MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

2 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Is there a reason Tampa Bay won't let the team out of it's lease?

What exactly are they getting out of keeping a team that barely makes any money?

because then they would lose out on 10s of millions of dollars?  Sometimes the obvious answer is the correct one.

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Is there a reason Tampa Bay won't let the team out of it's lease?

What exactly are they getting out of keeping a team that barely makes any money?

Where are you getting that they "barely make any money"? Even with the second worst attendance in the league, they are still getting tons of money from TV contracts and sponsorships.

• Like 4

ExJworW.png

10 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Where are you getting that they "barely make any money"? Even with the second worst attendance in the league, they are still getting tons of money from TV contracts and sponsorships.

Completely forgot about TV deal, Merch, etc. I just assumed with such bad attendance they weren't making that much to begin with. 

20 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Yes. This isn’t the St. Louis Browns or the Boston Braves, where you had serious concerns about making payroll.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Completely forgot about TV deal, Merch, etc. I just assumed with such bad attendance they weren't making that much to begin with. 

Their "new" local TV deal, which is in reality a 15-year extension of the current contract starts this year went from $35M/year to $50M for 2019 and will reportedly average $82M over the contract.

And they also get a piece of the national deals, plus a MLB revenue sharing distribution check.

• Like 3

We know that NFL teams have their entire payroll completely covered by shared revenues.  Obviously, MLB revenues vary more than the NFL, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if MLB clubs were in a similar position.  All but maybe the very highest spending team or two. 

That’s before the first ticket is sold.  No major-league sports team loses money.  Ever.  Not even the bad ones or the poorly-supported ones.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

We know that NFL teams have their entire player payroll completely covered by shared revenues.  I wouldn’t be at all surprised if MLB clubs were in a similar position.

That’s before the first ticket is sold.  No major-league sports team loses money.  Ever.  Not even the bad ones or the poorly-supported ones.

In 2017, the Rays (reportedly) had $205M in revenues and a player payroll of $70M, or about 35% of revenues. That was tied at 4th lowest percentage of revenues.

• Like 2

I love Quebec, Montreal, the Expos, and the elb, but this is preposterous. Its inevitable failure will only make people rag on Montreal baseball even more than they already do.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/21/2019 at 2:06 PM, McCarthy said:

Everyone in Tampa younger than 30 is a Lightning fan? What's the difference between them and the Rays? The Lightning play in a nice and accessible building.

Also, the Lightning have successfully gamed hockey players' aversions to media pressure and income taxes to build a team that both retains and further acquires elite talent without exceeding players' market value to do so. The Rays enjoy the same advantages but trade their players away as soon as they even threaten to earn market value -- largely because they don't make any money, which in turn is largely because they don't have a nice and accessible building.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

they don't make any money, which in turn is largely because they don't have a nice and accessible building.

Well, that is what they say, but it is far from certain.

I suspect we may never know, since I think relocation outside of the Tampa Bay area is somewhat more likely than relocation within it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

I love Quebec, Montreal, the Expos, and the elb, but this is preposterous. Its inevitable failure will only make people rag on Montreal baseball even more than they already do.

What? Every 5 posts on this thread, the one talking about branding, and any other time the Rays come up is “just move the team for good already”.

ExJworW.png

This forum doesn’t represent the opinions of anyone outside of its members when it comes to any topic. My anecdotal evidence from “average Joe” is that the expos were a joke that played in a lousy-crumbling stadium. “Average Joe” doesn’t realize that they moved to DC. 

That doesn’t  necessarily represent the majority either.  

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm curious...has anyone here been to MLB games both at the Metrodome and the Trop?  If so, is one appreciably worse than the other?

I, of course, have been to many games at the Metrodome.  But I've never had the "pleasure" of going to the Trop.  The Metrodome was just so sterile...I've been to 30 MLB parks (counting defunct; the Metrodome is the only full-time dome I've been to) and it's the worst one by far.  Not sure whether the Trop is as bad, but it cannot be that much better.

That all said, the Twins did draw well at the Dome when the team was doing well.  The Rays don't even seem to draw during good times.  As far as I can tell, there are two key possibilities: 1) The interest in baseball / the local club is just not there or 2) the location is really that difference-making.  The Metrodome had one thing going for it; its downtown location.  But I question whether it's a good idea to bank on location / dumpy park are the problem, to the tune of, say $1 billion (and at least half public).

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I'm curious...has anyone here been to MLB games both at the Metrodome and the Trop?  If so, is one appreciably worse than the other?

I, of course, have been to many games at the Metrodome.  But I've never had the "pleasure" of going to the Trop.  The Metrodome was just so sterile...I've been to 30 MLB parks (counting defunct; the Metrodome is the only full-time dome I've been to) and it's the worst one by far.  Not sure whether the Trop is as bad, but it cannot be that much better.

That all said, the Twins did draw well at the Dome when the team was doing well.  The Rays don't even seem to draw during good times.  As far as I can tell, there are two key possibilities: 1) The interest in baseball / the local club is just not there or 2) the location is really that difference-making.  The Metrodome had one thing going for it; its downtown location.  But I question whether it's a good idea to bank on location / dumpy park are the problem, to the tune of, say $1 billion (and at least half public).

I have.  Originally, The Trop was designed as Kaufman Stadium (before its1997 renovation) but with a dome.  I don't think it was really completed until the mid-2000'.  Metrodome seemed more cramped on the concourse to me and lots of bare concrete

5 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

The interest is definitely there. The Rays consistently get high TV ratings, and I always see a bunch of people with Rays shirts or hats on.

I'd say it's a mix of terrible location, terrible stadium in general, and (for most of their history) terrible team. Many still think of the Rays as a bottom of the table team, one not worth paying as much as they charge to see - even in seasons like this, where they aren't bad.

• Like 1

ExJworW.png

I last went to Tropicana Field in 2010ish. It looks like the bastard child of a stadium, warehouse, and an early 90s cut-rate office building if it were possible for them to procreate. The main rotunda meant to evoke Ebbets Field looks more like something you see in a dying mall. Different areas of the concourse had their own “character” which ranged from sterile concrete to drop ceilings to Joe DiMaggio in comic book form. The trimmings on the scoreboard reminded me of a cheap baseball-theme carnival funhouse. The lights inside are low so you have a constant glare. The turf looked poorly maintained and had a weird shine. I think they still had the orange leaf gradient on the walls/catwalks which evoked Rainforest Cafe.

The banners in the rafters and the museum were cool though. We set in right field a few rows in front of former Marlins GM Larry Beinfest and his kids. The Marlins infield dropped an infield pop-up and when we turned around he did that thing where he knew you were looking at him but didn’t want to make eye contact.

• Like 1

1997 | 2003

The old Progressive Boink had a fantastic write-up of Tropicana Field's weirdness (your mention of the Joe DiMaggio comic book hero jogged my memory), but I think you need to scrape through the Wayback Machine to find it now.

EDIT: so I did

• Like 4

17 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Press conference Tuesday the 25th at 1pm eastern about the Rays.  Assumingly to clear the air about this Montreal stuff.

It'll be interesting to see what Sternberg has to say today. Hopefully, someone will remind him of his promise.

May 2007: Principal owner Stuart Sternberg clarified comments in a The New York Times story, saying there is no deadline for a new ballpark and he will stick to his promise to never demand one. When Sternberg took over the team in October 2005 he pledged he would never demand a new stadium, and Tuesday he reiterated that promise. "Absolutely,'' he said. "I was extra clear a year and a half ago, and nothing has changed.''

never adverb

nev·er | \ ˈne-vər \

Definition of never

1: not ever : at no time

2: not in any degree : not under any condition

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."