2019 NCAA Football Thread

Tracy Jordan

Just now, willmorris said:

Tell you what. How about we expand to a 16 team playoff, with the ten conference champions, and say the six best conference runners-up? Would still be fair, given any team in any of the ten conferences could win all their games and be guaranteed a shot at the national title.

College football is about bad ideas. Please take this somewhere else.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, See Red said:

Nope. LSU, Bama, Georgia, odd-year Auburn, and Florida should get penalized for being in a conference together while at least two of the other P5 conferences are mostly trash.  A one-loss Clemson should be eliminated. Everyone in the Pac 12 right now should be eliminated. If Texas wins the Big XII, what sense would it make to put them in over a one-loss LSU team that beat them?

A conference title should trump a loss, unless they have multiple losses. 11-2 Georgia should never be considered over an unbeaten G5 or a 1 loss P5 team with titles.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

A conference title should trump a loss, unless they have multiple losses. 11-2 Georgia should never be considered over an unbeaten G5 or a 1 loss P5 team with titles.

The best team Clemson plays all season is maybe the 7th best team in the SEC.  The Pac-12 is a pile of trash.  If it comes down to two-loss Georgia or one-loss Clemson or the Pac-12 winner... it should 100% be two-loss Georgia.  I just threw up in my mouth a little.

edit: Looking into it further, I take that back, Georgia's schedule probably shouldn't get them in with two losses in that situation.  But let's say one-loss Georgia that doesn't play for the SEC Championship.

IUe6Hvh.png

Oh good, we're doing "SEC = Best" stuff again. Remember that when SEC teams win, bowl games are important, but if they lose then they didn't even want to be there in the first place and the game was totally meaningless. The cycle never ends.

15 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Oh good, we're doing "SEC = Best" stuff again. Remember that when SEC teams win, bowl games are important, but if they lose then they didn't even want to be there in the first place and the game was totally meaningless. The cycle never ends.

I don't necessarily think that's true (I think Ohio State is the best team and Wisconsin can play with anybody, for instance), but Florida plays three teams that are in the top 10 in SP+.  If Florida and Clemson both finish with one loss (and Florida's one loss is, say, a close loss to Georgia), there's no way Clemson should get in just because they play in and were able to win a conference that's objectively terrible.  Coming into this week, the second highest ranked team in the ACC according to SP+ is Miami... who Florida also beat.

IUe6Hvh.png

Georgia State, San José State, and Wyoming have wins at SEC teams.

Somehow a 3-2 TAMU team is still ranked with two wins versus Texas State (2-3 with a GA State win) and Lamar (2-3). The Gators have wins against FBS UT-Martin and Towson. 

Granted, South Florida is FBS terrible this season, so Wisconsin might be penalized, but it "just means more" to pay and pad your record with two FCS games.

7 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Somehow a 3-2 TAMU team is still ranked with two wins versus Texas State (2-3 with a GA State win) and Lamar (2-3). The Gators have wins against FBS UT-Martin and Towson. 

Granted, South Florida is FBS terrible this season, so Wisconsin might be penalized, but it "just means more" to pay and pad your record with two FCS games.

Well TAMU’s losses were to No.2 Clemson and No. 7 auburn so there losses aren’t that bad because they weren’t suppose to win those games, but they didn’t get blown out like what happens often in college.

30 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611287ec35259a2ff219d

Take it up with Bill Connelly.  Or come up with a better algorithm.

I think Florida's the only one playing two FCS schools, but they've also scheduled two traditional powers out-of-conference and who else has done that?

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Agreed, I'd take a 12-1 Pac-12 champion USC over any team with the same number of wins that isn't a conference champion.

LvZYtbZ.png

1 hour ago, See Red said:

The best team Clemson plays all season is maybe the 7th best team in the SEC.  The Pac-12 is a pile of trash.  If it comes down to two-loss Georgia or one-loss Clemson or the Pac-12 winner... it should 100% be two-loss Georgia.  I just threw up in my mouth a little.

edit: Looking into it further, I take that back, Georgia's schedule probably shouldn't get them in with two losses in that situation.  But let's say one-loss Georgia that doesn't play for the SEC Championship.

If they aren't able to win their division to play for a conference championship, they shouldn't get into the playoffs. That's part of what got us to 4 teams from 2. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

23 minutes ago, See Red said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611287ec35259a2ff219d

Take it up with Bill Connelly.  Or come up with a better algorithm.

I think Florida's the only one playing two FCS schools, but they've also scheduled two traditional powers out-of-conference and who else has done that?

Virginia Tech is too, but they can still only claim one of those for their six wins for bowl eligibility. Florida won't have to worry though. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

21 minutes ago, See Red said:

SMU is ranked for the first time since they were given the death penalty.

I don't think we'll ever see the death penalty again since stuffing their pockets with gobs of cash out ranks human decency in the eyes of the NCAA.

10 hours ago, Wings said:

I don't think we'll ever see the death penalty again since stuffing their pockets with gobs of cash out ranks human decency in the eyes of the NCAA.

The impact of the death penalty on the Southwest Conference and SMU probably helped keep Baylor, North Carolina or Penn State getting slammed.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27767474/school-booted-d-iii-success-gets-fcs-invite

This would be interesting. I wonder if the Golden Gophers would be willing to make them their first game of the year a few years in a row if the waiver is granted. I also hop St. Thomas spanks their soon to be former conference mates as badly as they did last week. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

42 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27767474/school-booted-d-iii-success-gets-fcs-invite

This would be interesting. I wonder if the Golden Gophers would be willing to make them their first game of the year a few years in a row if the waiver is granted. I also hop St. Thomas spanks their soon to be former conference mates as badly as they did last week. 

A few things to note: This move wouldn't happen until 2021 (when the Tommies are going to get the boot from the MIAC for being too good) and the NCAA has to grant their waiver allowing them to jump from Division III to Division I.

This would help the Summit League get football off the ground. They already have five football playing schools (The Dakota schools and Western Illinois). Adding St. Thomas would allow the Summit League to have football at the FCS level.

1 hour ago, See Red said:

Seems like just yesterday people were pretending UCF was on the same level as Alabama and Clemson.

They look like a hot mess right now against Cincy.

Not having an experienced quarterback has cost them both times. It should be interesting to see how they do if Milton comes back next year.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived