NFL on DVD

I recently purchased the "Seattle Seahawks: Road to Super Bowl 48" Bluray. (A little late for a Seahawks fan I know lol) What I like about it is that it has both the Seahawks' playoff games and Super Bowl 48. But it got me to thinking, why aren't there more broadcast games on DVD and Bluray?

Like for example, say I want to watch a 1987 game between the Miami Dolphins and the Washington Redskins. How exactly do you watch something like that? Do you contact NBC? Can you even find it on YouTube? Did someone save the VHS recording they made after watching it? How, as a fan, can you gain access to watching that particular game? Or say you're a guy who washed out of the league in 2002, and you want the games from when you played. Do you contact the NFL? Your team? CBS, Fox, ESPN?

Why don't teams, or the NFL, release full seasons on DVD or Bluray or, at very least, streaming? Why can't you buy a Bluray box set of the 1977 Cincinnati Bengals or the 2012 San Francisco 49ers? I know for almost all the teams you can do 100% the entire history, but I'm certain it would be both feasible and profitable to find these games and start making them available for purchase. 

23 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I recently purchased the "Seattle Seahawks: Road to Super Bowl 48" Bluray. (A little late for a Seahawks fan I know lol) What I like about it is that it has both the Seahawks' playoff games and Super Bowl 48. But it got me to thinking, why aren't there more broadcast games on DVD and Bluray?

Like for example, say I want to watch a 1987 game between the Miami Dolphins and the Washington Redskins. How exactly do you watch something like that? Do you contact NBC? Can you even find it on YouTube? Did someone save the VHS recording they made after watching it? How, as a fan, can you gain access to watching that particular game? Or say you're a guy who washed out of the league in 2002, and you want the games from when you played. Do you contact the NFL? Your team? CBS, Fox, ESPN?

Why don't teams, or the NFL, release full seasons on DVD or Bluray or, at very least, streaming? Why can't you buy a Bluray box set of the 1977 Cincinnati Bengals or the 2012 San Francisco 49ers? I know for almost all the teams you can do 100% the entire history, but I'm certain it would be both feasible and profitable to find these games and start making them available for purchase. 

its a little from column a and column b with games being on DVD.  i think its because some of the older games were not saved (or the master tape is in a bad condition) and the rights from the rights holder of the broadcast.  i have a few games from the Australian Football League (on VHS*) without the commercials.  if the NFL would to put the games out on DVD/Bluray they would need to take out the commercials.  

*in NTSC (as they used Pal at the time).  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

10 minutes ago, dont care said:

I’m sure NFL Films has them all. I’m not sure who to contact but it’s probably wouldn’t take too much searching and google to find a way to purchase copies of old games.

Full games are typically not available for purchase from NFL Films.

Unfortunately most full game prints, as you see them on TV, are not available from NFL Films or from any other source. However we have released a limited amount of entire games through our Greatest Games series. To see what teams have released a greatest games series click here to view available titles. If you do not find the game you are looking for there then it is not available to the public at this time. Keep checking the site as new releases are added all the time.

9 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I know for almost all the teams you can do 100% the entire history, but I'm certain it would be both feasible and profitable to find these games and start making them available for purchase. 

No chance. Show me one team where you can do this. Outside of the Houston Texans and new Cleveland Browns, I don't think it is possible.

It's where I sit.

I stumbled across a cut of an FCS playoff game between Georgia Southern and Old Dominion on Youtube where it was no commercials and just the plays (none of the standing around for timeouts and such) and it was fantastic. I would love if the NFL (and college football teams/conferences) would make something like that available at the end of the year.

57 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

No chance. Show me one team where you can do this. Outside of the Houston Texans and new Cleveland Browns, I don't think it is possible.

Panthers, Jaguars, Seahawks, Buccaneers? My thought is that pre-1970 games would be the most difficult to find. After the NFL-AFL merger, I would imagine it would be much easier to get those games. 

8 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Panthers, Jaguars, Seahawks, Buccaneers? My thought is that pre-1970 games would be the most difficult to find. After the NFL-AFL merger, I would imagine it would be much easier to get those games. 

Yeah - again, show me a team that offers this. You said "I know for almost all the teams you can do 100% the entire history". You just listed 4 teams on top of my two. Not close to most, and nothing showing that it is offered.

It's where I sit.

16 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Yeah - again, show me a team that offers this. You said "I know for almost all the teams you can do 100% the entire history". You just listed 4 teams on top of my two. Not close to most, and nothing showing that it is offered.

I don't think I understand your point. Sure they're not going to have footage of the 1920 Akron pros, but I'm reasonably sure that you can perhaps get most of the Cincinnati Bengals games on there.

The point I'm making is that the NFL has the ability to release many, many seasons for all 32 teams and yet they choose not to. Only select games are available on DVD. Like I said, I have the Seahawks playoff and Super Bowl games from 2013, but why not the regular season games? Why was that not included? My 2005 DVD includes only the highlights of their season and not the actual games. So what gives? 

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I don't think I understand your point. Sure they're not going to have footage of the 1920 Akron pros, but I'm reasonably sure that you can perhaps get most of the Cincinnati Bengals games on there.

The point I'm making is that the NFL has the ability to release many, many seasons for all 32 teams and yet they choose not to. Only select games are available on DVD. Like I said, I have the Seahawks playoff and Super Bowl games from 2013, but why not the regular season games? Why was that not included? My 2005 DVD includes only the highlights of their season and not the actual games. So what gives? 

It’s all about supply and demand. There simply isn’t a demand produce them. The costs would be too high to ever make a profit because you can’t benefit from the economies of scale. Also more content being out there for the general public to purchase also means more effort needs to be put into ensuring they don’t get put on any unauthorized media like YouTube/streaming sites.

4 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

When a broad statement is made that to me appears completely false, I am likely to comment when I see it.

With that said, you said that nearly all teams have their video history of games available for purchase (I am paraphrasing, not quoting). I disagree that many, have that available.  Please show me one, or your entire premise is shot, thus likely explaining the answer to your question (i.e., it isn't possible to do), or, it is financially unfeasible ad dont care stated, in which case you also have an explanation for your question. 

EDIT 

"I know for almost all the teams you can do 100% the entire history". 

but I'm reasonably sure that you can perhaps get most of the Cincinnati Bengals games on there.

------------

Do you not see the massive flip flop here?

It's where I sit.

On 6/5/2019 at 4:28 PM, dfwabel said:

Who owns the old games? The NFL or the networks?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Shame. The commercials are often the best part. I want to see local car TV ads and old beer commercials from 1992.

Wherefore Spuds McKenzie?

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I know there's a sports radio host in Dallas who has every Packer game since 1986 when his family first got a VCR and has digitized them starting in 2005.  He also has NBA Finals from 1987 until 1998 and the Final Fours in that span. I think he only digitized the wins, but has every game on VHS since he parents who still live in Sun Prairie, WI. He's lived in Dallas since 1999 and has every Cowboys game digitized too. 

13 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Who owns the old games? The NFL or the networks?

13 hours ago, dfwabel said:

My understanding is that they both do.

The networks produced the telecasts, they paid the on-air talent, they own the broadcast.  But they can’t sell the broadcasts because the game play itself is owned by the NFL.   Similarly, the NFL can’t sell the broadcasts because although it owns the underlying game footage, it doesn’t own any of the production itself.

When games are offered for sale, it’s because the league and network have reached a specific licensing agreement.  And they’re both getting paid for it.  Which is worth it for specific games, championship games and other notable games, but obviously isn’t worth it for your average Week 14 1981 matchups between teams eliminated from the playoffs.

On 6/5/2019 at 6:14 PM, dont care said:

I’m sure NFL Films has them all. I’m not sure who to contact but it’s probably wouldn’t take too much searching and google to find a way to purchase copies of old games.

I'm sure this is the case as well. Heck, they were able to present a colorized version of the 1959 Championship. The NFL is very stingy with it's content, much more than any other league out there. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The WWE has shown the way on how to archive and stream their old content. It's way easier for them since they have full ownership of their archives, but there's at least a model there.

The NBA also has a ton of old games. Not as much as you'd want, but a ton nonetheless.

17 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The WWE has shown the way on how to archive and stream their old content. It's way easier for them since they have full ownership of their archives, but there's at least a model there.

The NBA also has a ton of old games. Not as much as you'd want, but a ton nonetheless.

I'd love a streaming service that was similar to WWEN, where I could select a team, then a year, and get a full menu of games to watch.  I"m not sure how much I'd pay for it since I might watch the occasional game that popped into my head or for some reason I've heard referenced lately, and I'd probably only watch the Eagles, but it'd be a great platform.

Now if they came up with that and put live games on there, we're talking serious $ (at least until American football goes away.)  Obviously they cannot provide such a service - at least not in the US - but it'd be pretty amazing, and as you've pointed out, the perfect model / interface is already in production.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived