Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

And here we thought Nike might be able to come up with a decent set of numbers. (To be fair, on the whole, this is a decent set of numbers. That 7 is just unfortunate.)

After evaluating it more I actually think it’s a very solid set of numbers. The 7 is bad, but on the whole I’d give it probably an 8 or 8.5 out of 10. It maintains the proportions of the classic block, and as a result still reads as a classic block at first glance, but the rounded corners give it a little contemporary touch without doing too much. And it does match the wordmark font with the mix of rounded corners and hard edges, but it’s not as thick as the wordmark and is sort of a hybrid of that font and of the classic block. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

After evaluating it more I actually think it’s a very solid set of numbers. The 7 is bad, but on the whole I’d give it probably an 8 or 8.5 out of 10.

If only one out of ten numbers are bad shouldn't the rating be 9/10? 🤔

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

9 minutes ago, LAWeaver said:

If only one out of ten numbers are bad shouldn't the rating be 9/10? 🤔

There’s more to evaluating a set of numbers than just saying how many of the numbers look “good” or “bad”. I like the font and think it’s a nice modern adaptation of classic block, but I still think there are a few issues besides the lousy ‘7’. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 4/16/2020 at 3:37 PM, upperV03 said:

Syracuse changed back to more traditional uniforms last year, which look nothing like Illinois’ set:

spacer.png
Yeah Illinois’ current set has some similarities to Syracuse’s previous set, but there were plenty of distinguishing qualities and the two schools have looked similar for quite some time. To suggest that Syracuse should take legal action is just ridiculous, especially since Nike designed both sets and because, like I said, the two schools have had many similar looks over the years. Plus Syracuse never should’ve looked like that anyways, and thankfully have rectified that with their new set that’s more in line with their uniform history.

I miss these ones despite the drop shadow:

spacer.png

On 4/16/2020 at 7:55 PM, WavePunter said:

Vintage falcons, vintage chargers, vintage broncos.. 3 different colored elements, all used dark/light/dark pants striping.. 

And all three have their own unique quirks that make them different than the Browns, whether it be a different stripe pattern, inverted dark/light relationship, or a truly unique white helmet/gold pants arrangement.

Of the three, Atlanta’s old look is the most similar to the Browns, but even then I don’t think it fits your rules, as the helmet had a white/black/white stripe and while the black/red/black stripe on the pants coordinated pretty well with the interior section of the black jersey’s sleeve stripes, that connection was lost when the colors of the stripe pattern flipped on the white jersey.

On 4/17/2020 at 9:31 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

Depends on which vintage...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Denver is a bit different because they had a dark helmet and light jersey, but their configuration actually supports *my* point of view (for the most part).

As OSV pointed out here, the stripe on their white pants was orange/blue/orange for nearly 20 years before it was blue/orange/blue, but they also wore blue socks during that time, which balanced the helmet (and the Browns would likely also need to make a change in sock color to make brown/orange/brown stripes work).

Similarly, when Denver finally switched the pant stripe to blue/orange/blue, they had already been wearing orange socks for a few years, so the change in stripe sequence really just acted as a counterbalance to the change in sock color that preceded it. When the pants were more orange-dominant, the blue socks provided the balance, when the socks changed to orange, the pants eventually changed to become more blue-dominant to provide the balance.

3 hours ago, bowld said:

What's with the 7...

spacer.png

That’s unexpected. Not sure I like it for the Browns, but that’s one stylish 7.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

And all three have their own unique quirks that make them different than the Browns, whether it be a different stripe pattern, inverted dark/light relationship, or a truly unique white helmet/gold pants arrangement.

Of the three, Atlanta’s old look is the most similar to the Browns, but even then I don’t think it fits your rules, as the helmet had a white/black/white stripe and while the black/red/black stripe on the pants coordinated pretty well with the interior section of the black jersey’s sleeve stripes, that connection was lost when the colors of the stripe pattern flipped on the white jersey.

Denver is a bit different because they had a dark helmet and light jersey, but their configuration actually supports *my* point of view (for the most part).

As OSV pointed out here, the stripe on their white pants was orange/blue/orange for nearly 20 years before it was blue/orange/blue, but they also wore blue socks during that time, which balanced the helmet (and the Browns would likely also need to make a change in sock color to make brown/orange/brown stripes work).

Similarly, when Denver finally switched the pant stripe to blue/orange/blue, they had already been wearing orange socks for a few years, so the change in stripe sequence really just acted as a counterbalance to the change in sock color that preceded it. When the pants were more orange-dominant, the blue socks provided the balance, when the socks changed to orange, the pants eventually changed to become more blue-dominant to provide the balance.

That’s unexpected. Not sure I like it for the Browns, but that’s one stylish 7.

Well, all 3 of those teams aren't the Browns, so yeah there'll be some differences. The emphasis was on the pants striping, which followed the dark/light/dark pattern..

As for the Broncos, yes they wore the OBO stripes for a while before correcting to the BOB for a decade before their rebrand, but they also wore the BOB with their initial orange/blue set that lasted nearly a decade.. also, it's worth mentioning that their OBO stripes originally had a thick blue stripe bordered by narrow orange stripes.. that's a fundamentally different treatment than a standard triple-stripe of equal (or at least very similar) widths... So much of that argument for OBO (or oBo as it actually was), loses some of its value, since it's a different type of striping pattern (I actually specifically mentioned that I was referring to the Browns' type of standard triple stripe much earlier in the discussion for this very reason).. take the current Dolphins for example.. yes, it's Orange/Aqua/Orange, but it's still more Aqua-heavy because it's essentially a wide aqua stripe with orange borders.. it can't be reasonably compared to the Browns' pants stripe because it's a very different type of stripe.. the Patriots' silver pants would be an even bigger difference in stripe style, even though each style is technically created with "3 stripes - in a light/dark/light pattern".. so, like the current Dolphins and Texans, and to some extent the Patriots, the Broncos OBO striping isn't the same as the Browns OBO striping..

Also, the whole "socks" argument is irrelevant.. they would've been better off keeping the blue socks after the switch.. while we're on the topic of blue socks, the Giants road uniforms could benefit from blue socks as well.. 

2 minutes ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

Hopefully in another season or two, the Browns come to their senses and replace tat God awful brown facemask with either white or gray.

The brown facemask is the only thing holding this uniform back.

I’d say it’s the bow on the gift. Tying everything together in a cohesive identity.

1 minute ago, DNAsports said:

I’d say it’s the bow on the gift. Tying everything together in a cohesive identity.

I hear what you're saying. But the orange helmet with dark facemask brings the look of their helmet too close to the Bengals.

At least with the white or gray facemask, it gave them more of their own identity. Plus, to my eye, the white or gray looks much better.

5 minutes ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

I hear what you're saying. But the orange helmet with dark facemask brings the look of their helmet too close to the Bengals.

At least with the white or gray facemask, it gave them more of their own identity. Plus, to my eye, the white or gray looks much better.

Yeah sure the colors are close, but there’s no way you’d get the two mixed up? The designs are completely different from one another.

spacer.png

spacer.png

But then again, there is the thing of Paul Brown establishing the Bengals

If the Browns slapped their wordmark on the side of their helmet, switched to a gray facemask and the Bengals wore throwback uniforms, you might have a point. Otherwise, they looking nothing alike. Sure, they’re both orange, but have different finishes, different color facemasks and different stripes, not to mention one uses a decal and the other paints their stripes on. There are numerous teams in the league that use the same color shell and facemask, yet that concern is not shared in those instances. 

19 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Yeah sure the colors are close, but there’s no way you’d get the two mixed up? The designs are completely different from one another.

spacer.png

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

If the Browns slapped their wordmark on the side of their helmet, switched to a gray facemask and the Bengals wore throwback uniforms, you might have a point. Otherwise, they looking nothing alike. Sure, they’re both orange, but have different finishes, different color facemasks and different stripes, not to mention one uses a decal and the other paints their stripes on. There are numerous teams in the league that use the same color shell and facemask, yet that concern is not shared in those instances. 

19 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

I'm thinking in terms of watching a game more at distance than an actual side by side comparison.

Orange helmets w/ dark facemask = very similar IMO. Too similar.

1 minute ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

I'm thinking in terms of watching a game more at distance than an actual side by side comparison.

I still don’t think you’d get them mixed up from a distance. Again, the designs are drastically different enough to not cause confusion 

5 minutes ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

But even in the two times a year they play, it’s not as if the helmets are the only piece of equipment being worn. They have contrasting uniforms (typically brown vs white or black vs white), and their uniforms are actually quite different in terms of design. Even the one time the Bengals went orange-orange-white and the Browns went orange-white-orange in 2017, it was still pretty obvious on television and in the stands which team was which. That concern is even less valid when they’re playing another team, seeing as you’ll either 1. Know what game you’re at and easily identify whether it’s the Bengals or Browns, or 2. See an up-close shot when watching the television, which also has other identifiable markers. 

38 minutes ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

I'm thinking in terms of watching a game more at distance than an actual side by side comparison

uvWgCjN.jpg

I can see where you're coming from. Looking at it from my phone completely zoomed out it is hard to make out the Bengals pattern and the Browns stripes but I can't really make out what colors the facemasks are (perhaps them being a dark color contributes to that). A casual fan unfamiliar with the other uniform elements might have trouble with that but could figure out who's who based on graphics and close up shots. On the other hand, if you were to watch this game on a modern HD TV of almost any size, I don't think you'd have any problem distinguishing between the two

20 hours ago, upperV03 said:

After evaluating it more I actually think it’s a very solid set of numbers. The 7 is bad, but on the whole I’d give it probably an 8 or 8.5 out of 10. It maintains the proportions of the classic block, and as a result still reads as a classic block at first glance, but the rounded corners give it a little contemporary touch without doing too much. And it does match the wordmark font with the mix of rounded corners and hard edges, but it’s not as thick as the wordmark and is sort of a hybrid of that font and of the classic block. 

I forget when the font first came out 5-6 years ago, someone made a really great graphic showing how the custom font really wasn't all that custom.  The rounded portions and pointed portions basically corresponded to true alphabetical and numerical form.  It made me feel better about it.

Archived