Arena Football News & Updates

4 hours ago, pluggerplugger1 said:

This tweet would seem to confirm Chicago and Philadelphia as well, bringing us to 14 teams confirmed by the league. If they are aiming for 16, I wonder who the last two would be? I've seen reports about the VooDoo in Lake Charles and the Florida Cyclones in Lakeland, FL.

When Orlando was announced, the Commissioner of the AFL said that there was going to be 20 teams. 

41 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

When Orlando was announced, the Commissioner of the AFL said that there was going to be 20 teams. 

Ah I see, I must have missed that. I've seen both 16 and 20 teams floating around, didn't realize 20 came directly from the commish.

I'm hopeful the remaining announcements will be more like Nashville and Orlando, and less like Dodge City and Council Bluffs.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

1 hour ago, pluggerplugger1 said:

Ah I see, I must have missed that. I've seen both 16 and 20 teams floating around, didn't realize 20 came directly from the commish.

I'm hopeful the remaining announcements will be more like Nashville and Orlando, and less like Dodge City and Council Bluffs.

Lest you think that 4/27 game is some sort of commemorative one-off, the Rush account lists its location as Rockford, IL. So yes, we are apparently doing that again, and if you can call Rockford "Chicago," you can call Everett "Seattle," Council Bluffs "Omaha," and Dodge City, Kansas "Los Angeles." Now you're a big-time football league!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

9 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Lest you think that 4/27 game is some sort of commemorative one-off, the Rush account lists its location as Rockford, IL. So yes, we are apparently doing that again, and if you can call Rockford "Chicago," you can call Everett "Seattle," Council Bluffs "Omaha," and Dodge City, Kansas "Los Angeles." Now you're a big-time football league!

To be fair, the USFL calls Detroit "Philadelphia", Canton, OH "Pittsburgh" and "New Jersey", Memphis "Houston" and Birmingham "New Orleans". So...

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Welcome to "Whose League Is It Anyway?," the game where the finances are made up and the home markets don't matter.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

39 minutes ago, McCall said:
10 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

To be fair, the USFL calls Detroit "Philadelphia", Canton, OH "Pittsburgh" and "New Jersey", Memphis "Houston" and Birmingham "New Orleans". So...

When I started to read this post, I thought that it was going to be the acknowledgement that the NFL calls Santa Clara "San Francisco", calls East Rutherford "New York", and calls Arlington "Dallas", and that it may soon be calling Naperville "Chicago".  It also used to call Pontiac "Detroit", as did the NBA, which, additionally, called Richfield "Cleveland", and which at one time seemed poised to call Camden "Philadelphia". And Major League Baseball calls Anaheim "Los Angeles".

Which is to say that there's nothing wrong with this. A major city has a sphere of influence that encompasses many neighbouring municipalities, so naming a team that is based in one of those smaller municipalities after the region's primary city is sensible.

Please note that I am not necessarily claiming that the new AFL is not cheesy.  But if it's cheesy, the reason that it's cheesy is not its naming practices.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

54 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Which is to say that there's nothing wrong with this. A major city has a sphere of influence that encompasses many neighbouring municipalities, so naming a team that is based in one of those smaller municipalities after the region's primary city is sensible.

Please look at Rockford on a map and its location relative to Chicago. Then look at Rosemont, IL, and understand that some people both local and out-of-market get twitchy about teams in that town labeling themselves "Chicago." (I am not one of those people.)

"Rockford Rush" is a perfectly cromulent name for a market with its own well-established minor league sports scene. You aren't going to win over Stateliners by pretending you're Chicago, and you're not going to get Chicagoans coming 70 miles out on I-90 to see you because of it, either. So what's the point?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

When I started to read this post, I thought that it was going to be the acknowledgement that the NFL calls Santa Clara "San Francisco", calls East Rutherford "New York", and calls Arlington "Dallas", and that it may soon be calling Naperville "Chicago".  It also used to call Pontiac "Detroit", as did the NBA, which, additionally, called Richfield "Cleveland", and which at one time seemed poised to call Camden "Philadelphia". And Major League Baseball calls Anaheim "Los Angeles".

Please note that I am not necessarily claiming that the new AFL is not cheesy.  But if it's cheesy, the reason that it's cheesy is not its naming practices.

Rockford is supposedly two hours away from Chicago, so I don't know how that makes any sense at all to call them Chicago.  It's like when the USFL decided to place the Pittsburgh Maulers in Canton, Ohio saying that Canton is a part of the Greater Pittsburgh Area, when in reality Canton is closer to Cleveland.  

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

Please look at Rockford on a map and its location relative to Chicago.

55 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Rockford is supposedly two hours away from Chicago,

It's preferable to measure distance with units of distance, so I will say that I do indeed know that Rockford is about 80 or 90 miles away from Chicago, which, admittedly, is considerably more than the 40 or 50 miles that separate Santa Clara and San Francisco.  

Still, the point remains that naming a team after the big city in the region is unobjectionable, even if the team is located in an area that is, strictly speaking, outside the big city's recognised metropolitan area.

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

So what's the point?

The point is to be more attractive to advertisers, and also to have the listing look better on a TV schedule.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Please look at Rockford on a map and its location relative to Chicago. Then look at Rosemont, IL, and understand that some people both local and out-of-market get twitchy about teams in that town labeling themselves "Chicago." (I am not one of those people.)

"Rockford Rush" is a perfectly cromulent name for a market with its own well-established minor league sports scene. You aren't going to win over Stateliners by pretending you're Chicago, and you're not going to get Chicagoans coming 70 miles out on I-90 to see you because of it, either. So what's the point?

Its like how the 1997 Tennessee Oilers were based and practiced in Nashville, but made the 212 mile trip to Memphis for each home game, expecting fans to do the same. We all remember that not only did fans not drive from Nashville  for the games, fans in Memphis didnt show up either.

Signature intentionally left blank

56 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The point is to be more attractive to advertisers, and also to have the listing look better on a TV schedule.

This is a league with teams in Montana and five-figure cities in Kansas.

Also any TV exposure is going to require cash up front from the league, which I will believe they have as soon as they show it.

4 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Rockford Rush was a semipro team that became the Rockton Rush, then went bellyup.

Fitting.

It's where I sit.

Always a good sign when the announcement of the team botches the name of the home venue. The decently-sized Sudduth Coliseum at the Lake Charles Civic Center holds 7,500, but from the pics on the site I'm guessing that's for events that take up less floor space than an arena football field. Metro area's just over 200,000.

All the new logos based on old AFL identities have been downgrades.

• Yawn 1

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Rockford Rush was a semipro team that became the Rockton Rush, then went bellyup.

Fitting.

Shame they didn't have it in them to move once more and become the Roscoe Rush.

• Like 1