Arena Football News & Updates

11 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Billings Outlaws from CIF to AFL.  Also, the AFL will have a "Game of the Week" on a major network.  

Ah yes, Billings, one of the sixteen announced AFL markets, clear as day.

As for the "Game of the Week* on a "major network," I hope CBS Sports Network demands the cash up front for the brokering agreement.

• Like 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 2 weeks later...

As soon as I saw that post announcing the launch of the Topeka Tropics, I ran a search on the website of the United States Patent and Trademark Office for "Flint Tropics" trademark registrations.  What I saw was that (a) every US federal registration to date of the full logo, and the only US federal registration to date of the wordmark, for the Flint Tropics as used in the movie Semi-Pro has expired, and (b) only one US federal registration of the phrase "Flint Tropics" (without an associated wordmark or logo) is currently active, and it belongs to someone with an address in the People's Republic of China.

To make a long story short, I think that this upcoming Topeka Tropics team is a prime example of how "Just because you can do something does not mean that you should do it."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dilbert said:

They've already been around for 2 seasons.

On one hand, I feel very embarrassed that I had assumed that the Topeka Tropics were a completely new team and not just another entry on the long list of professional indoor football teams that have jumped or are jumping from one league to another.

On the other hand, the Tropics' current situation helps to illustrate my longstanding doubts about the basic economic viability of professional indoor tackle football in general.

• A professional indoor tackle football team's opportunities for revenue are limited by (a) tackle football's violent nature and the resulting need to play no more than one game per week (and, therefore, play less frequently than an ice hockey team or especially a basketball team); (b) the fact that an indoor venue built mainly for basketball and/or ice hockey tends to have a noticeably smaller footprint, and thus noticeably fewer potential spaces for ticket buyers, than a stadium (whether outdoor or indoor) that is built around a full-size gridiron football field; and (c) an arena-size gridiron football field's tendency to take up slightly more space than an NHL-specification hockey rink, which, in turn, requires any given arena to have slightly fewer seats for indoor football than for hockey (and definitely fewer seats for indoor football than for basketball).
  • To make matters worse for a professional indoor tackle football team, the cost of running such an enterprise is heightened by (a) the need for a larger roster of players and a larger coaching staff than what an ice hockey team or especially a basketball team requires and (b) the rather obvious need for each player on a tackle football team to wear a uniform that is essentially as elaborate and as complex as an ice hockey player's uniform ... and certainly more elaborate and more complex than a basketball player's uniform.

All of these factors make me wonder if professional indoor gridiron football would be, in general, a more lucrative sport -- and would have wealthier and longer-lasting teams and at least one wealthier, longer-lasting, and definitely more stable league -- if all of those leagues and teams switched to flag football.  Maybe then, the sport would have a low enough physical impact on its players to let each team play multiple games -- and thus enjoy multiple chances to make money -- in each week of a given season.  At the very least, a shift to flag football would enable players on indoor pro teams to wear simpler and, therefore, more affordable uniforms.

2 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

All of these factors make me wonder if professional indoor gridiron football would be, in general, a more lucrative sport -- and would have wealthier and longer-lasting teams and at least one wealthier, longer-lasting, and definitely more stable league -- if all of those leagues and teams switched to flag football.  Maybe then, the sport would have a low enough physical impact on its players to let each team play multiple games -- and thus enjoy multiple chances to make money -- in each week of a given season. 

It's true that playing flag football would allow teams to play multiple games every week. However, this would not translate into those teams being more lucrative, because very few people would pay to watch flag football played by unknown athletes. 

The approach of the A7FL, namely, playing without helmets or pads, would certainly reduce the violence inherent in football as a contact sport, while still being somewhat interesting to watch.  But whether this could be translated to the indoor/arena game, with the rock-hard low-budget carpets, is another story. Also, this probably wouldn't satisfy your goal of allowing teams to play more than once a week.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Several notes from the gathering:

- 20 teams, including the remaining teams from the CIF.  

- Every game will be televised nationally.

- Owners will be diverse, from female to overseas.  

Do they have 20 owners? Do they have 20 arenas?

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Several notes from the gathering:

- 20 teams, including the remaining teams from the CIF.  

- Every game will be televised nationally.

- Owners will be diverse, from female to overseas.  

It's fitting that a scam league is going to play at an arena with the naming rights belonging to a scam. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1