Arena Football News & Updates

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see how this league expects to return when the names that are most closely associated with it (Arizona Rattlers, Iowa Barnstormers, Orlando Predators) are now playing in other leagues.

Unless the AFL intends to revive the Tampa Bay Storm, the Albany Firebirds, and the San Jose SaberCats, it cannot have name recognition of even a fraction of what it formerly had, or near what the other leagues currently have. We can be pretty sure that the latter two teams are not happening, as Albany until a few weeks ago had a team in the NAL (until that team was kicked out on account of Antonio Brown's knuckleheadedness), and San Jose currently has a team in the IFL (led by former SaberCat head coach Darren Arbet). I have heard nothing about plans regarding Tampa Bay.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

14 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I don't see how this league expects to return when the names that are most closely associated with it (Arizona Rattlers, Iowa Barnstormers, Orlando Predators) are now playing in other leagues.

Unless the AFL intends to revive the Tampa Bay Storm, the Albany Firebirds, and the San Jose SaberCats, it cannot have name recognition of even a fraction of what it formerly had, or near what the other leagues currently have. We can be pretty sure that the latter two teams are not happening, as Albany until a few weeks ago had a team in the NAL (until that team was kicked out on account of Antonio Brown's knuckleheadedness), and San Jose currently has a team in the IFL (led by former SaberCat head coach Darren Arbet). I have heard nothing about plans regarding Tampa Bay.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the Arena Football League as something with such rich history that its success or failure depends on keeping some of its old teams. Certainly, I recognize the Arizona Rattlers, San Jose SabreCats and Philadelphia Soul as being some of the league's franchises, but so many have come and gone over time with the league's various iterations that starting from scratch really seems inconsequential to me. 

• Like 1

Ive heard about a major shakeup in the indoor football landscape this offseason, including a possible merger of the IFL and CIF. With the NAL down to 5 teams and the AFL, Arena League (the one with the Ozark Lunkers and Waterloo Woo) and the AIF also restarting, next year could be very interesting.

Signature intentionally left blank

21 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

The Philadelphia Soul are the team I most associate with the AFL

For me it's the San Jose Sabercats, Iowa Barnstormers, LA Avengers, Tampa Storm and Orlando Predators

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

4 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

For me it's the San Jose Sabercats, Iowa Barnstormers, LA Avengers, Tampa Storm and Orlando Predators

Detroit Drive, Tampa Bay and Arizona Rattlers here

EDIT: already mentioned...nvm.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

For me, the late 90s until the NBC contract started was peak AFL. There was the 'big 4' and 'little 4'.

Tampa Bay Storm

Orlando Predators

Arizona Rattlers

San Jose SaberCats

And the little four were:

Iowa Barnstormers

Albany Firebirds

Grand Rapids Rampage

Nashville Kats

The Rampage were the 5th oldest team still playing in the league when they bounced during the first stoppage, behind the Big 4.

The NBC deal ruined so much of the AFL. But it was the aim for David Baker getting the NFL involved. It was always about that, and it kinda ruined the league, and the sport. Getting rid of Ironman, creating the penalty for forward motion stops, etc. The league almost immediately started losing field goals. Even on 4th and 20 from your own 5, you went for it. Because the goal wasn't to score more than your opponent, it was to  have the ball on the last drive because almost every drive now was a score. "Stops" became the key indicator of success.

In 1996, the average game had 88 points. Though 50 or 60 points were common for one team, it wasn't regular. 2003 was the second year the average game had over 100 points. By 2008, the average ballooned to 111. AFL 2.0 reversed the trend, going from 111 in 2010 to 86 by 2019.

But aside from the game itself, the NBC deal killed the AFL because it stopped caring about tried and true and successful, though small, markets and insisted on placing teams in major markets under the helm of NFL backed owners.

Three of the 'Little 4' left for bigger cities. Albany moved to Indianapolis. Iowa moved to Long Island. Nashville moved to Atlanta. New York had possibly the best player at the time (set the record for most points in a game at 99), but never created a big enough fan base to survive.

Indiana did modestly. Had fun rivalries with Grand Rapids and Chicago. But by then the league as a whole was suffering and the teams didn't see any increase in revenue from the NBC deal that led to its end and the league's overall demise the first time around.

5 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

For me, the late 90s until the NBC contract started was peak AFL. There was the 'big 4' and 'little 4'.

Tampa Bay Storm

Orlando Predators

Arizona Rattlers

San Jose SaberCats

And the little four were:

Iowa Barnstormers

Albany Firebirds

Grand Rapids Rampage

Nashville Kats

The Rampage were the 5th oldest team still playing in the league when they bounced during the first stoppage, behind the Big 4.

The NBC deal ruined so much of the AFL. But it was the aim for David Baker getting the NFL involved. It was always about that, and it kinda ruined the league, and the sport. Getting rid of Ironman, creating the penalty for forward motion stops, etc. The league almost immediately started losing field goals. Even on 4th and 20 from your own 5, you went for it. Because the goal wasn't to score more than your opponent, it was to  have the ball on the last drive because almost every drive now was a score. "Stops" became the key indicator of success.

In 1996, the average game had 88 points. Though 50 or 60 points were common for one team, it wasn't regular. 2003 was the second year the average game had over 100 points. By 2008, the average ballooned to 111. AFL 2.0 reversed the trend, going from 111 in 2010 to 86 by 2019.

But aside from the game itself, the NBC deal killed the AFL because it stopped caring about tried and true and successful, though small, markets and insisted on placing teams in major markets under the helm of NFL backed owners.

Three of the 'Little 4' left for bigger cities. Albany moved to Indianapolis. Iowa moved to Long Island. Nashville moved to Atlanta. New York had possibly the best player at the time (set the record for most points in a game at 99), but never created a big enough fan base to survive.

Indiana did modestly. Had fun rivalries with Grand Rapids and Chicago. But by then the league as a whole was suffering and the teams didn't see any increase in revenue from the NBC deal that led to its end and the league's overall demise the first time around.

David Baker is the perfect example of failing upward by being the President of the Pro Football Hall of Fame for 6 years after the AFL.  

• Like 2