2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Coyotes keep using their Kachina jerseys for press conferences and a lot of promotional materials. Before Hall or Phil even had their press conferences, the Yotes marketing staff released photoshopped pics of them wearing the jerseys. Owner said he loves them. 

cut.jpg

cropped_KesselKachina.jpg?ts=1567566478

I'm pretty sure that teams that currently have thirds must keep them in the jersey/sweater rotation for three seasons.

Now in terms of teams that should change...

Arizona to Kachinas full time
Calgary to throwback look full time
Winnipeg to throwback look full time (not sure what the True North, Coyotes, and NHL agreement is on the current Jets using the old Jets logo is)

Now in terms of what we will see...

Buffalo back to royal blue
Special jerseys for the outdoor games next season (rumour going around is Carolina will get one of them)

22 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

I'm pretty sure that teams that currently have thirds must keep them in the jersey/sweater rotation for three seasons.

Now in terms of teams that should change...

Winnipeg to throwback look full time (not sure what the True North, Coyotes, and NHL agreement is on the current Jets using the old Jets logo is)

Now in terms of what we will see...

Buffalo back to royal blue
Special jerseys for the outdoor games next season (rumour going around is Carolina will get one of them)

Minnesota has been pushing to get the Winter Classic for next year, which is why there hasn’t been a third from them this year...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, tohasbo said:

This is pretty likely given how prominently the Kachinas are used in the team marketing.

Pretty sure this one is already confirmed as happening next season.

This one I doubt happens full-time, simply because the organization has set a color scheme that they seem quite happy with and I doubt they'll change it purely for nostalgia. I'd actually argue they might go and throwback to the 90's Jets look now that they've exhausted the options they have for the original Jets logo;

spacer.png

5 hours ago, squamfan said:

who would be aganist, Canucks Bruins, Hawks Pens?

Of that list, only the Canucks or Hawks makes sense for the Wild...

5 hours ago, tajmccall said:

The money is on St. Louis according to MN Hockey Legend Lou Nanne, who is well connected here and in the NHL. 

This makes a lotta sense. The other teams that might work would be the Avalanche or Jets. St. Louis being the most recent Cup champs might bring the most national interest. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 12/19/2019 at 5:46 PM, squamfan said:

Any news about changes for next season?

Buffalo has confirmed they will go to royal blue

Ottawa is getting new jersey based on rumors

Canucks might change third jersey has this year might be for only this year

I feel as though we've been hearing this for 10 years. 

sig.png

21 hours ago, tohasbo said:

As Jets fan, I think they should’ve make the uniforms inspired by Heritage jerseys. Honestly, they look better in blue pants. Like the Seahawks’s all blue. Keep the pants blue and add red striping.  Also I agreed with you, Coyotes and Flames should’ve change to their throwbacks full time. 

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

17 hours ago, ebod39 said:

Except... they just hosted an outdoor game in 2017.  Too soon Lou.

Except the Rangers played in 2 outdoor games in the same year in 2014, 2 years after they played in the Winter Classic.  Chicago played in the 2015 and 2017 Winter Classic, 2014 and 2016 Stadium Series.  Pittsburgh and Philadelphia played each other in the Stadium Series in 2017 and 2019.  So, St Louis hosting the Winter Classic in 2017 wouldn't exactly be an issue for them to being Minnesota's opponent if they were to get the Winter Classic.  Unless, you prefer the Blackhawks?

Just an observation: the Islanders' fisherman throwback gear is selling like hotcakes. There were a LOT of Fishstick jerseys and hats at the Coliseum yesterday. I could definitely see it becoming one of these 3X a year throwbacks now that the NHL and Adidas has opened up that avenue this year. By no means should it be a full time alt because it's still an objectively bad jersey, but it would be fun to see every now and then.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

15 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Just an observation: the Islanders' fisherman throwback gear is selling like hotcakes. There were a LOT of Fishstick jerseys and hats at the Coliseum yesterday. I could definitely see it becoming one of these 3X a year throwbacks now that the NHL and Adidas has opened up that avenue this year. By no means should it be a full time alt because it's still an objectively bad jersey, but it would be fun to see every now and then.

I think it is a perfect time capsule uniform from the mid-90s. If the colors would have been used for, say, the Thrashers or the Predators in their inaugural season, it would have been much better received. The colors are great and, while the uniforms look dated, the look was solid. It just so happens that the Islanders, who had an established look by then (and very good success in that look), decided on this change. There was no need for the Islanders to rebrand. 

Archived