2019 NCAA Football Thread

Tracy Jordan

...aaand now, with the game in hand, one iffy targeting call...followed by a "hold my beer" moment.  I'm pretty sure you don't need to show the zebras what an obvious target looks like.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harbaugh has this season plus two more on his seven year contract.  Today's lost makes him 40-15 and honestly, if you've won 70% of your games, why haven't you asked for an extension since all but one or two schools in the Power 5* would be running to your agent to give you one?

He hasn't won as an underdog since taking the job, so he just beats who you expect him to beat and nothing more. 

Most importantly, he's failed to get QB and has relied on Grad Transfers for three of his five seasons, with an inherited Wilton Speight in the other two seasons. 

Also doesn't help that you hire Josh Gattis from Alabama to be your OC and you offered him the gig with neither a face to face conversation nor any interview.  And Gattis never was the playcaller there, Mike Locksley was.

*-Winning 72% of your games will get you fired at Alabama. Ask Bill Curry

So Washington was up 24-12 at half over BYU. I go to watch some of the Lou-FSU game for 5 minutes. I switched back to Wash-BYU game and it’s 38-12!!  Washington. Wtf!!😂 happened ? 

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

Okay, so...whew! Go Noles..we actually came back and won this time!

(The second half) wasn't pretty, and OMIGOD if dejá vu didn't set in once Louisville went ahead on that long strike, but the defense hung in there, and that big pick by Cyrus Fagan was absolutely the turning point. The boys hung on, tightened up and showed some resilience today. I'm a happy guy. (Especially since I got to watch the game while up here in South Dakota.)

That said, Willie and Co. have got to take a hard look at the QB spot. Even if Slim Jimmy is cleared to return, from what I saw of Alex Hornibrook, he was much steadier and his experience definitely showed...I saw the difference in command the second he went in. Left to me I'd leave him in there just based off what I saw--but that ain't my decision.

Whatever--we won. I'll enjoy this for the next 14 hours.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

14 minutes ago, See Red said:

I think we all did.

It's nice knowing I don't have to hear about UCF and the playoff all freakin' year.

Boise State has to have a loss.  They are @BYU and @Utah State.  The rest might be chalk.  

But the amount of hits their Frosh QB is taking, I'm not sure he will make it to game 9.

Neutral field, UCF beats Boise by two scores.

1 hour ago, Buc said:

That said, Willie and Co. have got to take a hard look at the QB spot. Even if Slim Jimmy is cleared to return, from what I saw of Alex Hornibrook, he was much steadier and his experience definitely showed...I saw the difference in command the second he went in. Left to me I'd leave him in there just based off what I saw--but that ain't my decision.

It's strange, seeing a Power 5 school with a normally better QB rep than UW (granted, there are MAC schools who are better at attracting QBs than the Badgers normally are, so not exactly a high bar to clear) whose QB situation is iffy enough that Hornibrook manages to be an upgrade🤯

I think I'm finally convinced that Jack Coan won't screw this up.  The Michigan hurdle was cleared, now on to hoping no weird crap happens in the Northwestern game...wait, after them's Sparty.  Yeah, some pie in the sky crap's gonna happen in the Michigan State game because it always seems to.

2016cubscreamsig.png

7 minutes ago, Discrimihater said:

It's strange, seeing a Power 5 school with a normally better QB rep than UW (granted, there are MAC schools who are better at attracting QBs than the Badgers normally are, so not exactly a high bar to clear) whose QB situation is iffy enough that Hornibrook manages to be an upgrade🤯

James Blackman is a better QB than Hornibrook. FSU was leading 21-7 before the Blackman injury

Both has the same amount of time to take in the Briles offense and Alex lost the job.

2 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

James Blackman is a better QB than Hornibrook

Both has the same amount of time to take in the Briles offense and Alex lost the job.

Yeah, I was surprised back when I'd learned he'd transferred to FSU, of all places.  About the only P5 schools I would've favored him to win the starting job would've been somewhere like Kansas or Vandy.

2016cubscreamsig.png

12 hours ago, dfwabel said:

James Blackman is a better QB than Hornibrook. FSU was leading 21-7 before the Blackman injury

As with all things involving the word "better", that's subjective, especially without some defined parameters.

In this case, the two went virtually neck and neck in camp once Hornibrook made it to Tallahassee...the deciding factor was basically the fact that the team responded to Blackman just a little more than Hornibrook (which is understandable considering Hornibrook was the new guy in the fold and the rest of the guys had been together a year or two if not more). On the field, however, is where all that really plays out, and Blackman has been wildly inconsistent all season.  Where Hornibrook makes the difference, or at least made the difference today, is when plays break down...he was much better at getting out of trouble and making something happen, or at least not taking an unnecessary sack by waiting around too long. (Blackman despite his lankiness is really not much of a runner--then again being that tall at barely 190 could you blame him?) I saw Hornibrook make at least three throws, one being that last TD strike, I don't believe Blackman would have made. Not saying Blackman couldn't have made the throw--there's a difference between would and could here--but the ability to make the throw is only as good as the decisiveness to make the throw, which is only as good as one's ability to recognize the situation and respond accordingly without doing something dumb, and in hairy situations today, Hornibrook performed much better than Blackman. Now one game does not a season make, but it does make a sufficient sample size from which to analyze.

And as far as being up 21-whatever at the half, that ain't even worth bringing up, as that's been our story this entire season and we saw how until today that's turned out. There's a lot I can say about that (like how conspiracy me believes Taggart brought in Jim Leavitt only to save Harlon Barnett from looking even worse than he already does despite the fact that Mickey Andrews is also still on staff), but I'll save that for another time. Right now I'm gonna enjoy this W for the last ten hours of freedom I have. 😁

12 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

Granted, JimBob may be a lot of things, and did a lot to torpedo the program on his way out the door, but the man has had a knack for developing QBs, so that in many ways, at least in recent years, can be attributed to him.

That said, y'all will always have Russell Wilson (who himself, as I'm sure you remember, was a transfer, to Wisconsin) to fall back on, so there's that. 😁

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived