Jump to content

Oakland Athletics Wheel of Relocation


the_fan
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I think all that speaks to why I've always had such a soft spot for Oakland teams: it's basically a hard-done-by Midwestern city but on the Pacific Ocean. You could be writing similar stuff about Chicago or Detroit.

It also reminds me of Jersey City, a decent sized, historically working class city overshadowed by its brother across the river/bay (NYC, SF), and their downtowns are rapidly gentrifying because of said proximity to main city.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Wasn't Jersey City's gentrification a direct result of 9/11? I believe a lot of WTC tenants wound up moving over the river.

From what I read, the roots were planted in the 80s, but yes starting in the 2000s it really took off because of the WTC tenants moving across the Hudson. And of course location location location.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While the A's moving wouldn't be ideal, my money's on Portland if it does happen. I think the A's identity fits really well there, and it provides Seattle another PNW AL team so they don't have such a bad schedule (though two Texas teams is what really does the damage). I think Vegas would be incredibly short-sighted (as I believe the Raiders moving there is) and would harm the A's and MLB in the long run. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well one thing is for sure. I’d be more willing to accept an A’s move to Portland than I would :censored:ing Vegas again. 

 

 

Leaving the Bay Area for goddamn Vegas just in general is nuts. It’s such a massive downgrade in so many ways. Portland is at least a cool city. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t ever see it coming any closer to reality than this (especially with Portland and Las Vegas our there), but a few MLB fans in Utah have started the hashtag #MLBtoSLC and one local graphic designer made a quick mock-up of what the “Salt Lake Athletics” would look like:

 

And for the fun of it, he also made a mock-up of the “Salt Lake A’zz.” His thoughts—and those who responded to him—are exactly as you would think:

 

Again, I don’t ever see it happening, but fun to think about nonetheless.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2019 at 2:02 PM, dont care said:

Sacramento wouldn’t create an anti A’s sentiment like moving the chargers to LA?

Oakland's basically the West Coast version of St. Paul, so their blood feud's with San Francisco.  A pity the Giants won't give up San Jose, but Sacramento would likely be much better received than Vegas at this point.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

I don’t ever see it coming any closer to reality than this (especially with Portland and Las Vegas our there), but a few MLB fans in Utah have started the hashtag #MLBtoSLC and one local graphic designer made a quick mock-up of what the “Salt Lake Athletics” would look like:

 

And for the fun of it, he also made a mock-up of the “Salt Lake A’zz.” His thoughts—and those who responded to him—are exactly as you would think:

 

Again, I don’t ever see it happening, but fun to think about nonetheless.

As much as I both hate minor league clones and love preserving the Salt Lake City Bees?

 

I'd love to see this, even as a minor league As takeover.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

While the A's moving wouldn't be ideal, my money's on Portland if it does happen. I think the A's identity fits really well there, and it provides Seattle another PNW AL team so they don't have such a bad schedule (though two Texas teams is what really does the damage). I think Vegas would be incredibly short-sighted (as I believe the Raiders moving there is) and would harm the A's and MLB in the long run. 

 

Agreed. Again, while it'd be better for the A's to just stay put, Portland would already work well with the Green/Yellow scheme I think, and the AL West is where a Portland team would belong anyhow. IF the A's were ever to relocate, Portland really should be the choice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/10/2019 at 10:36 PM, Bucfan56 said:

Well one thing is for sure. I’d be more willing to accept an A’s move to Portland than I would :censored:ing Vegas again. 

 

 

Leaving the Bay Area for goddamn Vegas just in general is nuts. It’s such a massive downgrade in so many ways. Portland is at least a cool city. 


Just because you personally believe it’s not a cool city doesn’t make it objective fact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Camden Crazy said:


Just because you personally believe it’s not a cool city doesn’t make it objective fact.

 

1). It isn't a cool city. 

2). It is an objective fact.

3). Those are both beside the point anyway because that's not even the issue. The SF Bay Area is just objectively a better area for, well, just about everything. 

4). Vegas is running out of natural resources, such as clean drinking water, and growing at alarmingly unsustainable levels. Within 50 years, Vegas will basically be the setting for Mad Max: Fury Road. Raiders will still probably be there, though. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

 

1). It isn't a cool city. 

2). It is an objective fact.

3). Those are both beside the point anyway because that's not even the issue. The SF Bay Area is just objectively a better area for, well, just about everything. 

4). Vegas is running out of natural resources, such as clean drinking water, and growing at alarmingly unsustainable levels. Within 50 years, Vegas will basically be the setting for Mad Max: Fury Road. Raiders will still probably be there, though. 

 

Except for cost of living. Sorry, I like the idea of living in my own place and not living in a pod for the same price I'm renting my apartment in downtown Kansas City for plus parking.

 

Seriously, there is no way that can be safe. Especially in such an earthquake-prone area.

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

I'd rather live in a trash can in the Bay Area than a mansion in America's Biggest Mistake of a City ©

 

Whatever floats your boat, Oscar.

 

Still, respect for sticking to your guns.

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

If I was a Mariners fan, I’d want the A’s to move to Portland. That would really help their awful travel schedule. 

 

I could be wrong, but I've always been under the impression that the Mariners would like to have Portland as their "territory", if you will. It's a slight bit of a stretch to defend, considering the cities are nearly 200 miles apart, but that entire area is rather isolated from the rest of the country. I don't think the Mariners would embrace another team in that area as much as they would consider them infringing on their market. 

 

I'm not sure how much the Mariners could do to prevent a team from moving to Portland (As the claims of Portland being within their market seem dubious, at best), but I don't think they would be as happy as you assume. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve seen how ridiculous the Mariners’ travel schedule is compared to the rest of MLB, which prompted me to make that observation.
 

Besides, building a Seattle-Portland rivalry will ultimately make the Mariners more money in the long run, so their potential objections just come across as short-sighted (a phrase one could use for an organization that hasn’t made the playoffs since 2001). 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.