Watford FC to get (or vote on) new logo

agentrygraphics

On 6/16/2019 at 12:45 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

I think we all know that North American hornets are teal and purple :P

Ha! Though the hornets and wasps in Southwestern US do have red and are particularly nasty if you're not careful. 

Loving these potential new Watford logos though. 

spacer.png

On 6/14/2019 at 3:23 PM, MJWalker45 said:

The Revolution?

I don’t even think that’s as bad as Watford... plus it has a 90s-esque nostalgia to it that can at least be appreciated ironically

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

2 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

I don’t even think that’s as bad as Watford... plus it has a 90s-esque nostalgia to it that can at least be appreciated ironically

No, that logo was ugly in 1996 and it's still ugly today. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

I appreciate it because I know that a professional artist was paid real American currency to design that trash and it gives me hope that I can be successful despite having marginal talent 

sig_gai.png

warriorbannerssmall.png

On 6/14/2019 at 9:28 AM, TenaciousG said:

RIP to the worst logo in major professional sports. I’m so happy.

Oh, come on. That's not even remotely BAD. Although, the hart in the current badge should have a little more detail.

Still, I'm sure you'll come across other logos who are just as bad as, if not worst than, Watford's.

26 minutes ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

My question is if there is a way that can accomadate both of them in one badge.

Something like this, perhaps?

WGJE6d6.png

It's a very quick mockup, so it's far from perfect. Still? I think the framing device of the hart's antlers is a perfect opportunity to work a hornet in.

18 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

WGJE6d6.png

It's a very quick mockup, so it's far from perfect. Still? I think the framing device of the hart's antlers is a perfect opportunity to work a hornet in.

Make the hornet a little more vertical rather than horizontal to fill in the space a bit better

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 6/18/2019 at 7:09 AM, TenaciousG said:

I absolutely prefer the Revs logo to the faux-european stuff that's so in vogue with whoever's been branding MLS franchises (Inter Miami???)

On 6/18/2019 at 8:32 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Make the hornet a little more vertical rather than horizontal to fill in the space a bit better

I wasn’t presenting that as a serious proposal. More a proof of concept. That you can put a hornet between the hart’s antlers and have it work. Obviously a mashup like I posted isn’t going to be the best application of that design, but I feel it proves the base concept has merit. 

On 6/19/2019 at 10:29 AM, fbjim said:

I absolutely prefer the Revs logo to the faux-european stuff that's so in vogue with whoever's been branding MLS franchises (Inter Miami???)

Can we have one soccer/football thread where we don’t have the “MLS going Euro” debate? 

This isn't even a MLS team! 

18 hours ago, flyersfan said:

have the voting options been shown yet? if not, when would we see them?

The contest just opened up last week, so I imagine by the end of July we'll see something. I think the crest will take effect for the 2020/2021 season.

Also something to keep in mind - from how I understood it, a panel of season ticket holders will narrow the field down, then the season ticket holders/members will vote. The current badge will be included as a voting option to keep (I doubt that it stays, though).

I believe when I read the rules for submissions, it said that any concepts MUST embody "hornets"...so unless someone can mix a Hart and a Hornet to coexist in a way pleasing to the eye...the club wants to move away from the Hart/Deer imagery. (Which is a shame)

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I’m sorry, but has anyone here actually looked at this logo?

spacer.png

-The unnecessary thick outline and pentagonal border that a child could draw in ms paint

-The also unnecessary “capital” W in Watford when all the other letters are already capitalized 

-The ugly moose

-The weird black/yellow split

-The way the colors somehow look uglier together, even though red/yellow/black can look decent if used right

This is absolute trash. It’s like a bad fan concept. Any professional designer could create something better.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 6/14/2019 at 9:52 PM, Scrumptious Ham said:

I wonder if they are open to a badge with both. Might be tough to do. Clutter would be an issue.

I don’t think clutter would be an issue as many teams feature crests with small details.

On 6/18/2019 at 5:46 PM, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Watford is nicknamed the 'Hornets'. Yet a hart appears in the logo as a tribute to Hedfordshire.

My question is if there is a way that can accomadate both of them in one badge.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:13 PM, Ice_Cap said:

WGJE6d6.png

I agree. Both the hornet and the hart should in one badge. this concept logo looks great and makes sense to the team and the city.

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

• 4 weeks later...

The first batch of finalists are in! I'll post them shortly.

**EDIT** - I don't believe they are the true finalists that footyheadlines.com posted. 

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Archived