2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

22 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

I think it is a perfect time capsule uniform from the mid-90s. If the colors would have been used for, say, the Thrashers or the Predators in their inaugural season, it would have been much better received. The colors are great and, while the uniforms look dated, the look was solid. It just so happens that the Islanders, who had an established look by then (and very good success in that look), decided on this change. There was no need for the Islanders to rebrand. 

I think the issue was more the timing; the rebrand came around right as the Isle really began plummeting off a cliff in terms of on-ice skill; going 22-50-10 the first year of the rebrand and 29-41-12 the second was not exactly the perfect look for an already-controversial rebrand.

It might have stuck around longer if the Islanders weren't a complete and utter trashfire at that point.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/21/2019 at 10:49 AM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I feel as though we've been hearing this for 10 years. 

You can thank the dysfunction & high turnover rate in the front office for that. Tom Anselmi came on as President/CEO in '17 and it looked like he would be heading the rebranding efforts. The team seemed to be transitioning to the =O= logo full time while he was there (it was moved to centre ice & was used prominently in all promotional material), but he resigned the following year.

The team then brought in Aimee Deziel as Chief Marketing Officer, and she was tasked with evaluating the brand. They returned the centurion logo to the forefront and started the process from scratch. Surveys were sent out, and she mentioned new uniforms being ready by the '21 season at the earliest (she never clarified whether that meant '20-'21 or '21-'22).

Of course she left the team this summer, so who knows where they are in the process now?

15 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Just an observation: the Islanders' fisherman throwback gear is selling like hotcakes. There were a LOT of Fishstick jerseys and hats at the Coliseum yesterday. I could definitely see it becoming one of these 3X a year throwbacks now that the NHL and Adidas has opened up that avenue this year. By no means should it be a full time alt because it's still an objectively bad jersey, but it would be fun to see every now and then.

I was over at Northwell a couple of weeks ago and was shocked at the amount of Gordon’s Fisherman gear that they had for sale.  Were most of the people you saw wearing that gear actually old enough to remember the team wearing it?

14 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

I think the issue was more the timing; the rebrand came around right as the Isle really began plummeting off a cliff in terms of on-ice skill; going 22-50-10 the first year of the rebrand and 29-41-12 the second was not exactly the perfect look for an already-controversial rebrand.

It might have stuck around longer if the Islanders weren't a complete and utter trashfire at that point.

I think the issues were first the move away from the dynasty colors and logo which pissed off a lot of the fan base. Second was the grief we got from Ranger fans. “We want fish sticks!!!” was heard an awful lot during that time and really didn’t help.  In fact the loss of the logo was such a big issue that they had the one or two season hybrid set with the original logo.  Trust me on this as a lifelong Islander fan who’s first memories was of the dynasty years that the protests against the Gordon’s Fisherman (or Stan Fischer or whatever else that abomination was called during that time) that there was no way that logo was going to stick around trash heap fire or not. 

6 hours ago, tp49 said:

I was over at Northwell a couple of weeks ago and was shocked at the amount of Gordon’s Fisherman gear that they had for sale.  Were most of the people you saw wearing that gear actually old enough to remember the team wearing it?

Believe it or not, actually yes. Mostly those in their post-college age 20s and 30s were wearing the 90s gear

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

On 12/21/2019 at 8:00 PM, ebod39 said:

In case if that happens, Jets should've wear a Falcons-inspired jersey, possible. they should made a tribute to the city's former IHL team.

And the Wild?  Well they would wear a North Stars-inspired jersey, but I'm just curious if they would wear a throwback for a tribute to state's former AHA team, the Minneapolis Millers.

300px-Winnipeg_Falcons_Jersey.jpg 257e11fc-144a-4d1f-9cf1-01c4df22d2fe.jpg

71OCp1XQjvL._SX425_.jpgmillers-hockey-front_600x.jpg?v=14872682

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

13 hours ago, Bmac said:

Regarding the Islanders 90's branding fiasco, I highly recommend reading this book if you haven't already:

81FeU2BJU2L.jpg

I was 15 years old at the time of the rebrand.  Even though I thought the logo was awesome I still felt like it was a bad look for the Islanders at the time and very unnecessary.  Maybe if a new expansion team at the time had been started up with this uniform and logo in a place like Seattle or Halifax if would have been fine.  

1 hour ago, Eastport76 said:

And the Wild?  Well they would wear a North Stars-inspired jersey, but I'm just curious if they would wear a throwback for a tribute to state's former AHA team, the Minneapolis Millers.

71OCp1XQjvL._SX425_.jpgmillers-hockey-front_600x.jpg?v=14872682

Or Minnesota's other AHA team, the St. Paul Saints. Though in all honesty, they'd probably have to with a "Minnesota" team--like the Minnesota Fighting Saints--because there truly is a rivalry between Minneapolis and St. Paul, and wearing the jersey of one city or the other would alienate half their fan base.

1934-1935-St-Paul-Saints-2.jpg

1972-1976_Fighting_Saints_1024x1024.jpg?

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

As someone who grew up on the St. Paul side of the cities, I would be disappointed to see the Wild wear a Minneapolis-inspired jersey. Plus the Wild actually play in St. Paul, and not Minneapolis. So the Minnesota Fighting Saints would be the way to go...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, Mingjai said:

Or Minnesota's other AHA team, the St. Paul Saints. Though in all honesty, they'd probably have to with a "Minnesota" team--like the Minnesota Fighting Saints--because there truly is a rivalry between Minneapolis and St. Paul, and wearing the jersey of one city or the other would alienate half their fan base.

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

As someone who grew up on the St. Paul side of the cities, I would be disappointed to see the Wild wear a Minneapolis-inspired jersey. Plus the Wild actually play in St. Paul, and not Minneapolis. So the Minnesota Fighting Saints would be the way to go...

Agreed. That's the problem.  

A Fighting Saint-inpirsed jersey is a better choice.

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

33 minutes ago, Flames1fan said:

where did you here that from, I didnt see or her anything about this. show me the proof

IIRC, some tweets from a Flames marketing(?) person before last year’s playoffs once they announced they were wearing the retros for those playoffs implied a potential change.

Then with the white Winter Classic versions being worn in games since then combined with the trend of teams turning outdoor jerseys into full-time jerseys, leads to the thinking the Flames could be going full retro.

IbjBaeE.png

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

IIRC, some tweets from a Flames marketing(?) person before last year’s playoffs once they announced they were wearing the retros for those playoffs implied a potential change.

Then with the white Winter Classic versions being worn in games since then combined with the trend of teams turning outdoor jerseys into full-time jerseys, leads to the thinking the Flames could be going full retro.

I think it's pretty standard for teams to wear their outdoor game jerseys once or twice more afterwards, but the only team that I can think of that has actually made a switch to them full time for home/away would be Philadelphia.  A few have turned them into alternates.  Doesn't mean Calgary isn't going to go full retro, but I think they should keep the black as the secondary colour and not as a simple outline.  Best jersey for the Flames is still the pre-Edge jerseys.  Regardless, just about anything (maybe) is better than what they currently have.  It's still pretty amazing that they haven't changed them outside of having the trim to nowhere removed when Adidas took over.

10 hours ago, monkeypower said:

According to Icethetics’ anniversary tracker graphic, there are no team anniversaries next season. So nothing to be expected on that front.

Well the Wild should be celebrating their 20th anniversary next year. As it’s the 2020-21 season. They did wear the patches for the 10th in 2010-11 so it would make sense for them next year.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

14 hours ago, monkeypower said:

According to Icethetics’ anniversary tracker graphic, there are no team anniversaries next season. So nothing to be expected on that front.

3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Well the Wild should be celebrating their 20th anniversary next year. As it’s the 2020-21 season. They did wear the patches for the 10th in 2010-11 so it would make sense for them next year.

Columbus as well.

The Avalanche could have a special 25th anniversary patch for next season as well.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:09 PM, kw11333 said:

The Coyotes keep using their Kachina jerseys for press conferences and a lot of promotional materials. Before Hall or Phil even had their press conferences, the Yotes marketing staff released photoshopped pics of them wearing the jerseys. Owner said he loves them. 

cut.jpg

cropped_KesselKachina.jpg?ts=1567566478

Love these a lot. So much character. It ties into the local culture, pays respect to the indigenous heritage of the area and it's a completely unique color palate and identity. This should be what they base their entire identity off of. Such a strong brand direction

Archived