MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

The idea that this ISN'T a negotiating tactic ("build us a park or else") is crazy.  Not to mention, the league/owners would miss out on an expansion team fee in a "new" city.

I also didn't understand his timeline.  He was saying ideally this would be set up for 2024, but then said they have the lease through 2027 at the Trop, and they're committed to that too, which would mean either they're paying to not play in the Trop, or it's just a 2027 lease for St. Pete the city, not the Trop specifically?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

He claims it won't be a prolonged exit from Tampa

Hello, Mr. Sternberg.
How are you today?
Seems the rumors are abound, your team might move away.
Now, me I'm sentimental, but I'm not one to cry.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

The three Tampa major league teams:

The Bucs: We hope that Bruce Arians can revive Jameis Winston

Lightning: We hope we can make it farther in the Stanley Cup Playoffs next season

Rays: We will split the season between Tampa and Montreal, so we better start learning Quebec French.  

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

That looks like a "roofed" concept.

I agree.  I looked it up on maps, and I don't see how they even can expand it.  He talked about 30,000 fans watching the team, I don't see how that's possible short of closing off streets, and even then it seems iffy at best.

Back around 2008, there were talks to build a stadium at this site.

rays2.jpg

06.jpg

57_cgi-ballpark-shot-_-low-sml.jpg

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Basically they haven't talked to either city, they don't have financing, they don't have a name, they want two new open air ballparks from two cities when they can't get money from one for a single park, 

Sounds like a solid business plan.

• Like 5

DID STERNBERG JUST ADMIT TO VIOLATING HIS CONTRACT WITH ST. PETE?

Several Canadian journalists made the trip down to Tampa Bay, curious about the role MLB-to-Montreal booster Stephen Bronfman would play in the Rays’ proposed new venture.

“Stephen had asked us about relocation (years ago) and I immediately shot that down,” Sternberg said. “He talked about if the team would potentially be for sale; (that) didn’t go any further than about 12 seconds past that as well.”

But Sternberg said the two men “maintained a dialogue” because Bronfman was talking to other MLB owners about expansion.

“At some point, this idea of sharing (the Rays) came up,” Sternberg continued, saying he didn’t remember exactly when they first discussed the idea, but it was “a couple years ago.”

If Sternberg has already discussed playing home games in Montreal prior to 2027, it would be an apparent violation of his contract with St. Petersburg, which requires the Rays to obtain specific permission from the city to have any sort of discussion about playing home games outside of Tropicana Field.

Mayor Rick Kriseman‘s office apparently agreed, confirming Tuesday afternoon the city attorney is now reviewing the video of the press conference, specifically looking to see if Sternberg violated his contract with the city or if any Montreal parties committed tortious interference by trying to lure the team out of its contractual obligations.

According to Kriseman spokesperson Ben Kirby, “The City Attorney’s office has been in contact with the general counsel for the Tampa Bay Rays and received assurances that the Rays will not commence exploration of the shared city concept, or conduct any other activities related to a pre-2028 future stadium site, without an agreement with the City of St. Petersburg. The Rays’ general counsel also confirmed that all conversations related to Montreal were limited to the time period after expiration of the use agreement.”

More at Florida Politics

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Back around 2008, there were talks to build a stadium at this site.

rays2.jpg

06.jpg

57_cgi-ballpark-shot-_-low-sml.jpg

Oh yeah, seeing the other views, I do remember that plan.  Didn't realize it was that same location.  I was also taking his "renovating/expanding" Al Lang Stadium at face value, though.  That proposal would necessitate tearing what's there down and starting over.  That said, any sort of major league ballpark would require getting rid of Bayshore Drive like that plan shows, as there's no room otherwise.

DF7y4qF.jpgrays2.jpg

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Didn’t need Montreal.  The Rays bring that all on their own. 😁

Tampa Bay definitely shouldn’t be counted out for crazy. Remember how the Yakuza owned the Lightning for some time? How about the various infamous moments in the Bucs’ history? Stadium for Rent certainly didn’t shy away from the OITGDNHL-level shenanigans involved the baseball pursuit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Tampa Bay definitely shouldn’t be counted out for crazy. Remember how the Yakuza owned the Lightning for some time? How about the various infamous moments in the Bucs’ history? Stadium for Rent certainly didn’t shy away from the OITGDNHL-level shenanigans involved the baseball pursuit.

It's the humidity. It drives people to do crazy things.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

It's the humidity. It drives people to do crazy things.

I blame Abudadein’s machinations. He used a Bostonian carpetbagger (that term gets thrown around A LOT with Stu) to bring his devilish machinations to Florida!

5044276410_93aa4a5925_b.jpg

Florida Championship Wrestling was a fairly overlooked-yet-influential territory, BTW.

• Like 2

This has all been so cosmically stupid, if Sternberg keeps it up, we won't be able to say OITGDNHL around here anymore.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

14 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I blame Abudadein’s machinations. He used a Bostonian carpetbagger (that term gets thrown around A LOT with Stu) to bring his devilish machinations to Florida!

5044276410_93aa4a5925_b.jpg

Florida Championship Wrestling was a fairly overlooked-yet-influential territory, BTW.

We chewed a lot of Betel Nut and Cosmic Cookies!

• Like 1