Angels tell Anaheim they're opting out of their lease on Angel Stadium

Gothamite

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Hey, it’s better than demanding a new stadium all the time. Heck, I’m pretty sure this is how most clubs in Europe handle their stadium situations. They’ll work with the old building as long as you can, getting into a Theseus’ Ship situation after about fifty years of doing this.

https://www.ballparkratings.com/park/los-angeles-angels-of-anaheim/angel-stadium-of-anaheim/   

16 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Arrowhead Stadium and Kauffman Stadium are still among the best stadiums in the league despite also being some of the oldest. Renovate, Don't Annihilate is the best path. 

I agree. Their only downfall is their location in the middle of a giant parking lot when KC has such a vastly improved urban core. That wouldn't be enough to raze Kaufmann -- it's a gem of a stadium -- but it will always be battling that debate over urban density. 

22 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I agree. Their only downfall is their location in the middle of a giant parking lot when KC has such a vastly improved urban core. That wouldn't be enough to raze Kaufmann -- it's a gem of a stadium -- but it will always be battling that debate over urban density. 

Thing is, right now, there isn't mass transit that would allow a downtown stadium to be functional aside from a 2 mile streetcar and a bus system. There's limited parking for downtown as well so a downtown stadium would be a disaster. Kansas City has a lot of highways so a stadium with a large parking lot is what makes sense right now. Same with Orange County vis a vis the Angels Stadium.

Lease runs out in 2031 for both Kauffman and Arrowhead. They are talking about expanding the streetcar to Westport (a bar district that's 5 miles or so south from Union Station where the southern terminus is for the streetcar) plus they're still building capacity for parking. John Sherman has been pressing for a downtown stadium so maybe the infrastructure will be there by the time the lease is up. I don't think Arrowhead would be torn down, though. The Chiefs (and the people running the Truman Sports Complex) would probably turn the footprint that was Kauffman into a spot reserved for tailgaters only. Maybe they keep the fountains for those early games in the season. At that point, the question would be if 22 co-owners of the Royals and John Sherman are going to pay for this stadium themselves and if not, whether there is the political will among the people to approve of taxpayer funding for a stadium.

• Like 3

The Royals can move downtown, and I'd be sad to see Kauffman go (future home: Hallmark Park?), but there's no reason for the Chiefs to leave Arrowhead and its ocean of parking. It barely gets used, just let it sit there and give people from all over the Plains a place to toss beanbags and eat gloppy deli food, it's fine, it's whatever.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

And here's the Ducks plans for the Honda Center land that was mentioned in the Angels article. Called ocV!BE... which is I guess their play on LA Live, but not a great name.

hoxi0j5tyv651.png

siteplan_rev3.jpg

A sustainable community emphasizing walkability, health and wellness, and lifestyle amenities

30,000 capacity of live entertainment, including a new 6,000-capacity concert venue

30 acres of public open space including three unique plazas and 20 acres of park

A 5-acre, riverfront park with the ability to host seasonal outdoor concerts and events

30+ restaurant concepts, including a food hall with diverse offerings and multiple standalone restaurants

Uniquely themed and intimate clubs

Two hotels, consisting of 650 rooms total, thematically aligned with the energy of the district

A network of pedestrian bridges and walkways including a landmark bridge crossing Katella Avenue

825,000 square feet of office space, including a new 325,000-square-foot office tower

2,800 residential units, including a commitment of 15% affordable housing units

8,700+ parking spaces among several structures, new roads and increased capacity to enhance ingress/egress

IbjBaeE.png

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Royals can move downtown, and I'd be sad to see Kauffman go (future home: Hallmark Park?), but there's no reason for the Chiefs to leave Arrowhead and its ocean of parking. It barely gets used, just let it sit there and give people from all over the Plains a place to toss beanbags and eat gloppy deli food, it's fine, it's whatever.

Hey, that's fine by me. Not everyone has to be the avatar of high culture. Gloppy deli food OTOH? Them's fightin' words. 

On 6/24/2020 at 10:54 AM, Red Comet said:

Arrowhead Stadium and Kauffman Stadium are still among the best stadiums in the league despite also being some of the oldest. Renovate, Don't Annihilate is the best path. 

I agree but for the majority of the stadiums being replaced in baseball were multi-purpose stadiums or just stadiums that reached the end of their road due to improper care like Comiskey Park. The last two cases of new ballparks in ATL and Dallas were forced as well as the Mercedes Benz stadium.

• 1 year later...

I don't know much about the housing/shopping development plan around the stadium, but I feel like something around there would be nice. I was there over the summer at a hotel nearby, and the entire walk to the stadium was just parking lot. The few restaurants right there were either breweries (which were nice) or like Chipotle or...I wanna say a Denny's? Granted, I'm used to Philly, where the stadium complex is its own little mess of traffic, parking and garbage, so having more than one option to go before the game was nice.

The stadium itself could also use a bit of a face-lift. The concourses were all pretty dated, and the food selection wasn't great. 

• 5 months later...

The stadium thing isn’t even the most shocking bit. To me, I don’t know why you’d buy a half million dollar helicopter and then try to cheat the taxman. I know politicians think they’re invincible but that’s just so egregious it was begging for an investigation. Hell, this whole saga has been an intro class to public-private collusion. 

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 1