MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

After reading Bronfman's statements, I wonder if he/his group were told that they'd be given a team one way or another if they play along with this joke for the time being?  I can't believe that they've put in all this work to bring baseball back to Montreal to settle for a ridiculous team sharing plan, nor can I believe that they actually think it's a good idea.

• Like 1

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

3 minutes ago, CardsFan79 said:

Thank you Survival79!

You're welcome! Here's an email the team just sent out.

Subject: Tampa Bay Rays Sister City Concept

spacer.png

• Like 1

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

5 minutes ago, mania said:

I'll admit defeat on this one. I remember hearing about high TV ratings, but I guess that was wrong.

ExJworW.png

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The regional Florida team is probably the best solution, though it’s impossible considering what Miami did for the Marlins in exchange for rebranding themselves as “Miami’s team”. 

Miami Marlins in Tampa Bay of Florida

1997 | 2003

7 hours ago, Maroon said:

Considering two people on this page alone used the word "floundering" to describe the Florida franchises and their attendance, how about move the Rays to Montreal and split the Marlins between St. Pete and Miami and call them the Florida Flounders. Heck, have them play a few games in Orlando and they could get licensing rights from Disney for this bad boy to appear in their logo:

flounder14.png

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Like 2

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

8 hours ago, Maroon said:

Considering two people on this page alone used the word "floundering" to describe the Florida franchises and their attendance, how about move the Rays to Montreal and split the Marlins between St. Pete and Miami and call them the Florida Flounders. Heck, have them play a few games in Orlando and they could get licensing rights from Disney for this bad boy to appear in their logo:

flounder14.png

Two or three mid-week series a year in Orlando, Jacksonville, SW Florida and Tampa wouldn’t be a bad idea to build support for the team around the state.

1997 | 2003

OK after reading the article about the Montreal people and the email from the Rays (thanks @Survival79 for posting) I think it's pretty clear that they do not actually intend to split seasons between Montreal and Tampa Bay but they have to act like they do in order to make one of the two cities bite on a stadium.

I would be very interested to see how they reacted if neither city bites by 2027 or whenever and they actually have to go through with this.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Maroon said:

flounder14.png

Stu Sternberg's true identity revealed:

spacer.png

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The regional Florida team is probably the best solution, though it’s impossible considering what Miami did for the Marlins in exchange for rebranding themselves as “Miami’s team”. 

Strangely enough, IF a split shared city team had to happen I could be on board with Tampa Bay and Miami sharing.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Survival79 said:

You're welcome! Here's an email the team just sent out.

Subject: Tampa Bay Rays Sister City Concept

spacer.png

We desperately want the Rays to stay in Tampa Bay*

*Meanwhile, there is no "plan B" of the Rays staying in the Tampa area full time, and we publicly stated we don't believe the Tampa area can support a team.   But yes, please believe us that we want the Rays to stay in Tampa........

• Like 4

On 6/26/2019 at 4:04 PM, CardsFan79 said:

After reading Bronfman's statements, I wonder if he/his group were told that they'd be given a team one way or another if they play along with this joke for the time being?  I can't believe that they've put in all this work to bring baseball back to Montreal to settle for a ridiculous team sharing plan, nor can I believe that they actually think it's a good idea.

That's what I'm thinking... this is far from the end game for them. I'll bet all they have to do is prove Montreal can draw more fans to their crappy stadium than Tampa Bay does to their crappy stadium, and MLB suddenly has all the legitimization they need to move the team north.

14 hours ago, Maroon&Gold said:

https://www.wfla.com/news/rays-offering-2-tickets-for-games-against-orioles/

Looks like $5 tickets aren't cheap enough to get people to actually go to the trop now that Stu pissed everyone off. Maybe he'll cite "lack of money from ticket sales" as another reason to split games/relocate

That’s exactly it. Now that the fanbase is alienated, even less people will show up. He’ll then use quickly dwindling attendance to justify getting out as fast as he can.

Me? I’m taking advantage of those $5 tickets while they last. I’ll go to a few games over the rest of the summer.

• Like 1

ExJworW.png

That might have been the plan the whole time with this split announcement. No real split was ever expected. But the leak may do its job. Now no one wants to go to the games. Giving more legal ammo to break lease. Meanwhile, Montreal is salivating over the news. It's like a new attractive girl at the workplace. Everyone is excited and buzz is thick in the air. Everyone wants to talk to her. Not thinking about how the glitter will fade, and one day she'll just be another annoying coworker.

• Like 1