2019 NCAA Football Thread

Tracy Jordan

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a crash during Oklahoma's game Saturday, the Sooner Schooner is expected to return in the future but not this season, senior associate athletic director Kenny Mossman told The Daily in a statement Tuesday.

"We will repair the damaged Schooner and its future use will be for static display," Mossman said in the statement. "It is possible that it will be back at a game this season, but it will not run. We also are in the process of having a new Schooner constructed. There is no timetable yet for when it will be ready. I would anticipate having it in time for the spring game."

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-football-sooner-schooner-will-not-run-rest-of-season/article_a6f313ce-f52a-11e9-b6e4-2be4e6b45ad0.html/

Rumors swirling about Willie Taggart and FSU saying the school has been speaking with donors about raising the money for his $17 million buyout.  Also part of the rumor is that FSU would target Urban Meyer, which seems like something of a pipe dream.  For one, I think Urban Meyer would be hesitant because of his history with Florida -- on top of that, the program is a trainwreck right now and I can't see him tackling a rebuild, especially with the USC job possibly coming open.  Finally, and maybe most importantly, the program is strapped for cash.  They're already trying to scrape together the funding for a new $60 million football facility, add to that having to buy out Taggart and his staff, and it's hard to imagine they could afford Urban Meyer.  But I don't know.  The school has denied the rumors.

IUe6Hvh.png

15 hours ago, dfwabel said:

LSU/Alabama will be a day game for the first time since 2010.

With Alabama as the home team, the SEC can get away with a daytime kickoff for the game this year.  On the other hand, I cannot think of any college or university whose football fanbase is as dominated by people who demand that their favorite team play as many nighttime home games as possible as seems to be the case at LSU.

On 10/23/2019 at 1:27 AM, Walk-Off said:

With Alabama as the home team, the SEC can get away with a daytime kickoff for the game this year.  On the other hand, I cannot think of any college or university whose football fanbase is as dominated by people who demand that their favorite team play as many nighttime home games as possible as seems to be the case at LSU.

Saturday Night in Tiger Stadium is not a demand or a preference, it's a TRADITION, for Pete's sake. 

LSU was one of the first college stadiums to even HAVE lights, and played their first home night game in October 1931. This actually predates the formation of the SEC by a year. 

Night games were instituted for two main reasons:

1.) It was a way (particularly in early season games) of dealing with the heat and humidity of south Louisiana; and,

2.)  with fall being harvest time for many south Louisiana crops (notably sugar cane) rural folks could do their work during the day and either come watch or listen to the game over the radio at night.

TV is the ONLY reason that  LSU day games are even played at all.  Up until the NCAA court defeat regarding TV packages in the early 1980s, night games in Tiger Stadium were not a preference, they were a GIVEN.  I literally cannot remember a daytime home game being played in the 70s.  The first home DAY games I remember were sporadic 'big' televised ones when I was in school in  the mid-80s: FSU and Bama in '83, and Notre Dame in '85. 

With LSU's success over the last 20 years, and the contractual obligations from SEC TV contracts with CBS/ESPN/SEC Network, home day games have unfortunately become more prevalent, much to the chagrin of fans like myself.

It is what it is.

10 hours ago, See Red said:

Rumors swirling about Willie Taggart and FSU saying the school has been speaking with donors about raising the money for his $17 million buyout.  Also part of the rumor is that FSU would target Urban Meyer, which seems like something of a pipe dream.  For one, I think Urban Meyer would be hesitant because of his history with Florida -- on top of that, the program is a trainwreck right now and I can't see him tackling a rebuild, especially with the USC job possibly coming open.  Finally, and maybe most importantly, the program is strapped for cash.  They're already trying to scrape together the funding for a new $60 million football facility, add to that having to buy out Taggart and his staff, and it's hard to imagine they could afford Urban Meyer.  But I don't know.  The school has denied the rumors.

Isn't the money flow issues the reason they "privatized" their athletics department?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

24 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Isn't the money flow issues the reason they "privatized" their athletics department?

Seminole Football was losing, this their small deficit over the last few seasons.

The Seminole Boosters Inc., the fundraisers, were not under the athletics department and acted independently.  They have their own debt too, as Seminole Boosters has partnered with a private developer for a student housing complex, two blocks from campus and owe over $170M in bonds.  Their head of the boosters has been in charge since 1975 and only had to answer to "St. Bobby and Miss Ann", but is poised to retire in the next years..  It is a bizarre situation to take since both the AD and main fundraiser are at retirement age as they new auxiliary is being formed and merged. 

11 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Seminole Football was losing, this their small deficit over the last few seasons.

The Seminole Boosters Inc., the fundraisers, were not under the athletics department and acted independently.  They have their own debt too, as Seminole Boosters has partnered with a private developer for a student housing complex, two blocks from campus and owe over $170M in bonds.  Their head of the boosters has been in charge since 1975 and only had to answer to "St. Bobby and Miss Ann", but is poised to retire in the next years..  It is a bizarre situation to take since both the AD and main fundraiser are at retirement age as they new auxiliary is being formed and merged. 

OK, i remembered reading something about the possibility boosters could use the new corporation to hide expenses that a school could not.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

OK, i remembered reading something about the possibility boosters could use the new corporation to hide expenses that a school could not.

No.  In fact, in 2014, the Boosters comptroller was caught and sent to prison for money laundering and theft.  

I think you are referring to that the new athletic department is shielded from state public records laws.

1 minute ago, dfwabel said:

No.  In fact, in 2014, the Boosters comptroller was caught and sent to prison for money laundering and theft.  

I think you are referring to that the new athletic department is shielded from state public records laws.

Yup! That's it!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 10/23/2019 at 9:56 AM, dont care said:

Farmers work on saturdays? Also LSU is the only school that plays in hot humid temperatures? Florida never mandated night games in fact they thrived on playing in the Florida heat. Same goes for any Florida/ Deep South school.

Are you being difficult just to be difficult?

1. Of course, farmers/planters/landowners (as well as commercial shrimpers and fishermen, and anyone else who makes their living via the land or sea) must work on Saturdays when required.  When a crop is ready, it's ready, and there is a limited time to get the crop in.  Especially back in those days when there wasn't as much specialized mechanization and it took longer to get large amounts of crops in. 
  2. No, Florida never had a tradition of night games like LSU, but Florida only "thrived on playing in the Florida heat" after UF professors invented Gatorade in the 1960s.  Look up their records and you'll see.  The only bowls they went to before then were the nearby Gator Bowl (four times in the 1950s and early 60s) and they never won an SEC championship until 1984 (and even that was vacated due to NCAA infractions).
  3. I think you may not know your levels of southern heat and humidity as well as you think you do.  While Ben Hill Griffin Stadium may colloquially be called "The Swamp",  topographically it is located in the Central Florida Highlands and Florida Field lies at a pleasant elevation of 134 feet.  Tiger Stadium, on the other hand, is located at the juncture of the Lower Mississippi Alluvial Plain and the Gulf Coastal Plain.  Its field level is only 25 feet above sea level, the Mississippi River is less than 3/4 mile  away, and the the stadium is less than 5 miles from the massive Atchafalaya Basin swamp. I've been to both places, and believe me-- Tiger Stadium is by far the more sticky, humid-hot place of the two.
  4. And for comparison sake, on other "Deep South" SEC schools, Williams-Brice is 199' el,  Bryant-Denny is 224' el, Davis-Wade is at 362' el,  Vaught-Hemingway is at 482' el,  Sanford is at 611' el, and Jordan-Hare is at 642' el.   "Hot" on a sunny southern September Saturday?  Sure.  But 99 degrees and 99% humidity hot?  Hell, no.

I explained WHY the night time game tradition for Tiger Stadium -- which is almost 90 years old--  came about.  Those reasons for night games were valid then, may not be as relevant now, but the fact of the matter is it is now a TRADITION that fans have been used to for years and years.  It's something we are used to and prefer-- a whole day of preparation, partying and tailgating before a great game at night.

And tradition is a good thing usually worth fighting for and keeping.  Another LSU tradition was wearing white at home.  In the early 1980s, the NCAA changed uniform rules from home choice to mandating that all teams had to wear dark at home; thus seemingly ending our tradition.  But in 1995, new LSU coach Gerry DiNardo , as part of his focus to "Bring Back the Magic" to Saturday Night in Tiger Stadium, petitioned the NCAA to loosen their rules on dark jerseys at home, which they did (and then further loosened further over time) thus successfully allowing the return of another LSU tradition. 

It is what it is.

Archived