2019 NCAA Football Thread

Tracy Jordan

So um...yeah.  That went about the way I expected. (I'm seriously not playing...I had a feeling Boise State would find a way to squeak it out.)  I am in no way surprised about this, at all.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, dont care said:

So who tried telling me willie taggart is a good head coach, and this year would be different because it would now be his team?

10 minutes ago, Buc said:

So um...yeah.  That went about the way I expected. (I'm seriously not playing...I had a feeling Boise State would find a way to squeak it out.)  I am in no way surprised about this, at all.

Even with the start of the ACC Network, apparently the money isn't there to fire Taggart.  They'll need a booster savior to write two big checks.  One for Taggart and another for the next guy's search. 

Plus, Jimbo screwed them bigly...their APR is HBCU low and the lowest in the FBS.  That was a bare bones roster which only had two dudes drafted in the 2018 NFL Draft. 

Florida State head coach Willie Taggart did not take over at the helm in Tallahassee until December 5, 2017. So the 2017 fall semester was all but in the books. Taggart then had 15 days before 2017’s Early Signing Period to salvage a Seminole class left largely unattended by what had become a lame-duck staff under Jimbo Fisher. At the same time, Taggart had to hire a staff of his own.

And the obvious chaos brought about by an entire regime change in the coaching ranks is further exacerbated by player turnover, which hurts a program’s APR, even if that player was in good academic standing. And player attrition is often higher than normal when changing out a staff— for good reason. Those players were recruited by a different staff with their own goals and methodologies. It’s not necessarily anyone’s fault when a player transfers out after a coaching change— sometimes the fit just isn’t there anymore.

Taggart and company needed badly to flip a poor culture at Florida State, one that let accountability fall by the wayside for both coaches and players. Scant repercussions awaited players who skipped classes under Fisher, and players are creatures of habit. But it’s unfair and unrealistic to expect Taggart and his staff to have suddenly reconstructed FSU’s broken culture immediately upon taking over. However, if they can’t turn things around, the NCAA, unlike the Fisher regime, will enforce consequences.

What are the results of not making the 930 minimum APR? Here are the details from the NCAA:

The first penalty level limits teams to 16 hours of practice per week over five days (as opposed to 20 over six days), with the lost four hours to be replaced with academic activities.

A second level adds additional practice and competition reductions, either in the traditional or non-championship season, to the first-level penalties. The third level, where teams could remain until their rate improves, includes a menu of possible penalties, including coaching suspensions, financial aid reductions and restricted NCAA membership. The Division I Committee on Academics, which oversees Division I’s academic infrastructure, has the discretion to apply appropriate penalties once teams have fallen below the benchmark for three consecutive years.

While postseason bans are commonly applied as a penalty in the NCAA enforcement process, they are not considered as a penalty for poor academic performance. Instead, the requirement that teams achieve a minimum APR is simply a benchmark for participation in championships. Just as teams must win in competition to be eligible for championships, they must also achieve in the classroom.

5 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Somebody forgot to tell Georgia State that Tennessee was much better then they are as the Panthers stunned the Vols in Knoxville.

But are they? 

This Florida fan is having a really good day.

IUe6Hvh.png

2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Somebody forgot to tell Georgia State that Tennessee was much better then they are as the Panthers stunned the Vols in Knoxville.

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

It just means more!

I need something to help me feel just a little bit better today, so...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I was pulling for Auburn solely based on Oregon's ridiculously BLAH uniforms. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I liked how Florida State was back for part of a game.

On 8/31/2019 at 8:43 PM, Buc said:

I need something to help me feel just a little bit better today, so...

Western Kentucky lost this game. Also, Willie Taggart was the coach. It all comes full circle!

23 hours ago, hbgoo1975 said:

I just heard that JT Daniels got injured and carted off the field. They were doing so well until they let Fresno State got closer. Looks like they will blow this game after all. 

Daniels out for the season with torn ACL, meniscus. 

Nice of Willie Taggart first, then starting center Baveon Johnson to claim that lack of conditioning and hydration as a reason for their loss to Boise State.

The Strength Coach, who has been with you since USF and you knew him at WKU when you were an assistant under Jack Harbaugh!

Meanwhile, the FSU offense was 1-12 on 3rd Down Conversions.  And defensively allowed Boise to convert 10-19 3rd Downs themselves.  Convert a 3rd Down or stop them once and your defense won't be out there for 108 plays!

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Nice of Willie Taggart first, then starting center Baveon Johnson to claim that lack of conditioning and hydration as a reason for their loss to Boise State.

The Strength Coach, who has been with you since USF and you knew him at WKU when you were an assistant under Jack Harbaugh!

Meanwhile, the FSU offense was 1-12 on 3rd Down Conversions.  And defensively allowed Boise to convert 10-19 3rd Downs themselves.  Convert a 3rd Down or stop them once and your defense won't be out there for 108 plays!

It's worth noting the S&C coach is the same Willie had at Oregon, where three players were hospitalized with rhabdomyolysis due to excessively grueling workouts.

One of the biggest criticisms of Taggart is his inability to make adjustments at halftime and that was well on display. 

IUe6Hvh.png

Last week, Hugh Freeze made his NCAA coaching return with Liberty, but a staph infection following back surgery had him coaching from a hospital bed brought in to the Press Box for their home game vs. Syracuse.

But for tomorrow's game at Louisiana, their press box cannot accommodate such a bed, so Liberty bought a $5.000 "medical chair" to be put in the Press Box.

A Liberty spokesman told Yahoo Sports on Friday that bedridden football coach Hugh Freeze does plan to make the trip to Louisiana for the Flames' game Saturday, and that the school has purchased what it calls a "medical chair" for him to use in the press box. A source with knowledge of the situation had previously characterized the chair as a dental chair.

"We're not calling it a dental chair," Todd Whetmore said. "It's a medical chair that allows him to be elevated."

Whetmore said the chair is being flown to Louisiana and installed in the press box Friday.

Just stay home, dude. Maybe there are some nice ladies he met in Lafayette during his two seasons in the Sun Belt.

Have any of ya'll watched a game on Facebook? Apparently that's how I have to watch the A-State game tomorrow night. College football is stupid.

Archived