North American Pro Soccer 2019

Gothamite

2 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Yep, since Tepper already owns the stadium, he wants to renovate it a bit, and then ask for an indoor domed stadium in about 10 years. I'll only like it if it includes a baseball team with it.

Just now, Wings said:

The days of MLB/NFL shared stadiums are over with the Raiders/A's the only one until the Raiders move to Vegas next year. An MLB team in Charlotte or Raleigh would have it's own ballpark. 

Not to mention that the county built the Knights ballpark recently. I don't know enough about Charlotte politics to say if a publicly built football stadium for a billionaire would be well received. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

Not to mention that the county built the Knights ballpark recently. I don't know enough about Charlotte politics to say if a publicly built football stadium for a billionaire would be well received. 

Tepper's response is that Charlotte loses out on events to Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta, specifically the Final Four.

On beginning discussions of a Panthers stadium with a roof — ideally in uptown Charlotte — to eventually replace Bank of America Stadium.

“I’ve been talking about some sort of a new stadium. It’s really a whole, big statewide sort of deal. With stadiums, if you do a retractable roof, you have to do a real big open thing for this part of the country ... I’d really like to see basketball be played there, too. (Partner) with the ACC at some point, and try to do a broad strategy with North Carolina and South Carolina.

On what such a facility could draw:

“If we do football, and if we do end up with a soccer franchise, and then have all the other events there — have a Final Four there — that would be the cherry on top. It’s not like idle chatter; it’s something I’d really like to see done. To say that I’m going to do it in the next year, that’s not true. But to put something out in the future — say hey to the governor of North Carolina, to the mayor (of Charlotte), we need to be aspirational because this is a great area. We need to realize how great it can be,”

On how much conversation has there been with local and state government:

“Have we sat down to do a 10-year plan yet? No. But we’ve been doing a lot of things in the past year on the facility side. It’s not like we’ve been idle, but it’s first things first — like the (practice) bubble.

“If we want to have a long-range plan to think about this stuff — if it’s seven or eight years out — we have to start talking about it. So you guys can (ask), ‘How great do you want the Carolinas to be?’ Do you want Final Four basketball or not?’

“How the heck can you not have a Final Four in North Carolina when Indianapolis has one all the freakin’ time? It’s ridiculous. There is some pride involved here..”

9 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

1 minute ago, dfwabel said:

Tepper's response is that Charlotte loses out on events to Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta, specifically the Final Four.

Yeah, he's trying to appeal to the city about hosting more events, specifically the Final Four and Super Bowl. I hope the city doesn't bite, he can pay for his own stadium, and I'd rather have a MLB team than hosting a Super Bowl.

the user formerly known as cdclt

34 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Yeah, it's neat to have former players as owners, but David Tepper is worth about $12 billion dollars. Would any league turn down that kind of money?

Nope they would not, which is why Charlotte will be one of the next two. 

25 minutes ago, Digby said:

I’m pulling for Charlotte to fulfill my long-held desire for an MLS team in teal. Ever since Seattle blew their chance. 

Alts don't count, but....

f18b2675813c19530ae917900cd3cc36--jersey

IMG_1884-780x438.png

Seattle won't be happy until it "well, actually"'s all the uniform colors of the rainbow. At this point, I think we're only missing red and purple.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Sure! Toss Charlotte in the mix as well. Balance it out with, pffft, I dunno, Omaha? That's where Warren Buffet is from, right? 

Little Rock is our go-to small city joke, thank you very much. Speaking of which, how much money would I need to convince MLS to do something like that? Excuse me while I hunt down the Walmart heirs' contact info.

The Open Cup final may be on ESPN+, but they're using Ian Darke and Taylor Twellman. And within a minute of me tuning into the second half, Minnesota cut the lead in half to 2-1.

I normally root for Atlanta because I'm so impressed with everything the organization has done, but I'm pulling for Minnesota tonight. They were such garbage not that long ago!

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

spacer.png

VAMOS VAMOS VAMOS ATL!

No matter what, going to consider this season a success. Suddenly really excited about getting another berth in CCL next year. It was extremely annoying earlier this season, as I never thought Atlanta could win it and it cramped the schedule something awful. Two trophies later, and CCL stands as the last realistic accomplishment this club has yet to achieve.

Smallest home crowd in Atlanta history, but largest US Open Cup Final crowd ever.

PJU85JF.png

I was thinking more about the 30-team alignment and I've got it. Single table, but split the teams into five 6-team semi-divisions, or rivalry groups, or whatever, just for scheduling purposes. Play each team once, plus five additional games against nearby rivals. It's not balanced, but again, who cares. Keeps the schedule at a manageable 34 games.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

10 minutes ago, Digby said:

2019-mls-playoff-schedule-0.png

This is a little surprising to me -- what's the reasoning for compressing the conference knockouts like that, when there's room to do one per week up until MLS Cup? A fear of going up against football?

Travel time for MLS Cup?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

MLS being done in October is kind of a bummer. I didn't mind the December Cup date, though the two weeks in between playoff matchups was always kind of dumb.

There are really sweet graphics MLS creates.

Poor Cincinnati :(

1 hour ago, Digby said:

2019-mls-playoff-schedule-0.png

This is a little surprising to me -- what's the reasoning for compressing the conference knockouts like that, when there's room to do one per week up until MLS Cup? A fear of going up against football?

Wanted to shrink the post season. No more two leg rounds. Had to go with what ABC could give them. But had to be before that last fifa break. The midweek playoffs ensure television and maybe more viewers than going against NFL and college football on Saturday and Sunday. Since MLS Cup is the high seed hosts, need prep time than when it was a neutral site. 

That two-day break is going to give an insane advantage to the 1 seed.

Fanwise, it sucks going to matches in the middle of the week. They did a much better job last year putting the games during the weekend, NFL be damned. This year, seems like they're afraid to go head-to-head until the final itself. Even then, slotting it to go up against peak RedZone time instead of a single Packers/Bears match up is bizarre. 

PJU85JF.png

1 minute ago, Sykotyk said:

Wanted to shrink the post season. No more two leg rounds. Had to go with what ABC could give them. But had to be before that last fifa break. The midweek playoffs ensure television and maybe more viewers than going against NFL and college football on Saturday and Sunday. Since MLS Cup is the high seed hosts, need prep time than when it was a neutral site. 

Conference Semis go up against World Series game 2 and luckily a Redskins/Vikings game respectively.

Archived