MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I seeing things, or was that New England/Orlando match on grass?

Or did the Patriots decide to install a new, visually realistic turf?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Am I seeing things, or was that New England/Orlando match on grass?

Or did the Patriots decide to install a new, visually realistic turf?

They mentioned on the OC broadcast that they put grass over the turf.

ExJworW.png

Pretty nice kit matchup at last night’s All Star Game:

spacer.png

Nice to see the MLS All Stars have white shorts to go with the purple tops and socks, which in turn allowed Atléti to don their traditional home strip. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

7 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Pretty nice kit matchup at last night’s All Star Game:

spacer.png

Nice to see the MLS All Stars have white shorts to go with the purple tops and socks, which in turn allowed Atléti to don their traditional home strip. 

All Star unis should always be based on the team hosting. It allows for different color combinations that make for more aesthetically pleasing games. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

All Star unis should always be based on the team hosting. It allows for different color combinations that make for more aesthetically pleasing games. 

I disagree! I found purple to be tough to watch against a team wearing predominantly red and royal blue (for the five minutes I tuned in). And it's strange for, say, Atlanta's Martinezes to wear what's effectively an Orlando kit.

But I am glad that Atletico stayed away from wearing an unremarkable third-kit look, as so many MLS all-star opponents do.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Just now, Digby said:

I disagree! I found purple to be tough to watch against a team wearing predominantly red and royal blue (for the five minutes I tuned in). And it's strange for, say, Atlanta's Martinezes to wear what's effectively an Orlando kit.

I'd compare them to the NBA All Star game. If LeBron's on the team in Charlotte wearing a teal uniform, are we going to compare it to him wearing a Hornets jersey? Even though the colors are similar, the patterns and lack of gold were enough to let me know they weren't wearing an Orlando City uniform.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 4 weeks later...

My assumption is Portland green v Seattle black/pink would be too dark/dark, so they went with at least a dark/light(ish) contrast.

You can't ask Portland to wear white at home, though don't they have white shorts? That could have helped again Seattle in black.

In any event, tonight is a great argument for MLS to go back to home/road/clash. This is a clash situation.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

29 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

My assumption is Portland green v Seattle black/pink would be too dark/dark, so they went with at least a dark/light(ish) contrast.

You can't ask Portland to wear white at home, though don't they have white shorts? That could have helped again Seattle in black.

In any event, tonight is a great argument for MLS to go back to home/road/clash. This is a clash situation.

Portland in white shorts would've been much better.

10 hours ago, Digby said:

ECs2hw2UEAY_8Fx.jpg

came here to post that. Horrendous look. I guess you can tell them apart but those shades atop a green field is no good at all. Can’t believe this was approved.

And this is why third kits shouldn't be required to have a resale number attached to them. Seattle's alternate would have been better, but it would still look ugly. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I was very surprised to see both teams wearing their primaries last night. It was the first time they’ve done that since both teams joined MLS. I didn’t think it was awful, especially after the sun went down, but it was definitely less than ideal. I do think the Timbers’ white shorts would’ve helped slightly, but not that much. Plus, the Timbers’ keepers were in white, which is probably why they elected not to wear the white shorts. I think Seattle probably could’ve worn their secondaries, especially if they wore the pink clash socks they debuted in the Open Cup against the Timbers earlier in the summer:

spacer.png

Had the Sounders worn that combo, and the Timbers had gone green/white/green, I think that would’ve been enough contrast and probably better than the double green matchup. The best solution still would’ve been for the Timbers to wear their secondaries at home, but I can understand them not wanting to be forced into wearing their secondaries at home against their biggest rivals. I think if it was that big of a deal they probably could’ve come to an agreement with the Sounders where, if the Timbers decided to wear their secondaries to avoid a clash, that the Sounders would refrain from wearing their primaries and would instead wear their secondaries as well. 

All in all I actually thought it was kind of fun seeing both teams wearing their primaries against one another since they’ve never done that in MLS and since it is such a big rivalry, but it definitely wasn’t the most visually appealing matchup. Chances are the league won’t allow it to happen again because there were quite a few people complaining about it on Twitter, and even the commentators made a couple comments about it.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived