Arena Football News & Updates

16 minutes ago, LMU said:

bItol1c.png

The vague state locations are a bit concerning. California doesn’t exactly narrow down much.

TMZ says California is Bakersfield, Louisiana is Lake Charles, Colorado is Denver, Ohio is Cincinnati, Washington is Everett, Minnesota is St. Paul, Tennessee is Nashville and Oregon is Salem.

West Texas could be the West Texas Warbirds, currently of the NAL.  

https://www.tmz.com/2023/07/18/arena-football-league-afl-team-locations-revealed-philadelphia-chicago/

The Arena Football League is just months away from relaunching, and now we know the locations the sixteen AFL organizations will call home -- a mix of preexisting markets and brand-new teams.

-Austin (Wranglers)
-Boise (Burn)
-California (will play in Bakersfield)
-Chicago (Rush)
-Colorado (will play in Denver) (Crush)
-Minnesota (will play in St. Paul) (Fighting Pike)
-Louisiana (will play in Lake Charles)
-Ohio (will play in Cincinnati) (Rockers)
-Orlando (Predators) NAL
-Oregon (will play in Salem) (Steel, Fire Dragons, Thunder)
-Philadelphia (Soul)
-San Antonio (Talons or Gunslingers) NAL
-Tallahassee (Bobcats)
-Tennessee (will play in Nashville) (Kats)
-Washington (will play in Everett)
-West Texas (will play in Odessa) (Warhawks) NAL

So it looks like the rest of the NAL teams that haven't gone bust, minus Jacksonville and Carolina, could be the first teams coming into the league. I don't like the idea of the team in Nashville going by Tennessee instead of Nashville, but the Kats could be returning. Cincinnati getting the Ohio team instead of Cleveland or Columbus is a bit of a surprise, Nationwide and Rocket Fieldhouse may have been too expensive. Austin and San Antonio having another local rivalry is a smart move. I wonder if this means the San Antonio team stays at Freeman Coliseum, or moves one building over to the AT&T Center. The other option, which I don't think we'd see, is the Alamodome where the Talons played when they were active. I also wonder if this means a return to Talons, or do they keep Gunslingers, but get an updated logo. I tend to think it would be the former, but you never know. If they go with the names from previous teams for everyone, I hope Boise changes up their logos. That thing is late 90's/early 2000's kids energy drink levels of ugly.

Boise Burn Logo Primary Logo (2007-2009) -  SportsLogos.Net

https://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_league/20/Arena_Football_League/Arena_FL/logos/

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

16 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.tmz.com/2023/07/18/arena-football-league-afl-team-locations-revealed-philadelphia-chicago/

The Arena Football League is just months away from relaunching, and now we know the locations the sixteen AFL organizations will call home -- a mix of preexisting markets and brand-new teams.

-Austin (Wranglers)
-Boise (Burn)
-California (will play in Bakersfield)
-Chicago (Rush)
-Colorado (will play in Denver) (Crush)
-Minnesota (will play in St. Paul) (Fighting Pike)
-Louisiana (will play in Lake Charles)
-Ohio (will play in Cincinnati) (Rockers)
-Orlando (Predators) NAL
-Oregon (will play in Salem) (Steel, Fire Dragons, Thunder)
-Philadelphia (Soul)
-San Antonio (Talons or Gunslingers) NAL
-Tallahassee (Bobcats)
-Tennessee (will play in Nashville) (Kats)
-Washington (will play in Everett)
-West Texas (will play in Odessa) (Warhawks) NAL

So it looks like the rest of the NAL teams that haven't gone bust, minus Jacksonville and Carolina, could be the first teams coming into the league. I don't like the idea of the team in Nashville going by Tennessee instead of Nashville, but the Kats could be returning. Cincinnati getting the Ohio team instead of Cleveland or Columbus is a bit of a surprise, Nationwide and Rocket Fieldhouse may have been too expensive. Austin and San Antonio having another local rivalry is a smart move. I wonder if this means the San Antonio team stays at Freeman Coliseum, or moves one building over to the AT&T Center. The other option, which I don't think we'd see, is the Alamodome where the Talons played when they were active. I also wonder if this means a return to Talons, or do they keep Gunslingers, but get an updated logo. I tend to think it would be the former, but you never know. If they go with the names from previous teams for everyone, I hope Boise changes up their logos. That thing is late 90's/early 2000's kids energy drink levels of ugly.

Boise Burn Logo Primary Logo (2007-2009) -  SportsLogos.Net

https://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_league/20/Arena_Football_League/Arena_FL/logos/

It was San Antonio, but the AFL official Twitter says St. Louis.  

• Meh 1

30 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The Orlando Predators and West Texas Warbirds have left the NAL for the AFL.  

I figured that was what was coming up since I saw the city names. I wonder what's holding Jacksonville from jumping as well?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I figured that was what was coming up since I saw the city names. I wonder what's holding Jacksonville from jumping as well?

One of the Sharks Owners, Rob Storm probably didn't want to leave and he's reportedly highly influential in the NAL.

Salem? There's no arena big enough in that area for a team... and I'm just speculating here, but I think they might be frozen out of the Portland area with all the other sports going on.

7 hours ago, LMU said:

SALEM?!

This is the biggest arena in Salem.

https://goo.gl/maps/cemQjwFNVdDc7zaPA

And they couldn't do anything better for a state bursting at the seams with arenas than Bakersfield?  Unless they're waiting a year for the Intuit Dome to open this is just sad.

Hello! Lifelong Salem resident here… The Salem Armory is not the biggest arena in Salem, and it barely fits the Salem Capitals of The Basketball League. That building only has seats on three sides, with a stage across from the main seating area.

The Armory sits adjacent to the Oregon State Fair Expo Center, which houses The Pavilion, a facility with a floor plan that can accommodate an AFL field. The ceiling is so low, however, that I think kickoffs and FG attempts would be a concern.

Beyond having a functional facility, there is nobody in Salem stepping up and announcing they are bringing in a team. My first guess would be Eugene, second Portland. At the end of the day, the list of cities getting franchises looks about a realistic as some of the concept league lists we see on the boards here.

• Like 1

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

10 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Salem? There's no arena big enough in that area for a team... and I'm just speculating here, but I think they might be frozen out of the Portland area with all the other sports going on.

It’s an arena league team, they don’t need that pig of an arena. The small arena size might help 

1 hour ago, dont care said:

It’s an arena league team, they don’t need that big of an arena. The small arena size might help 

They need arenas larger than 3,500 though. The biggest area in Salem also has the issue of a low ceiling, so that becomes and issue as well.  I think another thing that needs to be considered is how does it look on TV? If the cameras are at two low and angle it will not be great to watch unless you're at the stadium. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, dont care said:

It’s an arena league team

The AFL had always been referred to as "the Arena league".  But now there is another league separate from the AFL that is going by the name "the Arena League".

I'm no I.P. lawyer, but it seems to me that that new league is intentionally fostering — no pun intended on the name of AFL founder Jim Foster — confusion, and is trying to benefit from the AFL's name recognition (such as it is).

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

They need arenas larger than 3,500 though. The biggest area in Salem also has the issue of a low ceiling, so that becomes and issue as well.  I think another thing that needs to be considered is how does it look on TV? If the cameras are at two low and angle it will not be great to watch unless you're at the stadium. 

Do arena teams really draw larger crowds then that?