3 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Yes. The removal of the fabric roof began in July, and the removal of the metal structure for the roof was to begin this fall. The stadium isnt scheduled to reopen until at least 2027.

I cant believe Montreal is paying 750 million dollars for a roof on a 48 year old stadium with no primary tenants.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Man, if this hurricane had happened last year aka before the new stadium deal got done, how many people would be thinking that this was some sort of trick to get a deal done? Like ownership somehow weakened the integrity of the roof to ensure damage....the theories would be flying. 

to "ensure damage"... and put actual human lives, the number of which they'd have no way of knowing, at risk?

Yeah... the theories would be flying... and we know that the "Trop Truthers" would be perfectly sane reasonable people.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why engineer a whole conspiracy requiring Florida Men to sabotage the roof without telling anyone when you could just be lazy and cheap and see where 35 years' worth of continuous UV radiation take you? 

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In non-Florida stadium news, opponents of the Sixers arena are now claiming that the increased congestion will cause people to die because ambulances can't get to the big hospital that's near there, and some people are claiming (without data) that fans will overwhelm the hospital because they'll be drunk and get injured or have heart attacks.

Nurses were protesting the site yesterday (though I'm skeptical about whether the were actual nurses, or actors hired by Comcast), but the hospital itself has done it's own traffic studies and said it's fine.

We had two Level 1 trauma centers within a few blocks of each other up until one shut down during pandemic, so there's some justifiable concern (except that there's still no data to support the concern), but if anyone that doesn't absolutely have to drive just takes the trains, then this is a non issue.

This whole thing has just made me be more in favor of the proposed tolls for the most congested areas.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, BBTV said:

In non-Florida stadium news, opponents of the Sixers arena are now claiming that the increased congestion will cause people to die because ambulances can't get to the big hospital that's near there, and some people are claiming (without data) that fans will overwhelm the hospital because they'll be drunk and get injured or have heart attacks.

Unserious people love to use this as the basis for complaints. If this was really a problem, we'd have bus/bike lanes everywhere that allow emergency vehicles to pass traffic as needed, and we'd actually punish drivers who weasel into said lanes.

I never understand these people who move to cities and then endlessly panic about basic facets of city living.

• Like 6

It's not an urban environment nor an indoor arena, but my understanding is that the traffic associated with an Arlington Heights stadium would make it really hard to get to our hospital. "Drunk fans will overwhelm the hospital" is gilding the lily but there might be a case for putting a strain on the neighborhood in general.

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

This reminds me of the ads I am starting to see in Florida that are against the amendment to approve marijuana because it smells bad.

It's going to be some Central Florida arrangement. Players want to sleep in their own beds, occasionally even with their wives.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, LMU said:

Meanwhile, the Haslams tell the ‘Land to get bent.

I haven't been following the Browns' stadium situation that closely. Is this all just so that they can host a single Super Bowl and then never host it again? Or is it more of the recent love affair that sports franchises are now having with suburbia?

Also, what an ugly rendering of a stadium. It's got Tesla Cybertruck vibes.

Don't forget the Wrestlemania that'll never happen there.  But they'll get the smaller stadium shows, though I don't know how much revenue those actually generate for the area.

I don't know Cleveland's public transit system, but if this means that the stadium will be somewhere that forces everyone to drive, then F it and F them.  My stance on domes has changed, but much like I think for Chicago, there's certain teams that simply shouldn't have them - or at least have the seats covered but not the field, without it looking like it just has a hole in the roof.

Cleveland, Green Bay, Chicago, Philadelphia, New York (maybe), Pittsburgh, and... I'm probably missing someone, shouldn't have permanent domes, or domes that are BS like Atlanta's.

21 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Cleveland, Green Bay, Chicago, Philadelphia, New York (maybe), Pittsburgh, and... I'm probably missing someone

New England?

Buffalo?

Denver?

It is what it is.