2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

5 minutes ago, nash61 said:

I'm here for that.

5e17pdgarfo41.jpg

Thank you for this. I'm totally stealing this for my Nike NHL series.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/22/2021 at 6:05 AM, habsfan1 said:

Are the Oilers really going to make their navy blue and orange neon jerseys the new primary home jersey? They are promoting the heck out of that look in these playoffs. I spotted a huge version of the neon logo on one of the seat cover panels and the team's Twitter avatar is that logo sorta on a white background with a navy outline.

I think it's a sign that the Oilers are going back to blue at home, but not necessarily those specific jerseys. I've heard a lot of rumours about a return to the '80s royal blues.

It reminds me of the Ducks in the '06 playoffs. They shifted their black & eggplant wordmark alternates to primary status, which foreshadowed their switch to a different black, wordmark-centered jersey the next season.

spacer.png

The Oilers going back to royal also fits the throwback look trend that's very clearly formed in the NHL at the moment. Honestly would not shock me if the Ducks are next to go back to their original look full-time.

6 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

Those Ducks jerseys are beloved by a lot of people, but I never got it. They look like Kings jerseys

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Honestly would not shock me if the Ducks are next to go back to their original look full-time.

It would shock me, because there's no read either way from the organization.

IbjBaeE.png

4 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

It feels like everything's kinda leading to that; the Ducks' RR is super popular, there's an anniversary season coming soon, many teams are rebranding to retro looks as of late, and the Mighty Ducks look is still among the most popular looks in the league, even with how long the team's been using their current style of branding.

The only real obstacle against it is if the Samuelis are that deadset, but somehow I wonder if they aren't considering it to gain a bunch of revenue from merch sales and the like, especially with the franchise's 30th anniversary coming up pretty soon.

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

It feels like everything's kinda leading to that; the Ducks' RR is super popular, there's an anniversary season coming soon, many teams are rebranding to retro looks as of late, and the Mighty Ducks look is still among the most popular looks in the league, even with how long the team's been using their current style of branding.

It's the same trajectory the Coyotes are on, and it's pretty much a given we're getting a white Kachina reveal this offseason.

I don't think it's exactly akin to the Coyotes situation. The current Ducks owners were the same owners who changed it in the first place and there's been nothing concrete or official to suggest that they've wanted to change it back.

If it's going to happen, I don't think it'll be a full return to the eggplant and jade Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. It'll probably be something akin to the 25th anniversary jersey or the orange alternate and the name won't change.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I don't think it's exactly akin to the Coyotes situation. The current Ducks owners were the same owners who changed it in the first place and there's been nothing concrete or official to suggest that they've wanted to change it back.

If it's going to happen, I don't think it'll be a full return to the eggplant and jade Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. It'll probably be something akin to the 25th anniversary jersey or the orange alternate and the name won't change.

The eggplant and jade is probably the better way to go, but I have to agree that the old crest in orange and black is the more likely scenario.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I think their best move would be to move to the orange jersey as the primary with a matching road and use the throwback as an alt. There is no reason why the duck mask logo can't work full-time with the Anaheim Ducks name. They don't have to go back to being the Mighty Ducks.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

3 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Agreed.

They should though.

No. As good as it is for my fantasy team, it doesn't roll off the tongue and really screams 1990s. The look is timeless. The name isn't.

49 minutes ago, Nordiks_19 said:

If the Ducks are indeed planning to change their look, they should take the 25th anniversary jersey and make a matching white with it.

Would look gorgeous

They should have made the 25th jersey eggplant instead of black, though. 

Hopefully the Ducks' next home jersey isn't another black jersey. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The striping on the Duck's cup-winning-set was so much more tasteful than the over-wrought side-panels they use now.  I wish they'd just replaced the script with the stand-alone 'D' and (maybe) added more orange to striping...  The logo feels suffocated on the current uniforms.

2 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

The striping on the Duck's cup-winning-set was so much more tasteful than the over-wrought side-panels they use now.  I wish they'd just replaced the script with the stand-alone 'D' and (maybe) added more orange to striping...  The logo feels suffocated on the current uniforms.

But it was so bland, they looked like knockoff penguins

Archived