San Jose SaberCats 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Fowler said:

EAST

Albany Firebirds

Cleveland Gladiators 

Columbus Destroyers

Philadelphia Soul

That fantasy alignment is good, except for the Eastern Division. 

To fix it, return the Gladiators to New Jersey, and replace the Columbus Destroyers with the New York Dragons.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Halt Film Queue Candies.

Here's your current AFL reality:

Orlando, FL

Albany, NY

Council Bluffs, IA

Rapid City, SD

Wichita, KS

Salina, KS

Dodge City, KS

Odessa, TX

Billings, MT

Everett, WA

As nonsensical as that looks on its own, it becomes more absurd when you go to the official league Twitter account and scroll through, with all the promised launch markets and a stern post from the commissioner advising against believing any information not coming officially through the league or himself. Forget Chicago and Philadelphia; these dudes haven't even been able to deliver on promises of Tallahassee.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This thread has been fun to read through and I'm so confused about all this movement, but I think that's part of the arena football experience.

On 10/5/2023 at 10:01 PM, Dilbert said:

F7uDP7XWoAAi0an?format=png&name=360x360

I had an AFL PS2 game and picked New Orleans as my then favourite because I liked the logo.

I really hope this isn't real. Not that I'm super up on all of voodoo and all the apparel, but that clearly reads as a First Nation headdress and that seems like a wild move for a 2023 logo.

IbjBaeE.png

17 hours ago, monkeypower said:

This thread has been fun to read through and I'm so confused about all this movement, but I think that's part of the arena football experience.

Yeah, you get adjusted to the motion in the backfield after a couple games.

I decided to add 2022 estimates of metropolitan statistical area populations to the current lineup of franchises, because I have real work to do and do not want to do it.

Orlando, FL - 2,764,182

Albany, NY - 904,617

Council Bluffs, IA - 976,671 (includes Omaha; city population 62,799)

Rapid City, SD - 154,165

Wichita, KS - 650,039

Salina, KS - 46,889 (2020 census population, no MSA available)

Dodge City, KS - 27,788 (2020 census population, no MSA available

Odessa, TX - 177,216 (secondary city in Midland, TX MSA)

Billings, MT - 190,208

Everett, WA - 4,034,248 (as part of Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue MSA; city population 110,629)

You're telling me big networks are going to spend on broadcast rights for this when there's 100-yard football up and running during the same time of year? Alternately, you're telling me this current iteration of the AFL, clearly more fly-by-night and seat-of-pants than the two before it, is going to have the money and planning required to broker time from even a mid-major cable net? This bunch is going to be lucky to get games streaming on Twitch with a handful of Ring cameras.

• Like 1

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

I decided to add 2022 estimates of metropolitan statistical area populations to the current lineup of franchises, because I have real work to do and do not want to do it.

Orlando, FL - 2,764,182

Albany, NY - 904,617

Rapid City, SD - 154,165

Wichita, KS - 650,039

Billings, MT - 190,208

Everett, WA - 4,034,248 (as part of Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue MSA; city population 110,629)

You're telling me big networks are going to spend on broadcast rights for this when there's 100-yard football up and running during the same time of year? Alternately, you're telling me this current iteration of the AFL, clearly more fly-by-night and seat-of-pants than the two before it, is going to have the money and planning required to broker time from even a mid-major cable net? This bunch is going to be lucky to get games streaming on Twitch with a handful of Ring cameras.

They are allegedly going to have teams in Philly and Chicago.  

18 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Pretty sure that’s supposed to be more like a witch doctor’s headdress. Still inaccurate, but not something that would rile enough people up to care. 

That's what I kind of thought at first too but upon googling voodoo headdresses, that's very much looking like a First Nations headdress and not a voodoo one. The feather orientation, the feather on the beads hanging down off of circle shapes, the pattern on the headband, it's very First Nations. Google it.

I'll leave it at that before we cross over into mod territory.

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

Oh, I wasn't talking about the actual game play, especially not backfield motion because of the CFL. I was talking about the actual movement of teams between leagues that has been tracked in this thread. I'm fascinated by the car crash.

IbjBaeE.png

6 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Orlando, FL - 2,764,182

Albany, NY - 904,617

Rapid City, SD - 154,165

Wichita, KS - 650,039

Billings, MT - 190,208

They are not going to call the Everett team "Seattle" which they should. Instead they will be called Washington.

And the Commissioner of the AFL has said they will have games on NFL Network and Amazon, with more to come on that front.  

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

And the Commissioner of the AFL has said they will have games on NFL Network and Amazon, with more to come on that front.  

They are allegedly going to have teams in Philly and Chicago.  

The people heading up this league, they say a lot of things.

• Like 1

It's time to give up on arena football. Channel that energy into getting team handball over as a league sport, which I believe our own @Sport once called "something your gym teacher invented on a rainy day."

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

It's time to give up on arena football. Channel that energy into getting team handball over as a league sport, which I believe our own @Sport once called "something your gym teacher invented on a rainy day."

A bunch of team handball people came after me four or five years ago on Twitter when I said if you gave our best quarterbacks and our best soccer goalie six months they could win Olympic gold at team handball. I still think I’m right. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 minute ago, Sport said:

A bunch of team handball people came after me four or five years ago on Twitter when I said if you gave our best quarterbacks and our best soccer goalie six months they could win Olympic gold at team handball. I still think I’m right. 

Why stop there? Let's get an NBA backup point guard in the mix. This would be an amazing documentary: The Fever Dream Team.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sport said:

I think some MLB pitchers "tossing" the ball 90 mph+ could be pretty dominating.🤔

Isn't it basically a soccer ball? I don't think you can get that much velocity on it. Still throw it pretty hard, though.

What about arena dodgeball? How did fly-by-night promoters miss the boat on that one?

On 10/21/2023 at 9:39 AM, the admiral said:

Isn't it basically a soccer ball? I don't think you can get that much velocity on it. Still throw it pretty hard, though.

What about arena dodgeball? How did fly-by-night promoters miss the boat on that one?

Check out the old ultimate dodgeball championship.  Dodgeball on trampolines. I loved it.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

53 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

IFL has an announcement coming tomorrow.  I know the Barnstormers coach from when I worked for the Wisconsin Wolfpack a long time ago. Moges posted something that has me really interested in that announcement.

The most likely option involves the Massachusetts Pirates, who also have an announcement tomorrow on where they will be playing.  I could see the IFL announcement coming right after that to release their schedule for 2024.