2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

16 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

The striping on the Duck's cup-winning-set was so much more tasteful than the over-wrought side-panels they use now.  I wish they'd just replaced the script with the stand-alone 'D' and (maybe) added more orange to striping...  The logo feels suffocated on the current uniforms.

Agreed.  If they did something like that, maybe make the bottom section from the orange piping down all orange it would have been so much better.  Save for going back to eggplant/jade.

If they used the anniversary jersey as a base you'd need to remove the black and shoulder yoke for me.  If they could basically make the original with some updated striping that could be the ideal route.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, dont care said:

But it was so bland, they looked like knockoff penguins

I don't think they'd be bland with the real logo and what B-Mer suggested... 

7 hours ago, B-mer said:

maybe make the bottom section from the orange piping down all orange it would have been so much better. 

Knockoff Penguins or not, that 'champagne' colour looked worlds better in the 'dazzle' fabric.  Currently, it just looks biege.

I did this a while back as an example (edit of Steven Grant’s mock-up of the D logo on the original edge uniforms.)

Kqh88cd.jpg

if they want to keep the current colors and logos something like this would be ideal.  Although at this point I think going back to the Mighty Duck logo would make this even better and a good blend of eras. 

3 hours ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Only thing Leafs have done right in my life time is their current uniforms.

spacer.png

did they though?

logo for sure. I initially liked the uniforms but now think they should go back to the last set with the current logos. 

23 hours ago, B-mer said:

If they want to keep the current colors and logos something like this would be ideal.  Although at this point I think going back to the Mighty Duck logo would make this even better and a good blend of eras. 

I think regardless of what colour scheme they want to go with, they should be using the Mighty Duck logo. The webbed D is fine as a shoulder patch.

14 hours ago, B-mer said:

spacer.png

did they though?

logo for sure. I initially liked the uniforms but now think they should go back to the last set with the current logos. 

I used to feel that way, but I've come around on their latest set. I like the symmetry of having the sleeve stripes match the socks, while the hem stripe matches the pants. 

9 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Nah fam, 

this is their best look:

leetch_brian.jpg

The TML logo was pretty awful. 

Give me the detailed leaf shoulder patch any day.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

16 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Nah fam, 

this is their best look:

leetch_brian.jpg

Not a fan of the TML logo (doesn't make a lot of sense when your biggest rival uses MTL as their abbreviation), the unnecessary addition of silver, the goofy name font, or the wishbone collars. Next to the initial Edge practice jerseys, this might be their worst look.

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Not a fan of the TML logo (doesn't make a lot of sense when your biggest rival uses MTL as their abbreviation), the unnecessary addition of silver, the goofy name font, or the wishbone collars. Next to the initial Edge practice jerseys, this might be their worst look.

I don't know if it was "goofy"...maybe more untraditional...as the font was trying to connect to the wordmark in the logo. 

The late 90s used that font for the NOB and the numbers (a modified Kabel Black) and I liked it for the 90s, but it was too abnormal for an O6 team and a return to a block font was inevitable. 

1999-2000 Toronto Maple Leafs - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

36 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I don't know if it was "goofy"...maybe more untraditional...as the font was trying to connect to the wordmark in the logo. 

The late 90s used that font for the NOB and the numbers (kind of a modified Futura) and I liked it for the 90s, but it was too abnormal for an O6 team and a return to a block font was inevitable. 

1999-2000 Toronto Maple Leafs - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

It was just strange that when they changed the numbers back to the traditional block font they didn't bother to change the NOB.

48 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

fair points.  I mainly just meant the striping.   So I guess the 92-97 uniform:

wlKnMZC.png

On 6/2/2021 at 12:58 AM, B-mer said:

spacer.png

did they though?

At least go back to the triple Northwestern stripe socks. I think those look great and classic Leafs.

media_2ae7e897-1bb2-4d99-9d02-cb920ed54b49_1200x.jpg?v=1523030826

9 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

At least go back to the triple Northwestern stripe socks. I think those look great and classic Leafs.

media_2ae7e897-1bb2-4d99-9d02-cb920ed54b49_1200x.jpg?v=1523030826

Yes, but i don't think these would fit with their current uniforms.  too much inconsistency in 1 stripe, 2 stripes, 3 stripes.  They'd turn into a Dr Seuss team.  1 stripe, 2 stripes, white stripes, blue stripes.

2 hours ago, B-mer said:

Yes, but i don't think these would fit with their current uniforms.  too much inconsistency in 1 stripe, 2 stripes, 3 stripes.  They'd turn into a Dr Seuss team.  1 stripe, 2 stripes, white stripes, blue stripes.

That's why the 1967-70 set that @SFGiants58 posted is their best set.  The stripes are consistent between the sweaters and the socks and they have the white collar.

I know it’s the common thing to wear the same shorts at home and on the road, but the Avs really need burgundy shorts on the road. Easy 10/10 uni set with that change for me. 

spacer.png

Archived