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

As far as I know the Marlins have always said the blue jersey is BP/ST, where is it said that it's an alternate? I only remember it being called an alternate in media write ups on the date of the reveal but that could be as simple as a reporter making a mistake and everyone else running with it. That jersey is worn daily by the Marlins for BP and it was worn for every spring training game but one. With that said, I think the design of the jersey clearly says BP too, since it has the chest logo and not a wordmark. It looks way more like other BP jerseys than any alternate jerseys.

I think a lot of people just assumed that it would be a game jersey because it was the most vibrant and generally preferred among the ones the team unveiled. So it does seem like people just ran with that although it's not really based in reality.

And I agree that it is designed much more like a practice jersey. I would not like to see it in regular season use until they slap a real wordmark on it.

6 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Are you the one to who I can request to remove those ridiculous blue pants that never even existed currently on wikipedia for the Marlins? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just realized you do know about that problem, sorry, but thanks again if you do fix it.

mmmm blue pants 😛

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

6 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

mmmm blue pants 😛

I hope you’re talking about the wrestler, and not the marlins wearing blue pants. But I know you aren’t so I’ll just sit here and yell at a cloud in the mean time.

4 hours ago, tubby34 said:

I wouldn’t look too deeply into that, the astros BP Jersey they wear in games goes for the same amount.

Surely by now the Marlins and MLB realize that the black alternate is largely detested and that the blue BP/ST jersey is the most preferred in the new set among fans (although I still think it would be tons better with Marlins--not Miami--wordmark and piping). Given how desperate Jeter & co. are to generate some kind of enthusiasm for a historically bad team, if the blue jersey were a legitimate alternate, they'd most definitely be wearing it in real games.

If I were Jeter, I'd try to start some Throwback Thursdays ASAP. The 25th anniversary weekend was a huge hit and undoubtedly one of the most warmly received actions of the new front office.

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

Surely by now the Marlins and MLB realize that the black alternate is largely detested and that the blue BP/ST jersey is the most preferred in the new set among fans (although I still think it would be tons better with Marlins--not Miami--wordmark and piping). Given how desperate Jeter & co. are to generate some kind of enthusiasm for a historically bad team, if the blue jersey were a legitimate alternate, they'd most definitely be wearing it in real games.

If I were Jeter, I'd try to start some Throwback Thursdays ASAP. The 25th anniversary weekend was a huge hit and undoubtedly one of the most warmly received actions of the new front office.

Except that Jeter is pretty stubborn/persistent for these things (not necessarily in a bad way) so he may insist on not wearing throwbacks and not forcing the blue jersey into the rotation. I'm saying if Jeter truly likes those black jerseys and truly wants to push this new look over the throwbacks then he'll stick to this for better or worse, or at the very least he's not giving in/giving up two months into the first season with these uniforms. I also wouldn't call Jeter desperate. He's not irrationally desperate like Loria was. There's a difference between desperation and an immediate desire for better.

3 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

That sounds an awful lot like a former Marlins owner.

Loria was stubborn but also irrational and had plenty of moments that came from knee jerk reactions... that irrational behavior is what Jeter hasn't shown yet and that's the difference between the two.

Archived