MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

11 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Yes, but I'm not sure if the state paid for it. I was just listing Orlando examples that I know.

Believe the Miami Dolphins stadium reno was wholly privately funded (and, of course, turned it into a strictly football (and soccer) park).

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Just now, Digby said:

Believe the Miami Dolphins stadium reno was wholly privately funded (and, of course, turned it into a strictly football (and soccer) park).

Public funds were given to Ross, conditional upon events coming to the stadium. Not wholly privately funded. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

This does not need to happen.  They already have the NHL, the NFL is coming and they are going after an MLS team.  Vegas doesn't need to go from 0 pro teams in 2015 to potentially 4 by 2021. 

While need is subjective, I see it working. Vegas is an always populated city. The locals there are huge sports fans and would be no less support than the Ray's or A's or Marlins get currently. Couple that with the tourism aspect and the influx weekly of new people, could easily make up the rest of a capacity for the stadium to sell out.

(While in the A's case I feel like they have a great fan base, coliseum is a dump and that :censored:ty neighborhood probably scares away people from the games. Also it seems that city of oakland doesn't care about sports anymore, politically speaking.)

5 minutes ago, Wings said:

Montreal Rays

Portland A's

Nashville Marlins

Las Vegas Diamondbacks

Long Beach Angels

I think that even if they move to Long Beach, the Angels would prefer to keep Los Angeles, but we'll see. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

While need is subjective, I see it working. Vegas is an always populated city. The locals there are huge sports fans and would be no less support than the Ray's or A's or Marlins get currently. Couple that with the tourism aspect and the influx weekly of new people, could easily make up the rest of a capacity for the stadium to sell out.

(While in the A's case I feel like they have a great fan base, coliseum is a dump and that :censored:ty neighborhood probably scares away people from the games. Also it seems that city of oakland doesn't care about sports anymore, politically speaking.)

My issue is that Las Vegas is getting three major league teams too fast.  I live in Dallas, a much bigger city than Las Vegas and it took 20 years for Dallas to get three teams. 

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

I think that even if they move to Long Beach, the Angels would prefer to keep Los Angeles, but we'll see. 

Morano would definitely want to keep LA in the name. If I was the county I'd force him to change it to OC Angels at the very least. (They should still be Anaheim, Anaheim is sure as hell not LA)

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

My issue is that Las Vegas is getting three major league teams too fast.  I live in Dallas, a much bigger city than Las Vegas and it took 20 years for Dallas to get three teams. 

Different time period no? Since 1980 DFW had 3 teams then the 4th Stars came in 94ish right? While I take that into consideration, I dont include MLS as one of the 4 even though its popularity is gaining. I just think the allure of spending a week in vegas and catching a couple games, or even catching my team on a road trip is not just of my own. 

29 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Don't the Angels and Diamondbacks have stadium issues themselves?  I am thinking that the Angels will at least remain in the Los Angeles area. 

The Angels have been discussing a new park, but hardly a stadium issue.  The D'backs, like Atlanta seems like they want a new park just to have a new park.  Their park is only what, 20 years old?  Again, hardly a stadium issue to the degree of Oakland and Tampa.

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The Angels have been discussing a new park, but hardly a stadium issue.  The D'backs, like Atlanta seems like they want a new park just to have a new park.  Their park is only what, 20 years old?  Again, hardly a stadium issue to the degree of Oakland and Tampa.

It seems like the D-Backs want what the Cardinals have: a shiny new house to play in.

18 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

... it took 20 years for Dallas to get three teams. 

Technically speaking, it took Dallas seven years to get three teams.

Dallas Cowboys / National Football League / 1960-present
Dallas Chaparrals / American Basketball Association / 1967-1970, 1971-1973
Dallas Tornado / United Soccer Association-North American Soccer League / 1967-1981

You really shouldn't dismiss the Chaparrals and Tornado. The Chaps spent 5 campaigns (six, when you count their 1970-71 season split between Dallas, Fort Worth, and Lubbock) in a league that lasted 9 seasons and forced a merger with the NBA. As for the Tornado, they played 15 seasons competing at what was the top tier of professional soccer in the United States and Canada at the time.

We now return you to discussion of Major League Baseball's asinine Tampa Bay-Montréal 2-city "solution", already in progress.   

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Technically speaking, it took Dallas seven years to get three teams.

Dallas Cowboys / National Football League / 1960-present
Dallas Chaparrals / American Basketball Association / 1967-1970, 1971-1973
Dallas Tornado / United Soccer Association-North American Soccer League / 1967-1981

You really shouldn't dismiss the Chaparrals and Tornado. The Chaps spent 5 campaigns (six, when you count their 1970-71 season split between Dallas, Fort Worth, and Lubbock) in a league that lasted 9 seasons and forced a merger with the NBA. As for the Tornado, they played 15 seasons competing at what was the top tier of professional soccer in the United States and Canada at the time.  

I meant NFL (Cowboys in 1960), MLB (Rangers in 1972) and NBA (Mavericks in 1980) among the leagues still around today.  Plus the Stars didn't arrive until 1993 and FC Dallas didn't arrive until 1996.

i love the idea. i cant think of a bolder idea for a single team in sports history. this would be absolutley wild and im hoping they actually pull it off. 

but, theres a lot of logistics to work out. i mean, theres 200+ employees that work for franchises and it makes it all the harder when you’re in 2 different countries. where is home? is the business going to be split in 2? are employees going to travel as well? will they be paying employees in 2 different countries? the taxes and healthcare differences, it all sounds like an absolute HR nightmare...but its one hell of an exciting story

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

5 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i love the idea. i cant think of a bolder idea for a single team in sports history. this would be absolutley wild and im hoping they actually pull it off. 

but, theres a lot of logistics to work out. i mean, theres 200+ employees that work for franchises and it makes it all the harder when you’re in 2 different countries. where is home? is the business going to be split in 2? are employees going to travel as well? will they be paying employees in 2 different countries? the taxes and healthcare differences, it all sounds like an absolute HR nightmare...but its one hell of an exciting story

It sounds like a fast path to a contraction draft and players walking out on the team. It’s an insult to both the Tampa Bay Area and Montréal. 

Anybody who who thinks this is a good idea needs a few punches from Viachezlav Datsik. Heck, even Datsik would say it’s a terrible idea, and I’m pretty sure he has like two brain cells left after his MMA career and time in Russian prison. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

Why would anyone in Tampa go to a game after this? This will either end with a stadium in Tampa, or the Rays moving to Montreal full time.

I’m sure that’s the plan. They want attendance in Tampa Bay to plummet, while Montreal’s will be high because they got their team back, even if for just half a season. Ownership then uses those attendance numbers to justify a full move to Montreal, claiming that they “gave Tampa a chance”.

• Like 6

ExJworW.png

As ridiculous as this whole thing is, I'm super excited to see how this works out. We could see a successful split team for the first time in like 40-ish years, or (the much more likely scenario), the team crashes and burns, ruins any goodwill Tampa had left regarding the team, maybe Montreal as well, then relocates to either Montreal, Charlotte, or Portland. Wonderful!

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt